Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted an ez Steer kit to a Vintage with s/car? Or a steer rite kit. I love my outfit but at speed the steering is heavy so guys I am looking for the way to go.Never mind the washing, the side car is a custom made 1& a half.
20200808_124841.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
never seen an attachment to the front wheel before no wonder it is hard to turn ?

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
Has anyone fitted an ez Steer kit to a Vintage with s/car? Or a steer rite kit. I love my outfit but at speed the steering is heavy so guys I am looking for the way to go.Never mind the washing, the side car is a custom made 1& a half.
Not too much sidecar activity here but If nothing else from the forum bud , suggest contact Hannigan Sidecar factory (ive a heavy heritage model built by them but declined triple tree option, i like the shoulder work out, and shh i add a little more air pressure to the tires ) in Murray. Kentucky, they have a triple tree kit(not sure which maker ) . Am sure the technicians will help you, I called in there on return leg for a tonneau cover couple popper fixes(they did free) on way back from Trans USA /Canada ride, Amazing private Hannigan museum too, some wonderful racing circuit artefacts the owners were deeply involved with . They are out in the boonies GPS advised but a nice ride near lake resorts. have fun and best wishes. Hank

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
did you ask in the sidecar section?... most guys with knowledge of hacks are able to answer in there..

·
Registered
929 Posts
I kinda want a sidecar. It would have to come off pretty easily, though. I also considered getting a ural, but those jokers are like 20k.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The best set up for steering and handling on a large sidecar, is to swap out the front end for a set of leading link forks and fit squarer tyres. See the front end in the pic below; this was a British built "Gemini" double adult side car that I ran a few years back.
03AD059D-BA0B-4BA0-8D9E-3FF99E22DAEA.jpg

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
I have mounted and run sidecars on a variety of machines over the years. I'm currently runnung a Ural sidecar mounted on a Moto Guzzi Jackal 1100. On a solid-mount sidecar rig (lean-in/lean-out can't be adjusted on the fly) you usually adjust the lean-out of the motorcycle from the sidecar so that the outfit will track straight on a level road at the cruising speed you normally run. The amount of toe-in set for the sidecar wheel also affects handling. I've had the Ural on a couple of V92C Victorys as well as the Moto Guzzi. I have always been able to adjust the sidecar alignment so that it handled acceptably with the stock front-end/triple tree set-up. It may take some experimentation and readjustment to get right. Change one thing at a time and test to see what effect it had. A steering damper can help calm the head-shake sidecar outfits sometimes experience at low speed. I have a buddy who built a sidecar with a 3-point mounting system; 2 lower mounts and a single upper with a powered turn-buckle so he could vary lean-out/lean-in on the fly to adjust for pulling due to road-crown or side-winds.
--- Randall

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments guys At almost 80 yrs old I want ease of riding so have gone with ez Steer I will let you know how it goes when I get it fitted, it is coming from the States hopefully not too long in the post.
See Ya from down under.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts