Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Like Motorcycles with sidecars or not

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this beauty this past Sunday over close to Peoria, Ill. I have to make a new Lexan window, have it painted to match my 2016 Green and Cream Vintage, and of course buy the expensive mounts to mount it to the bike. But right now I'm happy as a pig in sh*t, because once it's done I can take the wife and the dogs on trips with me.
00W0W_1x7rBsRmcQS_300x300.jpg

It's a Watsonian Palma, was told it's from the 50's or 60's.
Next year I would like to see about putting a front fender off an Indian on it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It's hard on handlebars, brakes, etc.....pulls to the right taking off, and pushes left stopping due to the added weight.......talk to mplate on other forums...he bought a 2000 chief with sidecar and detailed his riding in an online blog of sorts.......if I can find the link I'll post it...it's a great story, and he's a great guy.

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped off the body at the paint shop this morning. Needs a little prep work to the bottom (no skid plate) and they said they would take the waves out of the sides. Two tone color scheme like the bike, should be ready in a couple of weeks.
Contacted and ordered the Indian frame mounts through DMC, expensive but looks like they do damn fine work. That should be ready in a couple of weeks.
Having the bearings and shock replaced at the locale NAPA down the street.
New tire is on order, should be here in a week or so.
I've taken out all the upholstery ( floor carpet, inside side panels and seats). I'll start on that hopefully tomorrow.
Need to find someone to cut and shape a new front windshield out of Lexan.
Hopefully have it on the road the last week of July.

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what my lovely bride's rig will look like after we're done. We would have gotten the Watsonian today but it was sent to Newark and someone else's was sent to LAX. View attachment 47045
Nice. Hopefully you have better luck finding parts when the time comes.
The mono shock absorber is being a real bit*h to find. Even NAPA is having problems finding it. Told them just mack sure the length, stroke and connections for bolts are the same, don't care who the manufacture is.

Reactions: Americal23

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's hard on handlebars, brakes, etc.....pulls to the right taking off, and pushes left stopping due to the added weight.......talk to mplate on other forums...he bought a 2000 chief with sidecar and detailed his riding in an online blog of sorts.......if I can find the link I'll post it...it's a great story, and he's a great guy.
Sorry, but "It's" dosn't cut it. One has to be specific on the make and model of the sidecar, and more importantly the sidecar's intended fit, and design-to-tight integration for a given bike - as these elements vary as much as all of the motorcycles on the market. I have a DMC Tomahawk SE fitted to my vintage, and although I expected some additional break wear, and some loss of gas mileage and acceleration, the effect was surprisingly minimal, and the other issues mentioned are non-existent, including a lack of common head shake, thus even eliminating the need for a front wheel stabilizer. The sidecar, frame and mounts were built specifically for the Polaris Indian Chiefs. Hope to post a picture soon.

Will's sidecar benefits equally because of DMCs tight integration with Indian Chiefs.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I had been piloting a sidecar rig for the last couple of years and enjoyed it a lot. I just sold it yesterday. Going back to two wheels.

If/when i get to the point that I can't hold up a bike on my own, I will without hesitation go back to a hack as opposed to a trike. They are different, fun, and great for doing around town errands as you can really put a lot of shit in a sidecar. My dog loved riding in it.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dropped off the body at the paint shop this morning. Needs a little prep work to the bottom (no skid plate) and they said they would take the waves out of the sides. Two tone color scheme like the bike, should be ready in a couple of weeks.
Contacted and ordered the Indian frame mounts through DMC, expensive but looks like they do damn fine work. That should be ready in a couple of weeks.
I've taken out all the upholstery ( floor carpet, inside side panels and seats). I'll start on that hopefully tomorrow.
Will - you are correct on DMCs work - great integration is what makes any sidecar a joy to ride, and DMC has got this down for the Indians. I would post a picture of my Tomahawk SE (willow green), but my phone creates images that are more than the 4MB upload limit. Have fun!

·
Registered
802 Posts
My mom has inner ear problems... Can not balance on two wheels so we got her a little sidecar rig to play with... The pictures are me teaching mom to drive a motorcycle, The motorcycle is an old Hondamatic (two speed no clutch) with side car. Wish I had a pictures of the first and second time she flipped the sidecar in the air... Now that was priceless 20131005_102105.jpg 20131005_102122.jpg 20131005_124755.jpg

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn Gina, you're brave. First time mom drives/operates a sidecar rig and your ass is in the seat:eek:. Impressive. Me, I know how my mom drives, she's on her own:confused:!!

Reactions: 2506

·
Registered
712 Posts
Nice. Hopefully you have better luck finding parts when the time comes.
The mono shock absorber is being a real bit*h to find. Even NAPA is having problems finding it. Told them just mack sure the length, stroke and connections for bolts are the same, don't care who the manufacture is.
There's a pretty active sidecar club out here and even though he has passed away Doug Bingham's influence over sidecaring is still pretty strong in LA. I'm hoping that getting the shipping problems figured out is going to be at worst of it.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Check with Custom Motorcycle Windscreens – Gustafsson Plastics they may have what you need..... They had a replacement windscreen for my Vetter Terraplane there and Vetter made less than 1000 of those!

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've got a Watsonian waiting to clear customs right now, it's going on the better half's Bonneville.
Who did you order it through? Maybe they can help me find a shock absorber.
Emailed Watsonian over in England Sunday night and haven't heard a thing from them. I would love to know the age of this thing and maybe a service manual if they still manufacture.

·
Registered
802 Posts
@Will I could not let her do it on her own, As it was kind of my idea that got her there. Now as far as brave, I think is not brave but more stupidity and kind of an oh shit moment. I was thinking if she wrecked or got into trouble it would be my butt in trouble and my baby sister would have NEVER let me forget it. Also as mom is the only person I have ever known that has gotten a ticket for going to slow, I was there to grab the throttle and keep her from getting another one. And she still yells at me every time I do it. (and I do it every time I make her ride me to the store) I am kind of evil that way...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Who did you order it through? Maybe they can help me find a shock absorber.
Emailed Watsonian over in England Sunday night and haven't heard a thing from them. I would love to know the age of this thing and maybe a service manual if they still manufacture.
We went through Watsonian USA, they've been very responsive and helpful so far. I think they're in Florida.
Watsonian Squire Sidecars USA

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I picked up the wheel hub assembly today, I f'n love NAPA. They did everything including changing out the hub bolt and nuts. They saved one bearing because it was over $200 by itself. They said she was fine, but changed out the other three. They even found a shock, again $300, I told them I'd just clean up the old one, they'ed already cleaned it up for me and tested it out.
The car itself is in the paint booth should be ready to bring home middle of next week.
Also found all new decals for it.
Had a new tire mounted, will change everything underneth next year to something far easier to get. The tire, bearing, shock are all special order, one week delivery. Well, that needs to be changed.
Still having bit of aproblem with finding someone that can cut and shape Lexan for a new window.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is so cool can not wait to see when you are done.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts