Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are other threads on this but most seem old enough that my post may not get noticed.
2017 Scout 60
39,000 miles
9 month old Duracell AGM

The bike is garaged and I keep it on a Battery Tender (brand) whenever it is not being ridden.
After riding Saturday I forgot to put it on the Tender. Fast forward to Sunday AM. Starter chugs a couple of times and the will only chug one each time I hit the starter button. I put it on the Tender, took a while to show full charge.
Bike cranks no problem.
Multimeter shows 12.5+, drops to 8-9 when cranking the starter. Goes up to mid 13+ when reving so I think the stator is OK. Ride all day, stop and start several times no problem.

I leave it off the Tender Sunday night and Monday AM no start - one chug each button push. I pull the battery and run it over to AutoZone and it tests at 82% charge and they say it's good. The battery is under replacement warranty by BatteriesPlus, but that is 25 miles away and I assume if they get the same test results they won't do anything anyway.

So, I'm going to let the bike sit without using the Tender for a couple of days and see what I get with the multimeter.

I'm pretty unknowledgeable about electricity but it sounds like when fully charged the battery will push the starter enough, at least right now. I've included a 5 second a video of what it sounds like when cranking. I put it on my youtube channel, I can't seem to upload it otherwise:

·
Rider
2,103 Posts
10.2 volts is about the minimum you want while cranking. It sounds like your battery is on its way out.

·
Premium Member
2020 Chieftain® Dark Horse® Thunder Black Smoke
35 Posts
I would concur. Sounds like the battery is on the way out. I let my bike sit for 11 days (no tender) and it was still above 12v. Fired right up. I’d be heading to battery+ for a replacement.

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10.2 volts is about the minimum you want while cranking. It sounds like your battery is on its way out.
I got impatient and put it back on the Battery Tender, but before I put the Tender on it, the meter showed 12.35 volts
When the tender registered 100% (about 1/2 hour) the bike cranked up normally. While it was running I put the meter on it which showed 14.25 volts. I shut the engine off a couple of times and each crank the meter showed about 10.8. I guess now I should take it off the Tender and do the cold crank reading again tomorrow.

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery is done. Test at parts stores are useless.
While I am inclined to agree, how do I know that Batteries Plus is going to do a more accurate test?

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,199 Posts
Stop testing - just get a new battery! (2017 Scout - Thank the battery gods for 5 good years!)

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stop testing - just get a new battery! (2017 Scout - Thank the battery gods for 5 good years!)
That's just it. This battery is 9 months old and has a 2 year replacement warranty. If...if...their tester shows it's bad. I replaced the 4 year old stock battery as a preventive measure. I don't relish paying for another battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The voltage drop after charging is the key, and I suspect they will deal with it properly, seeing as batteries are their business.
Regardless, it's definitely the problem. I hope they take care of you properly.

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The voltage drop after charging is the key, and I suspect they will deal with it properly, seeing as batteries are their business.
Regardless, it's definitely the problem. I hope they take care of you properly.
I'm satisfied the battery has gone south. Full charge yesterday then off the Tender. This AM the static reading is 12.26 but it drops to slightly more than 8 during crank attempt. Since electricity is a mysterious thing to me (only half kidding), I don't understand how the static voltage is OK and the cranking voltage isn't. But the meter doesn't lie. So it's 25 miles to the sorta big city for replacement.

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout
47 Posts
I'm satisfied the battery has gone south. Full charge yesterday then off the Tender. This AM the static reading is 12.26 but it drops to slightly more than 8 during crank attempt. Since electricity is a mysterious thing to me (only half kidding), I don't understand how the static voltage is OK and the cranking voltage isn't. But the meter doesn't lie. So it's 25 miles to the sorta big city for replacement.
The key is amperage… the AGM batteries will show a good voltage , but will have insufficient amps. I have had several AGM batteries that have done the same thing, they can test it on a load tester and it will fail, as it has no amps. It’s curious, as a conventional lead acid battery has cells that go bad, and your voltage will drop with a bad cell (or two). But, such is not the case with an AGM.
Charlie

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final followup.
Batteries Plus did swap it out after checking mine. They obviously have better testers for AGM than Auto Zone.

The manager was well spoken and seemed to know his stuff. Unfortunately the warranty required that they hold the battery for 24 hours after bringing it to a full charge to see if it would hold a charge. Which is fine with me, except it is a 50 mile round trip for me to them, which I did not want to do twice. I explained that I had done that process 3 times with the same results. He broke company protocol and gave me the new battery. A good manager knows when to bend the corporate rules.
After installing and starting the bike, I checked the voltage while the bike was running and it was right on spec. So bike's electrics are OK.
Temps today were mid 80s vs mid/high 90s the previous 3 days, so I got a nice 1-1/2 hr ride in before dinner. Got my Zen aligned.
Side note, in my discussion with the mgr, we covered lithium batteries. He said he thought they were not a significant value over AGM for street bikes. Not worth the cost difference. CCA overrated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts