Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I figured I'd reach out to you guys before I let my anxiety get the best of me. My 2019 indian scout seems to be a little leaky in 2 spots and I'm not sure if it's normal or something I should return to the dealer to let them check out. I don't notice any loss of performance in my ride nor have I seen any dripping on the floor. I will post a few pics and hopefully I can get some advise. If anything maby someone can help me understand what I should be looking for and what part of the bike these leaks are occurring on or when they could be coming from. The first is on the bottom rear of the bike, the second if a tiny little one in the front (I think that's either part of the stator or maby part of the cooling system realy not sure). Thank you all in advance! Hopefully I posted this in the right spot. Sorry if my pictures are not the best, I can retake them if nessary.
EDIT: I just cleaned the small spot off and went for a ride. Came back and the spot seems to have reappeared. The color of it looks odd though, almost a greenish color. I added another picture to show you guys what I'm seeing. Thank you for all your reply so far!

·
Bronze member
5,089 Posts
It looks like pic 1 is an oil leak, my guess is that it's the one that Scouts sometimes get from the grommet into the stator area where the wiring exits. I think that one is a full replacement by the dealer as there is a sealing issue that is not easy to repair. There are a few threads, such as Weird oil leak

Pic 2 looks like a coolant leak, perhaps from the pump. It should not be happening and I'd take it to the dealer to get fixed.

There might not be any drips on the floor, but it's better to fix the leaks before they get to drip stage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The first photo is the regulator rectifier mounted underneath the bike near the swingarm pivot point. You need to be aware that the bike has a venting tube that drops down past the battery box to drop excess liquid on the floor. There are two tubes connected underneath the gas tank - if you remove the seat you should see the pipes - they deal with tank pressure and runoff from the filler cap. If you check the recent thread about oil leak from vent you can see pictures of the layout. Just check that the rear leak is oily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like pic 1 is an oil leak, my guess is that it's the one that Scouts sometimes get from the grommet into the stator area where the wiring exits. I think that one is a full replacement by the dealer as there is a sealing issue that is not easy to repair. There are a few threads, such as Weird oil leak

Pic 2 looks like a coolant leak, perhaps from the pump. It should not be happening and I'd take it to the dealer to get fixed.

There might not be any drips on the floor, but it's better to fix the leaks before they get to drip stage.
Thank you for your reply, looks like I'll be giving the dealer a call soon. Do you have any suggestions on how to get a good reading on the coolant bottle. It's quite difficult to see into, even with a bright light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first photo is the regulator rectifier mounted underneath the bike near the swingarm pivot point. You need to be aware that the bike has a venting tube that drops down past the battery box to drop excess liquid on the floor. There are two tubes connected underneath the gas tank - if you remove the seat you should see the pipes - they deal with tank pressure and runoff from the filler cap. If you check the recent thread about oil leak from vent you can see pictures of the layout. Just check that the rear leak is oily.
At work I do park my bike in the sun for a good part of the day, could the heat contribute to any venting?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had the same leak as in pic #2. That's right outside the water pump. Make sure the cover bolts are all tight (one of mine had backed off a bit). I also found that this leak is related to engine RPM (obviously more RPM equals more volume of coolant flowing thru the water pump). If I really wind her up, sometimes I'll see a drop or two of coolant in the same place you're seeing it.

Just to save you the trouble I went through, the bike MUST be level to check the coolant, otherwise you can't see it. Sit the kickstand on a piece of 2x4, illuminate the back side of the tank with a flashlight, and give the handlebars a little wiggle to shake it around. You'll see it easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had the same leak as in pic #2. That's right outside the water pump. Make sure the cover bolts are all tight (one of mine had backed off a bit). I also found that this leak is related to engine RPM (obviously more RPM equals more volume of coolant flowing thru the water pump). If I really wind her up, sometimes I'll see a drop or two of coolant in the same place you're seeing it.

Just to save you the trouble I went through, the bike MUST be level to check the coolant, otherwise you can't see it. Sit the kickstand on a piece of 2x4, illuminate the back side of the tank with a flashlight, and give the handlebars a little wiggle to shake it around. You'll see it easily.
Now that you mention it I was stretching her legs a bit before I noticed this 🤔 thanks for your comment!! Iv never had so much difficulties checking the coolant level on a bike before.😭

·
Registered
292 Posts
Check out where I'm putting my pen-light at the top of the coolant tank. Bike is level with bars straight.
Once you figure it out, it's easy from the second time onward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the picture realy helped me out. My level seems to be a bit below the cold fill line. While riding my temps usually don't exceed 190s F until the fan kicks in. Highest iv seen my temps is 204 F in stand still traffic, normal use they hang around 174 F. I do believe my temps are normal.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep that's my experience. She always sits right at 174 when cruising and never much above 200 at a stop light.

·
Bronze member
1,955 Posts
A year ago I was trying an idea of putting a switched LED behind the coolant bottle.
Never did make it permanent.

The LED was an unused amber color turn signal. I was surprised it lit up the green coolant as a bright orange.

So I had wondered if there might be a particular color that shows the coolant best of all, but since I stopped short of the whole idea I never checked anything else out.
Might be worthwhile to investigate anyhow if you have access to multiple colored LEDs.

Reactions: Frodo and bofa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A year ago I was trying an idea of putting a switched LED behind the coolant bottle.
Never did make it permanent.

The LED was an unused amber color turn signal. I was surprised it lit up the green coolant as a bright orange.

So I had wondered if there might be a particular color that shows the coolant best of all, but since I stopped short of the whole idea I never checked anything else out.
Might be worthwhile to investigate anyhow if you have access to multiple colored LEDs.
Just got an idea for an RGB coolant tank LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts