Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe Indian doesn't offer it on the bikes yet!!! BUT I was able to get XM radio on my new Challenger.
Below are photos of everything I used. :) FM adapter, radio and leads I got off EBay ( $18, $30 and $12). Prices may vary by where you buy the stuff.
I mounted the FM Direct Adapter under the seat in the white plastic area with double sided tape. I tapped into the bikes antenna under the seat where the antena lead splits on the bike (its on the RH side, just follow it from the fender easy to find). I ran the lead that plugs into the XM radio into the RH bag, under the seat and under the lid (lead doesn't get pinched there's enough room when closed). I then used the cigarette lighter adapter for the XM radio plugged into the Right lid and put the magnetic sat antena on the rear fender (also ran it under the edge of the seat and under the lid (doesn't get pinched). Tuned the radio and sat radio to the same FM station and IT WORKS PERFECTALLY!! I keep everything in the R saddlebag.

Using the FM adapter cleans up the transmission of the XM signal (blue tooth will not work FYI)
Also... the antenna adapter ends click in but I wrapped all (4) ends with cloth electrical tape to keep them secure (together) and clean.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

·
Rider
844 Posts
I can't believe Indian doesn't offer it on the bikes yet!!! BUT I was able to get XM radio on my new Challenger.
Below are photos of everything I used. :) FM adapter, radio and leads I got off EBay ( $18, $30 and $12). Prices may vary by where you buy the stuff.
I mounted the FM Direct Adapter under the seat in the white plastic area with double sided tape. I tapped into the bikes antenna under the seat where the antena lead splits on the bike (its on the RH side, just follow it from the fender easy to find). I ran the lead that plugs into the XM radio into the RH bag, under the seat and under the lid (lead doesn't get pinched there's enough room when closed). I then used the cigarette lighter adapter for the XM radio plugged into the Right lid and put the magnetic sat antena on the rear fender (also ran it under the edge of the seat and under the lid (doesn't get pinched). Tuned the radio and sat radio to the same FM station and IT WORKS PERFECTALLY!! I keep everything in the R saddlebag.

Using the FM adapter cleans up the transmission of the XM signal (blue tooth will not work FYI)
Also... the antenna adapter ends click in but I wrapped all (4) ends with cloth electrical tape to keep them secure (together) and clean.
View attachment 637587 View attachment 637588 View attachment 637589
yup, I’ve had the same Sirius Radio set up on 2 Harley’s, a Vic Vision, Road Master and now my Challenger Dark Horse Only addition was the coax adapters under the seat where the mod adapter is. I have to have mine up on the handle bars so I can switch stations on the fly though.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just recently installed sirius xm on my bike too....after the 3rd attempt. My install was about the same as you did. Ordered a motorcycle kit from satellite superstore which included handlebar mount and USB power adapter. Ordered a 4' USB extension and ran into the USB port in right cubby hole, which is switched on with the ignition. Here is the kit and antenna adapter kit to connect to the FM modulator.

I have some RAM mounts to position the unit in a more comfortable place

·
Registered
37 Posts
yup, I’ve had the same Sirius Radio set up on 2 Harley’s, a Vic Vision, Road Master and now my Challenger Dark Horse Only addition was the coax adapters under the seat where the mod adapter is. I have to have mine up on the handle bars so I can switch stations on the fly though.
I had a XM Snap on my cross country. That was awesome, simple and easy to install. $20 on sale at bestbuy. The cable adapter to connect to the aux input on the bike cost more.

·
Rider
844 Posts
I had a XM Snap on my cross country. That was awesome, simple and easy to install. $20 on sale at bestbuy. The cable adapter to connect to the aux input on the bike cost more.
Unfortunately the Indian radio does not have an auxiliary input. Using the FM adapter mentioned above gives almost the same sound quality. You just have to install in-line into the antenna coax. The newer radios have the “European style” coax connections not the banana plugs so you have to use the adapters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stupid question, how does this handle rain? I typically put on Goretex and keep pushing on long trips. do you have to turn off the radio and put it up or ?

·
Rider
844 Posts
Stupid question, how does this handle rain? I typically put on Goretex and keep pushing on long trips. do you have to turn off the radio and put it up or ?
No I have a cover. It’s been wet before though and might shut down, but goes back to work after it drys out

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use plastic zipper bags on the exposed electronics.

·
Rider
844 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a 2018 Goldwing before my Challenger and it has the Sirius radio built into the infotainment system. It was nice having it built in, but using it through my phone is a suitable replacement for it to me.

·
Rider
844 Posts
I had a 2018 Goldwing before my Challenger and it has the Sirius radio built into the infotainment system. It was nice having it built in, but using it through my phone is a suitable replacement for it to me.
I had factory XM on a ‘13 Wing. I also had it in a ‘15 Tacoma, my wife’s car and at the time a car kit in my company pick up. I’m glad I got Sirius-XM through the tough times but they seem to be doing well now so why pay for 4 vehicles lol. Satellite radio aps along with GPS on a phone work just fine. Unfortunately some of the best riding roads out west here cell phone service is spotty or nonexistent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts