Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own/ride a 2009 VStar 950. When I retire soon, I want to take long trips around the country on a touring bike. Since I am 6' 4" tall, the stock Gold Wing will not work for me (too cramped). I feel the Roadmaster is the right bike for that role. I am wondering about the short trips though. Most of my current rides are under 30 minutes each way and my 950 is very nimble for that style of riding. How does the Roadmaster do for those short trips with many tight turns, including u-turns? I am wondering if I need to keep my 950 for those trips.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Eh, that's pretty much all I do - my wife has chronic pain issues, so 25-30-sometimes 50 or 60 mile rides are all we can do. But we do those rides every single day when the weather's tolerable.

The Roadmaster will be fine for those rides for you. I work-commute on mine...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Our Roadmaster is Actually more Nimble to get around than the VTX Honda 1300 we traded in. For a Touring bike I am Amazed at the low speed control and turning abilities!! It is the Ultimate All Around Bike!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pull the trunk off and it's even easier to handle. Put the trunk back on when you plan to travel. Only takes a few minutes to take off or put on

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I own a Chieftain...which is basically a stripped down RM (no cheap shots guys...you know it is true) and if you look at my signature box...I have owned more bikes than one man should have ever owned. In answer to your question, you will find the Indian Chieftain RoadMaster handles more like a sportsbike than a big touring bike. I think it is due to the rake being 25° vs 29°. They have a low center of gravity and I can throw it into a better lean than any of my Harleys. I agree with you on the Goldwing. Had a brain fart and owned one for a while. I tell people to avoid them like the plague.

At 6' 4", I am amazed the 950 fits you at all !!!

Go test drive one.... you will see what are saying.

Semper Fi,
Z

Reactions: Poppa P

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own a Chieftain...which is basically a stripped down RM (no cheap shots guys...you know it is true) and if you look at my signature box...I have owned more bikes than one man should have ever owned. In answer to your question, you will find the Indian Chieftain RoadMaster handles more like a sportsbike than a big touring bike. I think it is due to the rake being 25° vs 29°. They have a low center of gravity and I can throw it into a better lean than any of my Harleys. I agree with you on the Goldwing. Had a brain fart and owned one for a while. I tell people to avoid them like the plague.

At 6' 4", I am amazed the 950 fits you at all !!!

Go test drive one.... you will see what are saying.

Semper Fi,
Z
I am afraid to go test ride the Roadmaster. I know when I do I will want to buy one immediately. The wife and I decided no more loans for anything, so I am faced with the unenviable task of saving $27K before I can buy. The sale rep told me the bike leans way more than most are comfortable leaning it. My 950 drags the floorboards long before I am ready to quit leaning the bike

I test road a 2006 Wing earlier this year and was okay with most of the fit. Getting my size 13 under the gear shift with that huge engine in the way was a problem. The seat also pushed me way too far forward. My 950 has awesome geometry and great handling. The one change I need to make is to add a 2 inch riser to bring the handlebars up and closer to me.

The RM sounds perfect. My plan was to keep the 950 and add the RM for long trips. Now it sounds like the RM will eliminate the need for my 950, which I totally love.

BTW, Semper Fi to you. I have two sons in the Marines. Me, I retired from the Navy in 1996.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,070 Posts
Unenviable, but worth it. I have all the money saved up for my scout, as the wife had the same no loan requirement. It's a good feeling to drop all the cash for an awesome machine. Now if I just had the actual bike. At least once you save up for it, you won't have to wait....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am afraid to go test ride the Roadmaster. I know when I do I will want to buy one immediately. The wife and I decided no more loans for anything, so I am faced with the unenviable task of saving $27K before I can buy. The sale rep told me the bike leans way more than most are comfortable leaning it. My 950 drags the floorboards long before I am ready to quit leaning the bike

I test road a 2006 Wing earlier this year and was okay with most of the fit. Getting my size 13 under the gear shift with that huge engine in the way was a problem. The seat also pushed me way too far forward. My 950 has awesome geometry and great handling. The one change I need to make is to add a 2 inch riser to bring the handlebars up and closer to me.

The RM sounds perfect. My plan was to keep the 950 and add the RM for long trips. Now it sounds like the RM will eliminate the need for my 950, which I totally love.

BTW, Semper Fi to you. I have two sons in the Marines. Me, I retired from the Navy in 1996.
Understood on no more loans. The wife and I keep saying the same thing. We have paid everything off but the car, home, and bike. We will always need a car...a home...and for my mental health...a bike. I sort of like the Navy. LOL. I didn't like floating on the Forrestal for 6 months. We were put in the belly of the boat and the Captain liked to call GQ. I was never good at those damn ladder wells. Semper Fi my brother.

Z

Reactions: Roll On

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Well WaltW have you made any progress? The RM or Chieftain sure are awesome bikes.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I currently own/ride a 2009 VStar 950. When I retire soon, I want to take long trips around the country on a touring bike. Since I am 6' 4" tall, the stock Gold Wing will not work for me (too cramped). I feel the Roadmaster is the right bike for that role. I am wondering about the short trips though. Most of my current rides are under 30 minutes each way and my 950 is very nimble for that style of riding. How does the Roadmaster do for those short trips with many tight turns, including u-turns? I am wondering if I need to keep my 950 for those trips.
I also ride a Chieftain same frame its great for short or long trips. I am 6'3 I did have too change the seat I went with Corbin and I love it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Clif, I'm 6'6" and old enough that I value comfort;) I find the RM to be very comfortable, I can get my boots under both the brake and shift pedals. I did install a set of highway pegs looking forward to long trips. I also agree with the dealer's remarks on leaning the bike. I came out of a gas station and cut the corner tight, thought I was going to drop it and it just went rode right through like a sport bike. I had a Venture before this and that bike was very top heavy, the RM feels much more natural to ride.
Hope you get to enjoy your ride soon!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm 5'8 and I feel amazingly comfortable so I have to think you MAY be crampped a bit depending on your gear...again..just my opinon. I would NOT recommend the back rest without alterations as I heard folks your size feel "pushed forward".

I also will tell you I have 230 miles on my RM and 150 have been with a passenger so I'm still not yet 100% set with u turns and parking lot menuverablity. Tht's more due to lack of practice (due to passenger) then any physical or macanical issue.

Hope thats useful information for you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
400 miles on my RM.... was riding a Vulcan 1500... The RM handles like a dream compared to the Vulcan. This is how a bike should handle!

·
Registered
132 Posts
5000 on the rm and still amazed how nimble it feels. Handles way better than 3 previous wings and a vision, yamaha 750. The seat on the rm looks fantastic but the support blows for the driver. Too much buffeting for me with the stock windshield and the flare was the same with distortion. Got the large windshield and tadaa , I'm happy. Highway pegs in my future. Wait whats that smell ; damn melted my rainsuit leg on the frickin hot pipe. They all have trade offs but the rm fits me. Short test drives wont tell you anything but the more I ride the more I like it. The shifter is adjustable for boot height.

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
...have to agree with most. My Chieftain handles better than any of my last three Road Kings. And if you haven't rode with a passenger in awhile, go to a parking lot and practice a little bit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have 1500 miles on my Roadmaster, being 6'4, I've found that I feel a bit cramped/pushed forward. it's not a deal breaker (Duh, I bought it) I feel I would benefit greatly from a 12" ape and possible new seat.
So far only Dirtybird (That I've found) makes 4" bars (for 500+ BUCKS!:eek:)
Arlen Ness is working on bars, but nothing as of yet unfortunately.

·
Registered
215 Posts
5000 on the rm and still amazed how nimble it feels. Handles way better than 3 previous wings and a vision, yamaha 750. The seat on the rm looks fantastic but the support blows for the driver. Too much buffeting for me with the stock windshield and the flare was the same with distortion. Got the large windshield and tadaa , I'm happy. Highway pegs in my future. Wait whats that smell ; damn melted my rainsuit leg on the frickin hot pipe. They all have trade offs but the rm fits me. Short test drives wont tell you anything but the more I ride the more I like it. The shifter is adjustable for boot height.
Great to hear about the windshield. I'm in the same situation and waiting for the chieftain large screen as well. Hope it works

1 - 20 of 32 Posts