Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Water vapor is the by product of combustion, and all engines have blow by and that’s how moisture and contaminants get in the oil
Irrelevant. At operating temperature it's gone, and oil that is still new has additives to deal with it. Otherwise your oil at extended intervals would be doing the same thing anyway.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,104 Posts
Just start it up once a month for a few minutes and you will be fine.
Worst advice in this thread. Doing nothing will cause less damage than starting it for a few minutes once a month

·
Registered
48 Posts
My preference on bikes is always change every 4k additionallly always doing a winter oil change regardless of mileage since the last 4k change was done.

Always do it yourself - It is really easy, it is cheaper and of known quality and it adds points back onto your "guy" card.

I feel the 3 reasons for always doing a winter oil change are...
A) if ya can't ride the bike in the snow ya can at least go caress it, love it, turn a wrench on it.
B) on the first even kinda warm day of next year you are minutes from riding - meanwhile your buddies are d'ckng around doing things you did when snow was flying.
C) Ya avoid concerns real or imagined regarding sludge, acid, water sitting for months within a bike.

Others have different opinions which work for them and that is OK too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A bit of food for thought. Project farm did a video on this where he sent year old oil in for analysis.
for those who don't want to watch it, the oil tested fine for moisture, acid and viscosity (the three big concerns with old oil). That being said, I still change mine oil annually just because.

**edited a grammar error

·
Registered
48 Posts
Btw, when you change your own oil there is a 5 min to wait for drainage. This event is the motivation and free time to critically look at rest of bike as you wait for drainage. One looks at Tire wear/condition. Drive Belt wear/condition, look at and adjust the clutch play, check brake fluid color and brake fluid level, look at brake pad thickness or lack thereof. This is stuff a shade tree mechanic will do during an oil change but a dealership oil tech might not. I feel many who have adopted a 10k OCI have also have delayed all the other tasks which one routinely performed during an oil change. For saftey and sanity all that other stuff still needs to occur and the OCI is a reason to do it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Btw, when you change your own oil there is a 5 min to wait for drainage. This event is the motivation and free time to critically look at rest of bike as you wait for drainage. One looks at Tire wear/condition. Drive Belt wear/condition, look at and adjust the clutch play, check brake fluid color and brake fluid level, look at brake pad thickness or lack thereof. This is stuff a shade tree mechanic will do during an oil change but a dealership oil tech might not. I feel many who have adopted a 10k OCI have also have delayed all the other tasks which one routinely performed during an oil change. For saftey and sanity all that other stuff still needs to occur and the OCI is a reason to do it.
I always say almost the same about hand washing your bike too. It’s a chance for a once over as you move around each part of the bike.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm from Pennsylvania - decently cold winters.
I'll ride it from time to time on some nicer winter days when there isn't salt on the road just to keep fluids rotated - just short 20-25 minute jaunts.
I've had it since 2016, only done the 10k interval changes, trickle charger, and have had zero issues.
She's taken me on many overnight weekender trips with plenty of long stretches at sustained highway speed. Again, zero issues.

·
Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
350 Posts
Maybe I will cause a shiit storm but
Change it.What else can we do to maintain the bike but change fluids and spark plugs?
15w50 mobil 1 5qt container for less than $30($24.95 at Wal-Mart)
High Zinc content and you are only using it for storage.
I won't tell.
I change oil every 2,500-3,000 miles and use a full synthetic 20w50 JASO MA2 in my Thunderstroke.My 1st 2014 had 95,000 when I traded it in and she is still running the streets with over 110,000.
Up to you though.Just answering your question.
Regards,TK

·
Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
350 Posts
I always say almost the same about hand washing your bike too. It’s a chance for a once over as you move around each part of the bike.
I tour and always wipe the bike down on arrival.Once I found a bird stuck between the brake lever and the crash bar.Another time years ago I rode from Phoenix to Laughlin River Run and while wiping the my 2011 HD SE110 Ultra I spun the front axel nut off.Yeah,a guy that rebuilt the forks and changed the fluid at the shop did not tignten the axel bolt.
Washing the bike allows you to put your hands and eyes on the bike.
Kinda like seeing a beautiful woman.You really don't get the full expierence till you put your habds on her up close and personal,:love:

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster
223 Posts
I had a 40HP (or was it 36?) 1957 VW with no oil filter. I remember JC Whitney had a "toilet papar" filter kit that would use a roll of toilet paper as the filter. I think it was an adapter you added to the oil pump cover.
I used to have a 75 Super Beetle. They still didn't have an oil filter by then either. They did have a wire strainer that would keep the really huge chunks from getting sucked into the intake tube.

·
Registered
2017 Chieftain Limited, 2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse
385 Posts
I had a 40HP (or was it 36?) 1957 VW with no oil filter. I remember JC Whitney had a "toilet papar" filter kit that would use a roll of toilet paper as the filter. I think it was an adapter you added to the oil pump cover.
My ‘65 Mustang had one of those toilet paper filters in addition to the one attached to the engine block.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I used to take insurance off each winter, but then I realized its more of a pain than not. Besides, there are usually at least a couple of days throughout the winter that I can take it out for a spin. So I keep the insurance on year-round, change oil in the fall to avoid sludge buildup, and ride it a couple of times during the winter to keep me and my puppy happy.

BTW: my BearTrap magnetic oil filter jacket is due tomorrow... can't wait to see how it fits.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
add to this list: check fork seals.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just start it up once a month for a few minutes and you will be fine.
This is the absolutely worst you can do to any engine! That’s when you get the most condensation and since the motor doesn’t get hot enough, it won’t evaporate. DON’T DO THAT AT ALL! NEVER EVER!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts