Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 RM. Only about 2100 miles. Today while riding my shifter stopped returning to a position where I could shift. Upshifting or downshifting I had to slightly raise or lower the shifter with my foot to be able to change gears. No problem with the gear change if if did this. I had been riding for about an hour or so before this happened. No sudden stop. No bike dropping, just riding in Iowa. When I got home everything looks ok, but if I lift the shifter, it stays in that location and I have to move it to be able to change gear again. Ideas?? Thanks for the help

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
Yes start trying it by hand and then go from there, I hope that one nut isn’t loose. Also check your left lever, good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There are 2 swivel joints (Heim joints) in the linkage between the shift lever on the case and the shift level on the floor board. You might have one or both of them bound up with corrosion. Try hitting both with penetrating lube and working the shifter ukp and down a few times by hand to see if it frees up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Return spring is how it acts. It does not bind at all, it just does not return to midline to be able to shift. It happened while I was riding. Is the spring visible or in the case not visible?
thanks

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Don't ever heard of a return spring on one, would spray with some lube as mentioned above and or disconnect one rod to the shifter to see where the bind might be.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Your return spring is partially behind the clutch basket.
The basket needs to be removed to replace it.
Return spring is how it acts. It does not bind at all, it just does not return to midline to be able to shift. It happened while I was riding. Is the spring visible or in the case not visible?
thanks
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I left it just sit last night and now is working fine. Uncertain if it was too cold??? vs like the above post just something binding. Is there a best suggestion on lube of the connections?? Thanks again

·
Registered
153 Posts
On Chieftains/RM the spline connection has very little clearance if the locking Allen bolt backs out it will jam against the cover. Put a 2x4 under the kick-stand & get a good light to look at the last arm going to the shifter linkage as you move the foot shifter.
Just had this happen on my new RM from the shop after some travel I could not get into 1st due to the Allen sticking out from coming loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue on my '16 RM. Gave each joint a shot of Liquid Wrench and worked it back and forth and it started returning home. I was afraid it was return spring untill I got down and watched. Now I am going to make sure to lube that every time I service bike to prevent it from doing it again.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Spray your linkages with something like WD40 or a grease on a regular basis. I would be surprised if it is corrosion on anew bike ,but it is possible depending on where the bike has been stored before you purchased it.

·
Bronze member
4,149 Posts
How will WD40 compound the problem ?

WD40 is a de-greaser and a solvent. Great for removing rust. It does not lubricate. Lubrication comes from the dissolving substances. It will work as a lubricant short term, but as was already posted will make things worse long term.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WD40 is a de-greaser and a solvent. Great for removing rust. It does not lubricate. Lubrication comes from the dissolving substances. It will work as a lubricant short term, but as was already posted will make things worse long term.
You might want to call WD-40 marketing/advertising dept. and tell them to stop advertising it as a lubricant !!

·
Bronze member
1,807 Posts
Too much lubricant grease or whatever can be detrimental as it collects debris, sand, etc which will accelerate wear. I use dry Teflon powder in many places to avoid this. the Teflon is not susceptible to cold temps.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Soo, you are a chemical/lubricant engineer ?
On the WD-40 can... it describes it as a "multi use product"
You must have come late to the party if you do not know that WD-40 is an acronym for Water Displacement Product Number 40..
The Penetrant from WD is not a Lube either... it dries out just like WD#40
PB is a decent Penetrant...with decent lubrication qualities..

You might want to call WD-40 marketing/advertising dept. and tell them to stop advertising it as a lubricant !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts