Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to tour on my Vintage. I almost have all my wind buffeting issues resolved. Once done I can put down some miles.

I am running the Pinnacle One-up Luggage Rack. Is there a QD Sissy Bar or any sissy bar that can mount while the luggage rack in installed? It would allow me to rest my bag on the luggage rack and tie it down to the bare upright sissy bar (no passenger backrest pad) if such a thing can be done.

This is a factory pic. I have the standard leather bags and Vintage Spools.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey J

I know this is an old thread but it doesn't appear you go any response. Did you work out your issue? I have the exact same issue but I've already purchased the factory sissy bar. My original thought was to dremel off the cross bar on the sissy bar that interferes with the rack. After paying $600 for the sissy bar, though, I haven't been able to bring myself to hack it up.

My next plan was to remove the "plate" portion of the luggage rack and replace it with a fabricated plate that connects with the same screws to the front brackets but slides into the luggage rack tubes on the sissy bar.

A third idea is to remove the rear fender bracket from the luggage rack and fabricate a new one that avoids the cross bar on the sissy bar.

I think I may go with option 2 as it doesn't involve the modification of expensive Indian accessories. I'd love to hear from anyone who has solved this dilemma.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ummm. Ok, I don't know what I saw to make me think it was an old thread but clearly it wasn't the time stamp on the original post.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I seem to remember reading that the factory sissybar would work with the one up rack?
Maybe I was just hoping that it was so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey J

I know this is an old thread but it doesn't appear you go any response. Did you work out your issue? I have the exact same issue but I've already purchased the factory sissy bar. My original thought was to dremel off the cross bar on the sissy bar that interferes with the rack. After paying $600 for the sissy bar, though, I haven't been able to bring myself to hack it up.

My next plan was to remove the "plate" portion of the luggage rack and replace it with a fabricated plate that connects with the same screws to the front brackets but slides into the luggage rack tubes on the sissy bar.

A third idea is to remove the rear fender bracket from the luggage rack and fabricate a new one that avoids the cross bar on the sissy bar.

I think I may go with option 2 as it doesn't involve the modification of expensive Indian accessories. I'd love to hear from anyone who has solved this dilemma.
I still don't know what to do. I would feel better about having a bag back there if I had an upright to lash onto.

Like you, I don't wanna chop up an expensive OEM sissy bar. Looks like this won't mount on a Vintage with OEM Bag Spools in place: (COO:CN/US) CI-3015 Chief Classic Sissybar & Rack

I bet Motherwell could add an upright loop to their luggage rack for a reasonable fee. Probably the best solution (if they'll do it).
Indian

Edited: I am gonna just buy the flat chromed Motherwell and sell off the Pinnacle. I can buy one heck of a nice waterproof bag to ride on the Motherwell for the price of a sissy bar. I'll leave the solo handrail on my saddle and bungee to it in addition to the Motherwell rack.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I still don't know what to do. I would feel better about having a bag back there if I had an upright to lash onto.

Like you, I don't wanna chop up an expensive OEM sissy bar. Looks like this won't mount on a Vintage with OEM Bag Spools in place: (COO:CN/US) CI-3015 Chief Classic Sissybar & Rack

I bet Motherwell could add an upright loop to their luggage rack for a reasonable fee. Probably the best solution (if they'll do it).
Indian

Edited: I am gonna just buy the flat chromed Motherwell and sell off the Pinnacle. I can buy one heck of a nice waterproof bag to ride on the Motherwell for the price of a sissy bar. I'll leave the solo handrail on my saddle and bungee to it in addition to the Motherwell rack.
Can you send me a pic of that. I have the pinnacle rail and rack and would love something sturdier etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts