Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,755 Posts
I'm still pondering sidecar or trike conversion. I've yet to find a solid reason for one over the other. Seems personal preference is all I can see. I'm not sure I could judge the extra room needed for sidecar rolling down the road. Trike at least it's equal on each side. But I like the idea of going on 2 wheels if I wanted too. Major decisions are getting very close though.

Reactions: sidecarsam

·
Silver member
3,376 Posts
I've yet to find a solid reason for one over the other.
Besides your stated reason of potential to go on two wheels, side cars win because they are cooler. In my opinion. Certainly an Indian, with its classic heritage, fits more with a side car than a triked version. Plus if it matters, on a side car rig you can fit a kid or two as well as a pillion passenger. (Or heavens forbid, a damn dog.)

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse & all around great guy!
338 Posts
Love it! How much does something like that run, if you don't mind me asking?
All of their pricing info is on their site, but to save you the trouble... my DMC Tomahawk SE was $12.5K. That included DMC attaching the sidecar to the bike (which was purchased from the Indian shop in Auburn, WA) and shipping the completed rig to me in ND.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still pondering sidecar or trike conversion. I've yet to find a solid reason for one over the other. Seems personal preference is all I can see. I'm not sure I could judge the extra room needed for sidecar rolling down the road. Trike at least it's equal on each side. But I like the idea of going on 2 wheels if I wanted too. Major decisions are getting very close though.
Sidecars have WAY more plusses. Being "equal on each side" is Not a positive. Trikes have 3 tracks - try avoiding stuff in the road. Sidecars only have 2 tracks - like a car. If you want to go over a list of pros and cons, I'm game. If you have questions, I'm happy to answer or help in any way I can. :)

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Besides your stated reason of potential to go on two wheels, side cars win because they are cooler. In my opinion. Certainly an Indian, with its classic heritage, fits more with a side car than a triked version. Plus if it matters, on a side car rig you can fit a kid or two as well as a pillion passenger. (Or heavens forbid, a damn dog.)
Exactly! Sidecars have more room for passengers and luggage. And, as you say, they are inherently Cooler. :)

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All of their pricing info is on their site, but to save you the trouble... my DMC Tomahawk SE was $12.5K. That included DMC attaching the sidecar to the bike (which was purchased from the Indian shop in Auburn, WA) and shipping the completed rig to me in ND.

Nice - you must have gotten every upgrade possible. :)

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse & all around great guy!
338 Posts
Nice - you must have gotten every upgrade possible. :)
I think the only options I skipped were the new triple trees (completely okay with passing up on that one), tinted windscreen (ditto), and the Indian floorboard used as a step (sorta wish I had gotten that one). But, yeah, I figured go big or go home. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the only options I skipped were the new triple trees (completely okay with passing up on that one), tinted windscreen (ditto), and the Indian floorboard used as a step (sorta wish I had gotten that one). But, yeah, I figured go big or go home. LOL

I did the same with my Hannigan. Also didn't go with changed triple trees nor the steer-easy. I'll be putting as many miles on without the hack as with it. Wife loves it.

1 - 20 of 361 Posts