Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from a short 50 mile ride this afternoon and was wiping down the bike when I noticed an oil drip on garage floor. There is a vent or possibly a drain line on the left side and just forward of my Vintage’s rear wheel that the oil came from. Where does that line come from? It was getting close to dinner and I didn’t have time to trace it out. Can anyone tell me what the line is for and more importantly is oil dripping from it a concern?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. That is odd as it was not gas on the floor. Definitely oil or something with consistency of oil and it came from that vent line. A preservative in the line? It’s a new bike.

It’s going to the dealer tomorrow for a freedom performance header and Rinehart slip-on install. I’ll mention it to them and have them check it.

·
Founding member / silver
5,066 Posts
The only vent lines there are from the fuel tank Item 12/13

VintageTank.jpg

The crankcase breather vents into the air cleaner item 21

VintageIntake.jpg

Oil can be very difficult to trace quickly and can show up far from where it's leaking. Try to follow it back. You may have to clean everything and go for a few shorter rides to figure it out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil may have just collected on and ran down exterior of line. I will point out to the wrench at dealership tomorrow. I’ll also keep an eye on it for sure. Has thicker consistency and is yellowish in color. I did smell it and couldn’t smell anything. It was just one drop, maybe two at most on floor. Nothing more after having wiped it up.

ETA: note to self. I need to check my jack in the morning for leaks too. I did have the bike up on my jack to turn it around.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The oil may have just collected on and ran down exterior of line. I will point out to the wrench at dealership tomorrow. I’ll also keep an eye on it for sure. Has thicker consistency and is yellowish in color. I did smell it and couldn’t smell anything. It was just one drop, maybe two at most on floor. Nothing more after having wiped it up.

ETA: note to self. I need to check my jack in the morning for leaks too. I did have the bike up on my jack to turn it around.
Its Jack oil

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,957 Posts
Check the left side front case where the stator wire goes through. They are known to leak and run under the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts