Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on shipping hard saddlebags for anyone that has done it and might have some insight. Basically looking to ship from New York State, to either Manitoba, Canada or Nebraska. I have some coworkers there that could bring them back across the border to save on import charges. I was wondering what the weight and size is on average, and who’s generally the cheapest either within lower 48 or cross border. I swear I remember reading somewhere that shipping the bags individually is cheaper but I can’t recall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Rider
832 Posts
Individual is cheaper. I recently sold a pair of Victory Cross Country bags. If I had shipped in the original OEM container which was heavyweight cardboard and foam, I would’ve paid $290 for UPS or FEDEX. I went to Home Depot and ordered two single heavyweight boxes and each of those shipped was $65 so I saved $160.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't speak for USPS but Canada Post has a calculator where you input size, weight and destination and voila it will cost $X.XX
USPS must have the same

·
Bronze Member
1,660 Posts
If you are shipping a large object within the continental U.S., you may want to check with Fastenal. (yeah the store where you go buy nuts and bolts) I have shipped large objects with them. You have to box up the item and strap it down onto a pallet then drop it off at your local Fastenal store. They will load it onto one of their trucks and will deliver it to a Fastenal store of the recipients choosing. They will notify the recipient that the item is sitting outside on the stores loading dock and is ready to be picked up. (they will not store it inside) It will then be up to the recipient to pick up the pallet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the all the advice, looking at a few sites like fedex and ups etc they have calculators and I’ve got an idea of the saddle bag size off the tcmt bags on eBay. What’d the bags you shipped weigh @Sith Life any idea?

·
Rider
832 Posts
Thanks for the all the advice, looking at a few sites like fedex and ups etc they have calculators and I’ve got an idea of the saddle bag size off the tcmt bags on eBay. What’d the bags you shipped weigh @Sith Life any idea?
The total weight with the big box was 48 pounds. I don’t recall the individual weight but it was around 21 pounds or so since each box cut down on the extra foam and cardboard from the big box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts