Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just offering my experience with Fiebings dye so no one else makes same mistake.

I was dyeing my leather last night and left the application pad on the back fender. You can see the mark that it left. It's into the paint so nothing that will buff out. I was used alcohol to thin the dye and never imagined the paint was permeable to alcohol.

You can also see where I have a stain now left of the tank strap. Sloppy, because usually I slip some paper under the strap to keep it clean while I apply tax and such. I got sloppy last night and didn't do it.

Oh well, I now have a daily reminder to slow down and do the job right -- and clean up after myself.

IMG_0048.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try using Fiebings #12 deglazer cleaner. When I dyed my bags I sat them on my white washing machine to dry. I got some dye on the washer. Nothing short of a grinder would remove the stain. Two years later I re dyed the saddle bags. When using the deglazer on the bags I thought I would try a little on the washer. The stain came right off. Not sure how it would work on that Indian paint. Looks like a 2014 Chief Vintage, Springfield blue. They were noted to have soft paint. The chrome should be OK. Go easy and good luck.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try using Fiebings #12 deglazer cleaner. When I dyed my bags I sat them on my white washing machine to dry. I got some dye on the washer. Nothing short of a grinder would remove the stain. Two years later I re dyed the saddle bags. When using the deglazer on the bags I thought I would try a little on the washer. The stain came right off. Not sure how it would work on that Indian paint. Looks like a 2014 Chief Vintage, Springfield blue. They were noted to have soft paint. The chrome should be OK. Go easy and good luck.
Thanks. Yes, I'll try that approach. The Fiebings deglazer is really just acetone, so I'll try that. This stain seems to have penetrated the clear coat and gotten into the color coat. Sure glad I did not leave the pad on the more visible area of the gas tank after just getting it airbrushed. (Funny, this is one time I wish the Fiebings dye WOULD fade!)
IMG_0050.JPG

·
Bronze member
2,568 Posts
The paint on the early 111s was soft so getting the stain out could be a tuff job, good luck and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
My first thought when I saw your photo was "Pretty good dye job", but when you mentioned the stain on the tank I did notice it. My guess is that no one ever will notice if you don't point it out. I'm sure it bothers you, but it really doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Which dye for 2015 Roadmaster? Thanks

·
Rider
1,391 Posts
Have you tried to clay bar the spot yet? The dye may have stuck to the wax that sits ontop on the clear coat. Also try Wizards cutting wax.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried to clay bar the spot yet? The dye may have stuck to the wax that sits ontop on the clear coat. Also try Wizards cutting wax.
Thanksi, I wish, but as stated, it penetrated the clear cost. I posted as a caution to anyone using the alcohol -based dye to keep it off painted surfaces.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Skipll, I so feel for you especially with the great air brush job. It would be giving me the s....ts every time I looked at it. I don't know what I would do. But I do know eventually I would have to get it repainted again. I am so anal about having everything perfect on my bikes and cars.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skipll, I so feel for you especially with the great air brush job. It would be giving me the s....ts every time I looked at it. I don't know what I would do. But I do know eventually I would have to get it repainted again. I am so anal about having everything perfect on my bikes and cars.
Alas, I have a solution. The blotch on the fender is right where the pillion seat goes so I can put that back on. I am already looking at getting a custom dash/bib slightly wider than stock to cover those marks.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
o
My first thought when I saw your photo was "Pretty good dye job", but when you mentioned the stain on the tank I did notice it. My guess is that no one ever will notice if you don't point it out. I'm sure it bothers you, but it really doesn't look too bad.
Pay no attention to that elephant in the room!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I'll try that approach. The Fiebings deglazer is really just acetone, so I'll try that. This stain seems to have penetrated the clear coat and gotten into the color coat. Sure glad I did not leave the pad on the more visible area of the gas tank after just getting it airbrushed. (Funny, this is one time I wish the Fiebings dye WOULD fade!) View attachment 518700
Love the Indian logo

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanksi, I wish, but as stated, it penetrated the clear cost. I posted as a caution to anyone using the alcohol -based dye to keep it off painted surfaces.
Okay, I’ll be the one to ask the silly, obvious question.

How do you know it has penetrated the clear coat?

·
Bronze member
2,663 Posts
You could also try a brand name Polishing Compound.That's what I've been using on cars,trucks,boats,and bike finishes, and it worked pretty good!! Whadaya have to lose? Give it a shot!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts