Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today, that my spotlights don't turn off when the high beam is turned on. 2015 Indian Chief. I always thought this was a requirement and my friends Harley does turn the spotlights off when the high beam comes on. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think that they stay on because they are wired to a separate switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Several states have light laws that say high beams are not allowed when driving in fog, heavy rain, snow, sleet, or dust. I think most manufactures usually build vehicles to be legal in these states with such laws. Your dealer may have flashed the ECU to allow the high beams and fogs to be active at the same time if this is not a law for your state. I had my dealer do this for my old HDs. Even my old RK had a switch, but would turn off the aux lights when the high beam was enabled.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well for one thing, the lights aren’t actually called fog lights by Indian, just auxiliary driving lights. Not sure bout every state but I know for a few that in legal terms fog lights often have to be mounted less than 30in from the ground, the side lights are our bikes are higher than that so they would be classed as auxiliary lighting. And auxiliary driving lights are to supplement high beams as well as low beams. Also, and I may be wrong here, but far as I know there’s no actual requirement that fog lights turn off with high beams, just done to encourage people to not use high beams in fog since the light scatters and makes it worse for everybody.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And just from personal perspective, I prefer them staying on with high beams. Gives much better coverage for night driving, even on high beam the headlight doesn’t cover the sides so well(as any single headlight won’t). I actually just leave mine on all the time, saves from trying to get to the switch button when I need them.

·
Administrator
15,430 Posts
Some guys like leaving em on all the time for visibility. Me, not so much. My LED’s are fine for daylight (in terms of being seen) and at night I leave all the lights on for long stretches of interstate or for fog/ rain only. Otherwise I’m just pissing off other motorists (particularly if I’m right behind guys in traffic). “Li” — common courtesy.

Individual preference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cookie, actually it is a law that fog lights have to turn off when high beams are on. At least here in PA it is. Car will fail inspection if it operates any other way. Like I said, my friends newer Street Glide has a seperate switch for the spot lights, as does my Indian. His still turns off when high beams come on, mine does not. If you all recall, I rebuilt this Indian, which was totalled, and on Friday, took it for it's enhanced inspection so that I can get a title for the bike and get it on the road. The inspector noticed that the spot lights did not turn off when I turned on my high beams and said that is illegal. I tried to argue with him, but he was having none of it. I know fog lights have to turn off, but these are not fog lights, so I don't know if the law still applies to them or not. Luckily he told me to fix that, and passed my bike anyway. But, there is no way I can figure out how to fix it, and if Indian designed it that way, I am not going to fix it.

Rob

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cookie, actually it is a law that fog lights have to turn off when high beams are on. At least here in PA it is. Car will fail inspection if it operates any other way.
Fair enough, we don’t have inspections here and the only state laws for my state that mention fog lights simply say they have to be less than 30in from the ground. Obviously I’m not familiar with all 50 states laws, but for lighting I’m fairly familiar with my own state and a couple neighboring ones(started modding lights on my cars in high school so tried to keep up with the lighting laws to stay legal). I’ve never seen an actual law stating that fogs and highs can’t be used together but always good to learn something new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts