Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a 3 day trip this April, to Arkansas/Missouri. I have time to add locks to my RM Classic leather bags and trunk, should I bother? I do not carry lots of cash or guns or even beer in my bags. Just clothes boots helmet water bottle, seat cushion, ect... I don't even put my helmet inside when I stop for food.
Has anyone had issues with theft from their bags? I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with people around my bike when I have stopped. Mostly wanting to take a picture or ask about the Indian (a lot of interest in the electric windshield, lol).
But on the other hand, I don't want to have to deal with missing stuff because I didn't take basic precautions. What are your experiences?

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
973 Posts
I've ridden with leather bags for over 50 years, all across the country and I've never had a problem.

Reactions: A-58

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ridden all over since 1993 some bike locked others did not mostly camp tents do not lock I have not had any problems but have witnessed some nasty people do rotten things you will more than likely be fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm with 2Cool, never had locking bags in 40+ yrs until my Chieftain, hell, I don't even lock them 90% of the time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As a daily commuter I carry my laptop and some other computer gear everyday. It's peace of mind to be able to lock it while going in to the store etc. I have been blessed in 15+ years of riding to never have had anyone mess with my bike.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
If I had time to install locks, I’d do so. When I had leather non-locking bags, I never had an incident, but the past doesn’t predict the future.

·
Rider
1,311 Posts
I've never had a problem with the leather bags on my Road Star over many 10s of thousands of miles and several years. But, if it gives you a little piece of mind, then I would say, do it.

BD

·
Registered
321 Posts
No locks on my bags. I don't carry anything that can't be stolen. If it's that important (cash or guns) I'll keep it in my jacket pocket and on my person. At night I usually carry everything in the hotel room and leave the saddlebag top flaps un-clipped. I'd rather get rummaged through or have a t-shirt stolen than get my nice bags all cut up by someone determined to get in there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've taken the Vintage cross-country several times and never had a problem. When I stop for the night, I just disconnect the bags and bring them in the room. My windshield is bolted down to deter that theft. I've never been concern local or on the road.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's not so much what is in your bags, but the leather bags themselves fetch big money. I would at least make them non-quick release, or take them into the room while traveling. Times are different now, people will steal anything to sell for their "fix" or whatever. Counter point though, is I guess that's what insurance is for...

·
Rider
360 Posts
Like others on here, I've ridden with unlocked leather bags for 40 years. The "biker reputation" probably deters some chicken shit type thieves (which is most of them). I DO unfasten my bags and take them into the hotel room at night, or the occasional tent.
But that's mostly because I am a peaceful man who doesn't enjoy the "other" side of me that thieves and prick types bring out. I just wanna ride the road and be cool.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
We all know what an ounce of prevention is worth.

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Park your bike in well lit areas at night and cover it and that will eliminate most problems while traveling. If you park where lots of folks are passing your bike (entrance to a convenience store for example) for those gas and pit stops most thieves won't bother. Locks are merely an inconvenience to real thieves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going on a 3 day trip this April, to Arkansas/Missouri. I have time to add locks to my RM Classic leather bags and trunk, should I bother? I do not carry lots of cash or guns or even beer in my bags. Just clothes boots helmet water bottle, seat cushion, ect... I don't even put my helmet inside when I stop for food.
Has anyone had issues with theft from their bags? I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with people around my bike when I have stopped. Mostly wanting to take a picture or ask about the Indian (a lot of interest in the electric windshield, lol).
But on the other hand, I don't want to have to deal with missing stuff because I didn't take basic precautions. What are your experiences?
HI...I rode cross country from NY to California and back last summer. Stayed in campgrounds, some seedy motels, and sometimes on the side of the road. Not a single problem with my leather bags on my Vintage. I had clothing, medicines and tools packed in my bags. I found everyone I encountered honest and decent.

·
Silver member
4,788 Posts
Like most everyone that posted positively about it, I've never had any problems travelling with my Vintage and soft leather bags. On the other hand, I would never leave a nice leather jacket on the seat while I went into a restaurant for a quick bite. No no no.

·
Founding member
2,202 Posts
Locks merely keep honest people honest. A thief will steal regardless if there's a lock or not.
A common quote; however, I think reality is "Locks keep lazy thieves away, but an ambitious thief will get it if they really want it."

I've seen lots of Ring videos that show people at night checking door handles on cars parked outside. If they're locked they move on to the next car, if they're open you read about what was stolen. As for locking bags, it all depends on what you have in them and where you park them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts