Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Chieftain® Dark Horse® Thunder Black Smoke
103 Posts
You should be in first before you stop.
I concur. I’ve always shifted into 1st during the last few feet of my stop. Especially, with all the traffic nowadays. I want to be ready to get out of the way of the gravel haulers bearing down on me.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,104 Posts
You Should always be in first by the time you stop…but sometimes you’re busy avoiding some azzhat to do this. In that case you may have to rock the bike/feather the clutch to get there

You should always stay in 1st at a stop…but I put it in neutral if I have two or more cars stopped being me.

I’ve read news reports about bikers getting rear ended at stop lights, worked with one bike who was put in the hospital for that very reason. One time I flashed my brake lights when I saw someone coming up behind me quickly. That was enough for them to not run into my backside but I was glad I was ready to move if she hadn’t.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You Should always be in first by the time you stop…but sometimes you’re busy avoiding some azzhat to do this. In that case you may have to rock the bike/feather the clutch to get there

You should always stay in 1st at a stop…but I put it in neutral if I have two or more cars stopped being me.

I’ve read news reports about bikers getting rear ended at stop lights, worked with one bike who was put in the hospital for that very reason. One time I flashed my brake lights when I saw someone coming up behind me quickly. That was enough for them to not run into my backside but I was glad I was ready to move if she hadn’t.
I'm in the habit of working the front brake lever a lot to flash the lights--at least until there are multiple vehicle stopped behind me.
\
And shame on Polaris with putting out bikes that only have 2 not very big round run/brake/turn red lights on the rear. Definitely NOT enough lighting. I added the Custom Dynamic LED lights that mount just under the rear of the saddlebag lids on my Challenger and it definitely makes me more visible.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

If you "have to rock the bike and feather the clutch" to get into first from neutral with the engine running, then you need to check your clutch adjustment.

·
6,104 Posts
If you "have to rock the bike and feather the clutch" to get into first from neutral with the engine running, then you need to check your clutch adjustment.
I disagree but OK...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I disagree but OK...
Why do you disagree? I'm curious. Do you find it normal to have a hard time getting into gear from neutral to take off after starting the bike? If not, what could be different between running in neutral after starting and running in neutral at a stop? Like I said, just curious, not trying to start anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I brain farted today and got stopped without getting to first. I had to sit there and feather the clutch and work the shifter a few times to get into 1st. I will not cast any stones, but you should always downshift before you stop...Heck, it's how I slow down most of the time.
Exactly. Me too. Sometimes I brain fart too, get distracted and don't get down shifted. I hate having traffic wait behind me while I get it back to 1st so I can GO. Usually I too slow the bike by downshifting and approaching a stop from a distance slowly. I try to NOT have to put my feet down.

·
6,786 Posts
I am always in gear at a stop sign or red light. Normally it's first gear but I have occasionally been in second and took off in second gear. Not intentionally, but it has happened a few times.

·
6,104 Posts
Sometimes when not moving I shift to first before I stop
If you shift before you stop how are you not moving???

If you’re not moving how do you shift before you stop???

·
Rider
1,765 Posts
I guess I'm jus really curious about all of you who say that stay in 1st at stop lights because you're worried about someone slamming into your backside.

Now, I've only bee riding since 1973. In all of that time I have never had anyone even come close to hitting me at a stop light. Of all of the people I know who ride, not one of them has related a story about someone either almost, or actually, running into them in that situation.

So, that being said, for all of you who are so vehemently in favor of staying in 1st, for that safety reason, have you, or anyone you know, actually had that happen?

If not, I still do understand the whole "better safe than sorry" and "ride for the slide" philosophy of motorcycling. So, as a 2nd question, for the same group, how many of you are also ATGATT.

Neither of these question is meant to be a "got'cha" or anything like that.

BD

·
Bronze member
3,939 Posts
My first brand new bike was a 1966 Honda 305 DREAM,white in color,and bought new in the spring of 1966,which was a looooooooooooooooong time ago. o_O One day,while stopped at a stop sign on that bike,I too got rear ended.But as luck had it,and because the bike was still in gear on impact,it caused my hand to release the clutch lever and the motor to act like a brake which kept the bike from rapidly lunging forward which was only for a few feet.And I did not hit anything,anyone, or get injured..And yes,I did fall over,but because that impact only caused me to move forward a few feet,I did not get hurt,nor did the bike suffer any damage.But had I been in neutral,the impact of that hit would have sent me flying,out of control,and into oncoming traffic, hence I kinda doubt that I would be here today telling this story.But,each to his or her own because there is nothing etched in stone that says the bike needs to be in neutral or in gear when stopped.So I guess it's up to the individual as to whether they wanna put in in neutral or leave it in gear. Dave!!!

·
6,104 Posts
I guess I'm jus really curious about all of you who say that stay in 1st at stop lights because you're worried about someone slamming into your backside.

Now, I've only bee riding since 1973. In all of that time I have never had anyone even come close to hitting me at a stop light. Of all of the people I know who ride, not one of them has related a story about someone either almost, or actually, running into them in that situation.

So, that being said, for all of you who are so vehemently in favor of staying in 1st, for that safety reason, have you, or anyone you know, actually had that happen?

If not, I still do understand the whole "better safe than sorry" and "ride for the slide" philosophy of motorcycling. So, as a 2nd question, for the same group, how many of you are also ATGATT.

BD
I for one have. Leaving NAS Patuxent River it used to be the two right lanes turned right. The next lane went right or straight, next lane went straight, and the far left lane went left. I was leaving base and in the right of the two straight lanes. I saw a person coming behind me not slowing down. I flash my brakes and started to move left when the person quickly moved right and kept going.

A friend of mine was sitting at a light at7 am watching it since it was about to turn green. Next thing he remembered was waking up lying in the ditch. It seems the driver who was coming up behind him was heading home after working all night. He admitted that he fell asleep and woke up just before impact. He tried to swerve away but clipped my friend. Had he not woken up in time my friend probably would've been killed since it's a 55 mph highway. Worst part was he was just getting back into riding after being gone for several years. He went out early in the morning before all the crazies were on the road...

Another friend of mine was on a 65 mph divided highway again stopped at a light but this time in his cage. It was dark and he saw a pair of lights coming up quickly and not slowing down. Being a biker he flashed his brakes and prepared to move when the car lost control and crashed. The driver again admitted that he fell asleep but was woken up by the flashing lights.

I for one always stay in gear and keep an eye on my mirrors until at least one car is behind me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Chieftain® Dark Horse® Thunder Black Smoke
103 Posts

BD

I know of 2 incidents. One in 1996- Killeen Texas. Female distracted by her kids ran into back if my First Sergeant on a shaft drive bike. Totaled the bike. No major injuries. He was at a light… not paying attention.
1999- Killeen again. Teenagers in car during dark/evening time. Another soldier I knew on an old Sportster hit at a light. Again, the rider wasn’t paying attention either. In fairness, he ran smoke colored “micro” tail/brake. No signals. Preferred hand signals and barebones look. (Probably because his peanut tank was good for about 70 miles.)
Would things have been different if the riders were paying attention to vehicle approaching from rear? Maybe/maybe not.
Leave the house 10 seconds sooner or 10 seconds later and your ride could be altered by events.

Personally, I downshift and lag back when approaching lights to save brakes and to watch my mirrors for idiots. I remain in first gear out of habit and my own personal preference.

·
Bronze member
1,545 Posts
Coming to a stop I prefer to shift into neutral coming out of second maybe down into first depending on how situation looks but always while still rolling-just a lot easier to do so. I always pulse my brakes to make sure anyone behind sees my brake lights/stopping, stopped-then hold brake to keep brake light on untill you know they have stopped. I do not sit waiting with bike in 1st gear and clutch in. I see no need. It only causes undue stress on the cable, T/O brg and clutch . This has worked for me for the last 50 + yrs of riding. Watch your rear view mirrors and leave some gap in front. If it looks like the vehicle is coming in too fast behind you , then you can shift into first an pull to the side of the vehicle in front of you. This has always worked for me. Now if I was out riding between 11pm to 3am things might be different and I would look to find ways /routes to keep moving and be more defensive. Too many people out driving intoxicated around those times. Just my opinion. I have been hit by driver doing left turn right in front of me -42 yrs ago in broad daylight and I see that as more of a problem . Try to anticipate their actions. My safety motto: ride like your invisible.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts