Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30' inseam and can reach the gear and brake pedals OK.

HOWEVER on all the Indians I have sat on I can't reach the sidestand when it's down!

Anyone else have this problem?

tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also Have a 30' inseam. Yeah the kickstand is a bit of a stretch but it's reachable. I got used to it fairly quickly. What I have had to do on some bikes that I cannot reach, is to ride it off the stand and then tuck it in if it didn't just pop to the stowed position.
What I find a bit more of an issue on the Indian Vintage is how far the bars are from me. The rear of the seat needs about 2 more inches to push me forward. That low slung seat keeps pulling my hind end back and I get that sharp pain between my shoulder blades from reaching for the controls.
That doesn't make the bike unrideable but it does limit how many miles I can put on it in one stretch.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed that hands width gap behind the butt, didn't think it would be too much of an issue as I could sort out something to put there to push me forward. A rider's backrest might do it.

I have only sat on these bikes so far, but they have certainly grabbed my attention.

tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
19655 said:
I also Have a 30' inseam. Yeah the kickstand is a bit of a stretch but it's reachable. I got used to it fairly quickly. What I have had to do on some bikes that I cannot reach, is to ride it off the stand and then tuck it in if it didn't just pop to the stowed position.
What I find a bit more of an issue on the Indian Vintage is how far the bars are from me. The rear of the seat needs about 2 more inches to push me forward. That low slung seat keeps pulling my hind end back and I get that sharp pain between my shoulder blades from reaching for the controls.
That doesn't make the bike unrideable but it does limit how many miles I can put on it in one stretch.

You could get the 2' pullback bars, or have a seat guy bolster up the rim that braces your back.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4365 said:

HOWEVER on all the Indians I have sat on I can't reach the sidestand when it's down!

tom

Will a Victory kickstand fit this bike?? Either that, or have someone weld a peg or rod at the proper point for the heel to catch it and pull it up or when parking to push it down. Of course the kickstand would have to be rechromed..............

Or maybe something aftermarket???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@easyricer - Interesting that you feel the bars need to be 2' closer - I have said the exact same thing about my Vintage after the first 20 miles! I'm also vertically challenged and trying to decide whether to get the 2' pullback bars or the shorter reach seat. Has anyone ridden with the seat option? This big ol' girl is a bear to back up for me - of course I'm also used to my Spirit, which is a LOT lighter and about 1' lower in the seat. If you move a little forward in the seat, it relaxes that pain between your shoulder blades and damn, this thing is comfortable to ride - so effortless. I've also developed some facial pain from smiling so much, but I'll get over it, maybe.

The biggest complaint I have so far is that wherever I stop, people are asking to take pictures and asking questions. Well, not really a complaint, of course, just cuts into my riding time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4365 said:

tom
Would the reach seat help like push you forward and down to get you closer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4365 said:

tom
I have a 29' inside leg and didn't have a problem putting the sidestand in or out on the pre-production models I sat on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Classic on order and I will be in shortly. I ordered the reduced reach seat. I'll let you all know how the seat affects my ability to reach the kick stand. I had a difficult time reaching the kickstand on a demo ride.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had the same problem with reach on my Classic, cured it by adding 2" pull back bars and replacing the stock seat with the reduced reach seat, that put me 1" closer and 1" lower. Added together I am 3" closer, the fit is Perfect! I work Saturdays at the local Indian dealership showing bikes. The salesmen are continuously taking customers outside to sit on my bike so they can see what a good fit feels like. As for neck and shoulder pain, you should definitely make sure the bars aren't positioned too high. Even a little bit can make a difference. When the bikes are set up they use a general, one size fits all approach to positioning the bars (I asked the tech that puts the bikes together). The rule of thumb is your forearms should be parallel with the ground from wrist to elbow when sitting upright on the bike. If you are reaching up, even a little bit, the traps and shoulders begin to hurt from the tension and fatigue over the long haul. I had this problem when I first got my bike, then I lowered the bars. It has made a tremendous difference in the fatigue I used to feel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 30" inseam as well and purchased the Reduced Reach Seat after putting about 500 miles on the bike. It is definitely a better fit and worth the money for us short a*se people. The stand is still a bit of a reach but better than with stock seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@easyricer - Interesting that you feel the bars need to be 2' closer - I have said the exact same thing about my Vintage after the first 20 miles! I'm also vertically challenged and trying to decide whether to get the 2' pullback bars or the shorter reach seat. Has anyone ridden with the seat option? This big ol' girl is a bear to back up for me - of course I'm also used to my Spirit, which is a LOT lighter and about 1' lower in the seat. If you move a little forward in the seat, it relaxes that pain between your shoulder blades and damn, this thing is comfortable to ride - so effortless. I've also developed some facial pain from smiling so much, but I'll get over it, maybe.

The biggest complaint I have so far is that wherever I stop, people are asking to take pictures and asking questions. Well, not really a complaint, of course, just cuts into my riding time.

Hi there, I own a '08 Dodge Challenger in Hemi Orange. After five years I still get people wanting pictures or just to talk about the car. I'm ready to do it all over again with the Indian.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I rode my friend Brenda's chieftain before I bought mine and she had the lower seat and the 2" closer bars, I have a 30" inseam as well. I have a longer torso for my legs, if that makes sense. I found her setup to not work for me. My Chieftain is stock so far, but I have thought about going to the shorter seat, which also pushes you up a little closer to the bars. I can sit flat footed at a stop np, but have had trouble when I have passenger aboard, I just have to be careful how far I let it tip side to side or I get to see how well my crashbars work and they protect very well. the sidestand issue, everyone has problems with theirs, it's a long throw, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have both bars on the Chieftain. Forgot to put my kickstand down once and the bars worked wonderfully. I am 6'-2" and 230# and it is everything I can do to get it back on it's wheels. The chieftain is a lot of bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem (29' inseam). What I do is I push the bike forward to drag the kickstand back until I can reach or sometimes it will just spring back. To put it down I push the kickstand down until it touches the ground and I drag the bike back until it is deployed. My current problem is how to turn the bike around once I pull it into the garage. Currently I have to back it out and down my inclined driveway and sometimes I get stuck in the gutter between the driveway and the street (real embarrassing). So I start the bike, drive it up the driveway and coast it back again. I do this several times until I can make it over the gutter. How do you other short legged Indian riders pull out of your garage with an inclined driveway?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My inseam is 32 inchs. The demo ride was very comfortable. The kickstand is a bit of a reach but not to bad. I ordered my green and ivory vintage on the 13th the day of the demo rides. The floor boards are noticeably higher than my roadstar. I will not miss scraping floor boards on hard corners. I'm not selling the roadstar it has been a great bike. 30,500 miles all trouble free and very fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you guys with shorter inseams tried lowering the bike? Greensboro has sold one lowered for a rider. Just thinking out loud here, but it seems that would be the easiest way to solve your problems?

·
Registered
141 Posts
there is a product out to lower the bike inch and a half, with a different bracket for the shock mount,, also if u cannot reach the kickstand I put a snowmobile stud in kickstand drill hole in in curved up part ofkickstand and stud installs with a locking nut on the bottom works great, buddy is vertically impared, he also has reach seat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts