Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatever you want to call it...
Chief, Vintage, Chieftain, Roadmaster owners take a look at yours!
Below are pics of @Vryder's kickstand. He and I were going to put the extender on before his road trip.
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Holy smokes... It's a good thing that you caught that. Looks like he was about to have a very bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
This problem was found some time ago on a couple of bikes. The dealers were notified to check and replace, when they were in for service.

This could have been a bad day if it wasn't found.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Damn.......You just sent me to the garage to take a look! All is well.

·
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found the second broken sidestand in less than a week. This one on one of our IMRG members Vintage that I am babysitting.
image.jpg

image.jpg

You folks better go look at your sidestands...

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Looks like Indian wasn't working too hard to identify the problem on the showroom floor nor offer an appropriate fix. I wonder if that part was redesigned?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I went out and checked mine and I'm good.
I was pretty sure mine would be ok because I don't use it much.
Hello BidDaddy, scary isn't it ? I'm interested to learn from you on how come you don't use often the side stand ?

When I was planning to buy a Road King (seems ages now though only less than a couple of mths ago), I was thinking of adding the Harley central stand accessory to lighten the side weight on the left rear shockabsorber and for cleaning purpose (for a use in the garage but also in the street) :

upload_2015-10-9_14-30-26.png

Then a RK biker advised me to buy instead something cheaper and better (if for use only in a garage) such as :

·
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello BidDaddy, scary isn't it ? I'm interested to learn from you on how come you don't use often the side stand ?

When I was planning to buy a Road King (seems ages now though only less than a couple of mths ago), I was thinking of adding the Harley central stand accessory to lighten the side weight on the left rear shockabsorber and for cleaning purpose (for a use in the garage but also in the street) :

View attachment 23081

Then a RK biker advised me to buy instead something cheaper and better (if for use only in a garage) such as :

I always use my Wheeldock at home. maybe that's why my sidestand hsn't broken yet, but two friends with fewer miles have broken ones.
image.jpg

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

View attachment 23081

Well the only time I use my side stand is while I'm on pause.
Sort of a joke because I ride daily. My kickstand is in the up position just about as much as it is propping up the bike at rest.
Like I said, sort of a joke.

I really wish there was a product like you have listed. It would be very useful.

I also like the wheel chock that Dan has.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The sidestand on my 14 chieftain broke, when I went to the dealership they said I was the third one. At the IMRG there was another. This is funny as the service guy told me one broke before they even sold it. I looked at a 16 last night and it looks like the redesigned it, hope I get the redesigned one.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Had my side stand changed twist under warranty.Was told the material was to soft ,will see if the new one stands up any better.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be having mine looked at. I'd hate to get home on vacation to find my bike on its side.

·
Registered
244 Posts
image.jpg
Brand new classic ridden twice, less than 300 miles on it.
I've always had it it the Wheel Dock and probably used the kickstand 5 times.

·
Registered
796 Posts
View attachment 24205 Brand new classic ridden twice, less than 300 miles on it.
I've always had it it the Wheel Dock and probably used the kickstand 5 times.
Get it in to the dealer as I was told they have an up grade for the kick stand. It has become a habit now to check my side stand a couple times a week. These side stand actually kick forward past 90 degrees like a Harley , I believe this could be part of the problem as there will be stress when you drop the bike over on the stand every time.Were a Harley stand kicks out 90 degrees and locks into a slot as you lean the bike over. I think Harley has a better design for a kick stand as they have used this for almost 70 yrs and problems.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts