Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks: I’ve sat on a challenger but could not get a test ride to see how far in front of the bike is the road hidden. I’ve only ridden naked bikes and being 5’7” am wondering am I’m too short to see well on it.

·
Bronze member
1,674 Posts
Going from a non fairing bike to s fairing is dramatic for a shorter rider like me. I get it completely. The fixed fairing Challenger or Roadglide is a step worse as far as visibily of the immediate patch of road. Maybe i shouldnt be looking down. I got the feeling that i was in the back seat when on a Roadglide not being able to touch the radio. This is just my opinion. Fixed fairing and fairings are not for everyone. I am and have been riding StreetGlides and Chieftain and could give up the fairing.

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
Going from a non-fairing bike or a bike with just a windshield (like a Springfield or Road King) is an adjustment that is made quickly. When I went from a Road King to a Street Glide, thought I’d never get accustom to not seeing the road in front of me. Just switched from a Roadmaster to a Challenger and went thru another adjustment period that took less than a day. You’ll see less of what’s immediately in front of you with fixed fairing, regardless of height. I’m 5’9 and feel confident on the Challenger...in reality, you’re looking out, not down anyway.

·
Bronze member
1,674 Posts
Going from a non-fairing bike or a bike with just a windshield (like a Springfield or Road King) is an adjustment that is made quickly. When I went from a Road King to a Street Glide, thought I’d never get accustom to not seeing the road in front of me. Just switched from a Roadmaster to a Challenger and went thru another adjustment period that took less than a day. You’ll see less of what’s immediately in front of you with fixed fairing, regardless of height. I’m 5’9 and feel confident on the Challenger...in reality, you’re looking out, not down anyway.
In your opinion. That's why we all have them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great question!!
I ride a Springfield and Triumph Scrambler and at 5`8" couldn`t face a fixed fairing bike. I know I would probably get used to it but on the test rides that I have taken it wasn`t for me!

·
Founding member
454 Posts
I'm 5'8", and own a Scout, a Vintage, and a Challenger. I don't even notice the road directly in front of me not being visible on the Challenger. I don't look at the road directly in front of me anyway. I look farther down the road when I ride, as we all should.

·
Rider
549 Posts
I'm only 5'8 and can't remember about an adjustment period but I rode windshield and fairings before!. Why could you not get a test ride. I am sure there are many dealers out there who will give you one. No test, no sale, ...period!

·
Registered
274 Posts
There's a bit of a learning curve just because you can't look down and see the front wheel. You get used to it quickly. The fairing on the Chieftain is so close to you it's not bad . I rode a Road Glide and that fairing seemed like it was a million miles out in front of me, didn't like it. I'm 5'7" for reference.

·
Bronze member
1,674 Posts
There's a bit of a learning curve just because you can't look down and see the front wheel. You get used to it quickly. The fairing on the Chieftain is so close to you it's not bad . I rode a Road Glide and that fairing seemed like it was a million miles out in front of me, didn't like it. I'm 5'7" for reference.
Yes, totally agree. I felt like i was in the back seat of the car on a Road Glide.

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
consider buy a pair of engineer boots with 2" soles ….

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m 5’7” and have no problem with the fairing on my Chieftain. Haven’t ridden a Challenger or Road Glide, but I would
Think it’s just an adjustment to perspective and if you actually want to learn to adjust.

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
sorry, I forgot to add insoles to the artificial height.

·
Rider
1,210 Posts
consider buy a pair of engineer boots with 2" soles ….
See, I was gonna say, get an old phone book. We used them, when I was kid, as booster seats when you outgrew the high chair . . . . .

BD

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
its all relative theory, think outside the technical box .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m 5’8 no problem with the Challenger, nor with the Chieftain (test rode), nor with the Steet Glide and Road Glide but I’m looking further down the road and not just in front of the bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks: I’ve sat on a challenger but could not get a test ride to see how far in front of the bike is the road hidden. I’ve only ridden naked bikes and being 5’7” am wondering am I’m too short to see well on it.
I'm 5'8" and recently test ride a Challenger. For me it wasn't about the fairing/visibility. It can down to feeling confident and comfortable on the bike. I ride a Triumph and the pegs are below me. I felt that I had to almost be outstretched to change gears and also for braking on the bigger bike. I will test ride the Chieftain and Dark Horse and see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have had the bike since the middle of June. Vision is fine. It is a VERY nice bike, loving it.

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
get a pair of engineer boots 2" soles

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm 5'7 and I don't have an issue, but then again, I look down the road, not near my tire. First fixed fairing bike I've owned in a long time and it was more of getting used to the fairing not moving when I turned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts