Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if everyone is following the recommended pressures from the table below? Reason I ask, is my dealer set my pressure to 50 PSI. Based on the chart, mine should actually be 0 or 10 max as I weigh 190 lbs? Any thoughts as to why they would set it there? Based on the chart, and set at 50, total weight should be around 325 - 330 lbs. If I adjust to 10, I assume the ride will be smoother? (2018 Chieftain Limited - no trunk)

Thanks in advance!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
It will be smoother on the bumps at the lower pressure. But you can keep it where the ride feels best to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am 230lb. I have mine set at 70 psi. No passengers - ever..... fairly empty bags (rain gear and chaps). Firm and smooth thru bumps.... not saggy and soft (when I sit on the bike...it may sag about an inch)... I ride somewhat fast and like the firm feel. Dont want it too loose feeling in the corners.

·
Bronze member
2,024 Posts
I am 230lb. I have mine set at 70 psi. No passengers - ever..... fairly empty bags (rain gear and chaps). Firm and smooth thru bumps.... not saggy and soft (when I sit on the bike...it may sag about an inch)... I ride somewhat fast and like the firm feel. Dont want it too loose feeling in the corners.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I set mine to slightly firmer than what the table suggests. I bought my Roadmaster used and I didn't even know there was a pressure setting for the rear shock my first trip out. I remember loading up the bike with my girlfriend and full bags and trunk. I got head shake a few times hitting bumps on highway ramps. After watching some YouTube videos, I discovered I needed to set the shock for me, my passenger and all of our crap. I had to order a pump since the previous owner kept it and I found "0" psi. 20,000+ miles later, I can't say I've had the head shake like I did that on the first trip.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't follow the chart. I run 25 to 30 psi at 210 pounds when I'm solo.

Phil

·
Rider
648 Posts
I’m about 195lbs. I run mine at 25 pounds with just me, I have found that to be my”sweet spot” between handling and ride firmness.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I weigh 185 and I’ve never put any air in the rear shock of my 2018 Chieftain Limited and it seems to be OK to me. I’m planning on a big ride packing 9 days of clothes. I’ll be using a light weight non- Indian leather bag on the luggage rack and packed saddle bags. Do I need to add air?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
456 Posts
Thanks for this post! I'm 250 and the chart states 17psi. Can't say I have a problem with that (nothing to compare it to), but I've seen a few videos with guys talking about 30 and 40 psi! Without looking at the chart I thought that's way high. But based on this thread I may benefit from a bit higher psi. Perfect time to install my relocation kit too I guess.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I weigh 160 and roll with zero air. The boss lady weighs 115 and with both of us on 2up loaded down on a road trip I run 30lbs bike floats down the road rides beautiful

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,255 Posts
When I had my Chieftain I usually kept about 25 to 30 psi in the shock to prevent bottoming out. I weigh about 225 pounds. I always carried rain gear, kickstand plate, owners manual and tire gauge etc. in the left saddlebag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts