Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, hoping someone that knows about the various shocks Indian uses can enlighten me. Currently, Indian lists two shocks that it uses for the TS based bikes. The difference is the application. So the Springfield, Vintage, new VDH all get the "regular" shock with part # 1544281. The Springfield DH and most Chieftains/RM Elite/Limited/DH get a "tour" version with part # 1544279. Then Indian sells the Fox lowering shock that has a part # 2884423. What are the differences? My dealer says the 1544279 and Fox lowering shock are essentially the same and lowers the ride, but they are significantly different price-wise and different part numbers. Hope someone can clarify, thanks.

·
Bronze member
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found a couple of threads that had good info. Had to do a google search as site search sucks. I guess the only question I have is does the lowering shock still maintain the 4.5" rear travel?

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,373 Posts
Nope
You trade your lowering for your travel
Ever see the lowered Hondas for example
They are so squatted down that they ride down the road like a stiff board.

·
Bronze member
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I hear what you are saying, but the previous threads that I saw measured the lengths of the standard shock with the lowering shock and they are the same. Also most have reported no change in ride quality. The "tour" shock is listed as having the same travel as standard, 4.5", so I just don't know what to think.

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,373 Posts
Think about it
Your shock is the link in your suspension travel
And you lower or shorten this shock
Yeah i could believe others telling you it rides the same or rides good.
I have seen these Hondas or other cars lowered bouncing down the road like a freakin ping pong ball with the caster way out wearing tires like a SOB and people say they ride good😂

·
Registered
375 Posts
There are lots of people riding the Fox lowering shock and loving it. Search the community above and see.

i have rode plenty of lowered Vics and one inch doesn’t effect anything on them. I have read the same on the Indians. I will tell you 3” on a Vic does though! Done that too!

Just another idea for you, i recently had a Corbin seat made and I told them I wanted to be flat footing it with ease. They narrowed the nose of the seat (they called it a nose-job) and it feels 2” lower. I love the modification!

Good luck!

·
Bronze member
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Improvement of ride quality has never crossed my mind, the Indians have great suspension. I'm thinking of buying the new crimson and maroon springfield and want the same stance as the sdh or the cdh. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Did you ever find out if 1544279 is the factory installed lowerIng shock vs 2884423 being the lowering kit that is sold?

·
Rider
1,243 Posts
Thought I would drop this into the TS Garage. Fits 2014 - 2021 Thunder Stroke bikes.
Pretty interesting, and high quality suspension upgrade parts.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts