Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened, I was doing 55 in a slight curve (speed limit was 70) and a car pulled out in front of me. Administered a swerve and the back end caught gravel. Had all my gear except a jacket on and the saying "dress for the slide not the ride" rings true. Me and my baby got a few scratches but I'm getting her fixed next week. Even driving defensively can hurt. Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 601279 View attachment 601280 Well it happened, I was doing 55 in a slight curve (speed limit was 70) and a car pulled out in front of me. Administered a swerve and the back end caught gravel. Had all my gear except a jacket on and the saying "dress for the slide not the ride" rings true. Me and my baby got a few scratches but I'm getting her fixed next week. Even driving defensively can hurt. Stay safe out there.
I've had my scout 60 since May. Love the bike but I've been told all my life that it's not if you have and accident but when. It's gonna happen if you ride. Glade you are ok.
Dwayne

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
626 Posts
Thank God you made it through that! It could have ended much differently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooof. Glad you're alright 'cept for the rash.
Thanks! Rash ain't terrible considering what could have been.
I've had my scout 60 since May. Love the bike but I've been told all my life that it's not if you have and accident but when. It's gonna happen if you ride. Glade you are ok.
Dwayne
Thanks Dwayne, definitely heard the same, had a few "I told you so" convos after.
Thank God you made it through that! It could have ended much differently.
Yes sir, helmet was a big factor in that plus laying it down instead of trying to ride it out through a fence. All in all one of the better outcomes.
I don't know what hurts the most after you get up, looking at the damage to your bike or the damage to your body. Glad your ok.
I hear ya on that, watching her hit the grass and roll hurt more than the sliding. Hell I'll put my pride as what hurts the most! Lol

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I'm glad you're OK. Seeing pics like these brings home the message that any of us could face the same thing at any time. I hope they get the bike fixed up soon.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
424 Posts
That looks like it stings a bit! But otherwise looks like you are OK, and I'm glad you are. Be safe out there guys.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not to hijack your thread and I'm glad you're ok as well. I've been riding since I was 15 (illegally of course LoL) I am now 46 (or so - I don't keep track anymore) and I had my first accident last year. Luckily for me, the shop I was pulling into had outside video surveillance cameras. So for your viewing enjoyment:

Hit me around 45MPH (I know it doesn't look like that fast on the video) but he hit me hard enough to bend the frame on my BELOVED Vic CCT. May she rest in peace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to hijack your thread and I'm glad you're ok as well. I've been riding since I was 15 (illegally of course LoL) I am now 46 (or so - I don't keep track anymore) and I had my first accident last year. Luckily for me, the shop I was pulling into had outside video surveillance cameras. So for your viewing enjoyment:

Hit me around 45MPH (I know it doesn't look like that fast on the video) but he hit me hard enough to bend the frame on my BELOVED Vic CCT. May she rest in peace.
Oh man! At least you had video although I'm sure you hate watching it! I'm glad you're ok. I didn't have a camera but at least they stopped. Just hate that it happened

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
626 Posts
To Paraphrase an old firearm safety rule,"Treat every vehicle as if it is on a mission to KILL you." They don't give two pieces of fecal matter about us unless they are one of us. Even with that awareness they will still try to take you out, be vigilant. I have even had young punks on "metrics" try to KILL me. I wish the Castle doctrine applied to motorcycle riding, my ammo bill would be pretty high.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ouch - hope the driver stopped and provided some insurance information to you. From recent experience from a major accident, the price to fix a MC is about 5 times the cost to build the same MC. After all the smoke cleared after 2.5 months of repairs, the total was $13K on my Vintage (expensive retail prices for parts + labor added). Hope you can get the car driver to cover your costs.

·
Rider
1,034 Posts
Thank God you're okay brother, can replace jacket and parts, but not you!
Good on ya for wearing the right gear!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigPoo32

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse, for you or your bike.
I also wear all the gear almost all the time and try to drive responsibly, but like your swerve and slide proves, sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ouch! Glad that it wasn't worse. Even defensive riding can have a bad outcome. Stay safe out there.

Reactions: BigPoo32
1 - 20 of 23 Posts