Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm looking to pick up a Scout (69) and planned on used.
After looking up the model year differences it leaves me wondering if I should spring for a 2020/21.
I can afford the new bike, but I'm a newer rider and would hate to drop the thing or something stupid.
Also in all my years I've just always bought used and let someone else take the hit.
Being that I'm new, I really don't know if I should spring for the MY changes because I don't know how important they are.
The only thing I know I want for sure is ABS.
I figure the susp can be upgraded for less then the cost difference of a new bike.

The used bike market is looking pretty excellent right now.

What do you say? What MY changes should I not live without?

Indian Scout

2015:
- MSRP starting at $10,999 USD

2016:
- MSRP raised to $11,299 USD

2017:
  • Introduction of new starter model on April 20th (PN: 4017209)
  • Introduction of progressively wound rear shocks (part number pending)
  • Introduction of individual L & R turn signal indicators at gauge
  • Introduction of new front brake (PN: 2206177) and clutch (PN: 2206390) lever assembly
  • Improvements to turn radius (specification/part number pending)
  • Minor changes to exhaust routing and bracket (part number pending)
  • Introduction of lighter clutch springs (PN: 7044758)

2018:
  • MSRP raised to $11,499 USD
  • Introduction of cartridge style front forks (part number pending)
  • Introduction of Pirelli Night Dragon tires
  • Introduction of passenger seat and pegs
  • Introduction of DC battery voltage screen

2019:
  • ABS Standard on all models and colors, excluding Thunder Black. Optional on Thunder Black.
  • USB Charger Port standard on all models and colors
  • Passenger seat & pegs no longer included

2020:
gets upgraded to floating rotors and also gets new calipers and a new master cylinder.

link to original thread showing MY changes

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would look for a used 19 or 20 personally, but you really can’t go wrong with years prior either. I bought a new 2020, and I’ve noticed a few minor change’s not listed, but it would be mostly fine with or without theses changes. If I could do it over again, I would’ve bought a used 18 or 19 and saved a small fortune. Also in my opinion depending how much you weigh suspension stock is more than acceptable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was told that 2019 on up get a better starter and a stronger battery. There are a few new 19’s still available.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,502 Posts
If I were to sell my 2019 ABS Icon outright I'd probably ask ten grand for it. A dealer would ask $11,500 but only give me $8,500 for trade in.

·
Silver member
4,201 Posts
I've been riding for over 50 years and have never bought a new bike, always bought pre-loved. Like the OP says, let someone else take the hit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my 2017 used, it already had all the custom work, intake, exhaust and ecu flash done. I paid 9000ish with 4000 miles. Sure as hell beat $14500 once Uncle Sam gets his cut plus all the extra money for the aftermarket stuff

edit: I learned my lesson when I bought a brand new 2007 zx6r as my first bike and dropped it in two weeks. It hurts to drop your pristine new bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought my 2020 Scout new and don't have any regrets. However, it is hard for me to argue that it was the smart move financially. Especially if you can find one used that already has the accessories you want. That will definitely save you a small fortune with Polaris apparently being so proud of those things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say your financial situation will have more to say than the new/used. If you are paying cash a used one could prove a fruitful venture however if planning to finance you will normally get better rates on a new purchase. With that take in to consideration the insurance aspect especially as a newer rider the a new bike will cost more to insure as well as registration/taxes. For me I went with a new 21 mostly because my wife wanted me to have the warranty so I could focus on my remodel with no excuses :LOL:

Either way you will enjoy the bike

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you are patient-------and that is a big IF----you can save thousands buying used. YOU MAY NOT GET YOUR FIRST CHOICE OF COLOR----but I usually buy my bikes with 300-1500 miles on them for about 60-75% of what the owner paid, plus they pay for the first service.

I wanted a Scout but because of the deal I got a 2020 Bobber with 550 miles on it (6 weeks old) and receipts for first service and thousands in extras (Bars/exhaust/seat/labor) and paid less than MSRP from the dealer before they tack on shipping/DOC/service/tax/tag and all the other rip charges. His $10,999 bike was close to $17,000 by the time he rode it home. Missing out on the first 550 miles means nothing since I put 1200 miles on it in the first month. You may have to travel, but if you have cash in hand, people will listen to you. If you walk into a dealer, you will listen to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2020 Scout new and don't have any regrets. However, it is hard for me to argue that it was the smart move financially. Especially if you can find one used that already has the accessories you want. That will definitely save you a small fortune with Polaris apparently being so proud of those things.
MayI ask what you paid for it otd. I cannot understand why a new 2021 scout 60 is $11600 otd with no abs

·
Silver member
3,653 Posts
You say that you're a new rider. If you haven't already, please sign up for a learner's class. It'll not only contribute greatly to your riding ability and better your experience, but it might also knock a few dollars off your insurance bill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a 2021 Indian Scout about a month ago. Zero regrets. I love the heck outta that bike and have 1000 miles on it already. It is my second bike.

With that said....

I will never buy a new bike again. I knew this when I bought it. This is my one and done new bike. Going forward I will buy used bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my '18 Scout new, But it was late in 2019 and I got a smoking deal. I love my bike. Depending on what exactly you're looking for a used bike could be just fine.
As to being a new rider... the Scout is really easy and a joy to ride. Just give yourself time to get used to it before you really crank open the throttle and let it rip. It'll take off a lot quicker than you'd think:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts