Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver member
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have all see the threads. My cover flew off in the wind. Will Indian replace it? Etc.

This is a common issue and sometimes user error and sometimes old grommets. I can attest to all these things.
So here is the deal bsed on 3.5 years of owning my Indian.

One, I lost a right side cover two years ago. It pulled the grommet completely out. Indian replaced it.

My left side cover grommet has never been replaced. However, last night I washed the bike and noticed there no "thud" when I replaced it. After inspection, I did notice it was both the grommets in the vertical position that seemed were not right and showing signs of wear. And both grommets are the ones our legs are closest to. So I believe the weight of our legs on the side covers may be a contributing factor.

Anyway, for the third time, I replaced my right side grommet cover and the vertical left side grommet for the first time. Here is a snap of the right side grommet. Sorry, I took three pics, but they were blurry. But if you blow up the shot of the right side you can clearly see the vertical wear on the grommet which would loosen the cover...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
For just about a little over a dollar it’s an easy and necessary fix. Did mine at the two year mark

·
Registered
131 Posts
So we have all see the threads. My cover flew off in the wind. Will Indian replace it? Etc.

This is a common issue and sometimes user error and sometimes old grommets. I can attest to all these things.
So here is the deal bsed on 3.5 years of owning my Indian.

One, I lost a right side cover two years ago. It pulled the grommet completely out. Indian replaced it.

My left side cover grommet has never been replaced. However, last night I washed the bike and noticed there no "thud" when I replaced it. After inspection, I did notice it was both the grommets in the vertical position that seemed were not right and showing signs of wear. And both grommets are the ones our legs are closest to. So I believe the weight of our legs on the side covers may be a contributing factor.

Anyway, for the third time, I replaced my right side grommet cover and the vertical left side grommet for the first time. Here is a snap of the right side grommet. Sorry, I took three pics, but they were blurry. But if you blow up the shot of the right side you can clearly see the vertical wear on the grommet which would loosen the cover...

View attachment 601504
Any idea of the grommets part #? I noticed I have one that is torn on my 17 Chieftain and needs replaced. Would like to do it my self. Checked cheap cycle parts but cant find just the grommets. I know the dealer can get them, but they always try to sell me a new bike when I walk in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Read down this thread, parts numbers are listed. I just ordered a bunch last Week.

·
Bronze member
1,889 Posts
I have lost my left side cover 3 times. One time was due to a rushed install and I was able to find the cover just a bit beat up, but I am out many hundreds of $$$. That one I retrieved was only at about 40mph, the 2 others were at 85+mph in VERY windy and gusty conditions, indicating enuff air pressure gettin into the space behind the engine and "blowing" the side covers off.

I should know better to recognize a problem and a design flaw as I have been werkin on skoot professionally for 44 years this month! But I eventually did late last year after losing the second cover. This time I took a good close look
at the pin design and recognized a big difference as compared to the pins found on the Jap skoots I have been werkin on all my life.

In a nutshell I found the "pull off" effort needed to remove an Indian side cover was NOT ALOT as compared to jap skoot, making the possibility of blowing off the covers more likely. My primitive drawing shows that the larger retaining section of the pins are only HALF of the pin"s circumference as compared to a jap pin. NOT GOOD! So I took my small files and removed material from underneath the pin as shown in the diagram all around that section of the pin. The pulloff effort is almost doubled now.

WAAAAY back in the 70's when we would pull the airboxes off the 4cyl Kawis there was too many side covers getting blown off, till we figgered how to pin the covers on...FIXED IT!

RACNRAY
Text Font Handwriting Number

Reactions: USMCE8

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,070 Posts
I've had a couple of friends lose side covers. Another fix is to install a crotch cooler, it stops any wind from getting to the side cover in the front and also holds the cover on tightly.

Reactions: USMCE8 and RACNRAY
1 - 6 of 6 Posts