Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Shifting into 1st at a stop

1872 43
Is it normal for shifting Indian into 1st after fully stopping motorcycle to be difficult?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
You Should always be in first by the time you stop…but sometimes you’re busy avoiding some azzhat to do this. In that case you may have to rock the bike/feather the clutch to get there

You should always stay in 1st at a stop…but I put it in neutral if I have two or more cars stopped being me.

I’ve read news reports about bikers getting rear ended at stop lights, worked with one bike who was put in the hospital for that very reason. One time I flashed my brake lights when I saw someone coming up behind me quickly. That was enough for them to not run into my backside but I was glad I was ready to move if she hadn’t.
If you "have to rock the bike and feather the clutch" to get into first from neutral with the engine running, then you need to check your clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I disagree but OK...
Why do you disagree? I'm curious. Do you find it normal to have a hard time getting into gear from neutral to take off after starting the bike? If not, what could be different between running in neutral after starting and running in neutral at a stop? Like I said, just curious, not trying to start anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts