Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I brain farted today and got stopped without getting to first. I had to sit there and feather the clutch and work the shifter a few times to get into 1st. I will not cast any stones, but you should always downshift before you stop...Heck, it's how I slow down most of the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have taken off in second several times. At least these Indians seem to have enough torque to do this. I don't make a habit of it though.
You can do it in 3rd to....Don't ask me how I know.;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
53K on my chieftain. I do 4K Oil Change Intervals (OCI). Its worth stating that when near the end of the OCI because neutral becomes increasingly "harder" to find. - Not impossible but not as easy as when oil is new-

BTW, when I took MSF the instruction was to always shift into 1st for every stop, be it emergency or normal.
Also whenever possible it is left foot down with right remaining up so that it can retain pressure on rear brake. The thought being that braking process is always the same regardless of being levelground/steep up/steep down. Also if the habit is to always be in 1st at a stop both emergency or otherwise, if you "suddenly" decide you need to go, you are already set to do so.

·
Rider
1,755 Posts
Unless it looks like the light may getting ready to change to green (i.e., I can see the yellow light from the cross traffic or the left green arrow is already yellow) it's the big "N" for me (provided the gear shift indicator is working that day).

BD

Reactions: fishbone

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with the majority of replies. Always be in a gear (except at an extended stop like a major intersection with a long light and a bunch of fully stopped vehicles behind you). If you need to get to a safer spot quickly, you don’t want to be searching for first.

I ride my bike like I drove my dump trucks. Always be in a gear, or have the emergency brake engaged.
Since the bike doesn’t have an E-brake, …..

·
Rider
1,755 Posts
I agree with the majority of replies. Always be in a gear (except at an extended stop like a major intersection with a long light and a bunch of fully stopped vehicles behind you). If you need to get to a safer spot quickly, you don’t want to be searching for first.

I ride my bike like I drove my dump trucks. Always be in a gear, or have the emergency brake engaged.
Since the bike doesn’t have an E-brake, …..
Please don't take this the wrong way, but in my entire life I have never had to "search" for 1st gear on a bike.

BD

·
Registered
420 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but in my entire life I have never had to "search" for 1st gear on a bike.

BD
Nor have I, but I have witnessed others who had to look down at their gear indicator to get into first after stopping quickly just to get moving again. Don’t want to be doing that when someone is closing in fast on you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is it normal for shifting Indian into 1st after fully stopping motorcycle to be difficult?
N to 1st is a bit notchier than all other shifts, but it shouldn’t be difficult. Pull the clutch lever in and snap it into first. The rest should be easy and positive feeling.

·
Registered
420 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts