Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the sidestand is out the Challenger is too vertical !!!!
When parked on slightly off level ground the bike fell over with a wind gust.
Broke the brake lever, damaged the mirror, side of faring, and saddlebag hinge.
On my Road Kings the bikes seemed to tilt more when parked.
BEWARE WHEN PARKING ON OFF LEVEL GROUND
I will study sidestand and see if we can make it tilt a bit more

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a trip now

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ohh, you’re the guy who stopped at the Walmart for the grill and propane! Glad your trip wasn’t interrupted. Safe travels

·
Rider
944 Posts
My Huyabusa did the same thing years ago and I took it off, heated it with a torch and put a little more bend in it. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's something I noticed as soon as I got mine. My driveway is old asphalt with depressions in it. There's been a couple of times where it was damn near vertical when I set it down on the stand and it started to tip over right after I got off. Luckily both times I was able to catch it. It's something I keep in mind whenever I'm parking it and have reoriented the bike to make sure it has enough lean to not tip over.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
My Huyabusa did the same thing years ago and I took it off, heated it with a torch and put a little more bend in it. Worked like a charm.
Be careful when heating up the steel and bending it, thanks to watching "Forged in Fire" all the time, the steel can lose it's temper and could crack and break much easier than normal. You might want to take it to a local steel forger or knife maker to get it back up to normal temper. Just a thought.

·
Rider
944 Posts
If you heat it, to allow it to bend, and then let it to cool naturally , you are okay. If you heat it and quench it afterward it can become brittle. A knife is more sensitive due to it's slender dimensions and the fact you want it to hold an edge.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
If you heat it, to allow it to bend, and then let it to cool naturally , you are okay. If you heat it and quench it afterward it can become brittle. A knife is more sensitive due to it's slender dimensions and the fact you want it to hold an edge.
Sometimes people get a little impatient and want it to cool quickly, in order to get the job over, and dip or spray it down with water, thus ruining a perfectly good part, or worse yet having the part fail due to impatience, and costing extra money for broken mirrors, levers, scratched paint, etc. Heed @sandspur_ suggestion! Don't get in a hurry!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts