Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been pondering upgrading my 60 to the Scout as well as upgrading perhaps to the DH.

I've looked at the specs is the bike appears to be a monster.

I did have one question (at least for now). Is the DH Vintage air cooled, oil cooled or water cooled? Nothing is mentioned on Indian's web site that I saw when looking at the specs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the 111's are air cooled.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yea .... that sort of becomes a problem. I live in downtown DC and both the City and the surrounding area are normally choked with traffic most days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea .... that sort of becomes a problem. I live in downtown DC and both the City and the surrounding area are normally choked with traffic most days.
I live in Texas and heat has never been an issue. These motors were built for it. It naturally runs hot but I've never had any issues. Just keep your oil changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Texas and heat has never been an issue. These motors were built for it. It naturally runs hot but I've never had any issues. Just keep your oil changed.

I actually priced it out with an oil cooler. Do you think that that would help in 90 temps in stop and go traffic?

·
Registered
2020 Chief Dark Horse
44 Posts
In 2019 they started to include rear-cylinder deactivation to help with the heat. I have a 2020 Chief (now called Vintage) Darkhorse and I never had any real complaints about engine heat but admittedly haven't spent that much time in dead stop traffic. There are a couple things you can do such as remove the cat or go with a different exhaust system. You could also talk to the guys at Fuel Moto and see if their tunes would help.

As it happens, a buddy of mine has a 2022 Chief Darkhorse Bobber and I've ridden it for about 100 miles. It's a blast to ride by the way, I posted a review earlier this spring if you want to learn more. I wouldn't say the engine heat on the new Chief is a problem but it is noticeable around the ankles because I think the riding position and narrower tank puts your feet a little closer to the engine compared to the larger bikes that have the bigger tanks and floor boards.

I'm not sure the oil cooler will make that much difference. Air has to be moving through it too for it to be effective.

In the grand scheme of things, if you like everything else about the Chiefs I wouldn't let the heat be the deciding factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts