Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things. (2018 Roadmaster Classic)
First, my shift sensor was replaced at 4800 miles, as it had a life of its own. Then again replaced at 5400 miles. Same thing. I know standard procedure is to clean at 10K miles, but mine was malfunctioning twice now. Clearly for the '18 Roadmaster there is some issue here. Hopefully they will resolve it soon.
Second,
Anyone have the catalytic converter removed, and air intake upgraded? They tell me no issue with warranty and no emissions test issue. But the heat issue from bike completely removed as well as amazing performance. Thoughts? Oh yes and cost $2500 to do. Include air intake, labor, pipes etc. Still a bit pricey.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Do you do any of your own work? Some of it is surely straightforward enough.
On your GPS switch I suspect you might be having some unknown cause for that same switch to continue to malfunction. There is no reason for that to be failing like that, except maybe for faulty parts or faulty/incomplete service work being done. The externals (that have all the electricals) can be swapped pretty readily. It is the internal cleaning and inspection that is a little more technical. Two pins, two springs, one set of contact points... either dirty/sticky mechanical parts, or dirty electrical parts can cause it to become unreliable. The tech is supposed to do much more than just swap the switch out. Question is, "Did they do the full job?".

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I would also pursue the question... What exactly did the tech observe once inside?
Did they pull the pins and springs? Were they dirty or out of spec? Did the switch electrical test good? Or bad?
This is not a job for parts swappers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would also pursue the question... What exactly did the tech observe once inside?
Did they pull the pins and springs? Were they dirty or out of spec? Did the switch electrical test good? Or bad?
This is not a job for parts swappers.
The first time in they checked the setting and it was completely out of spec and replaced it. The second time they called Polaris who told them to run an OHM on it and found the specs from N to 1st were out of spec and replaced again. The root cause both times was stated as out of spec.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
The first time in they checked the setting and it was completely out of spec and replaced it. The second time they called Polaris who told them to run an OHM on it and found the specs from N to 1st were out of spec and replaced again. The root cause both times was stated as out of spec.
Ask whomever is telling you removing the cat doesn't void the warranty, if they will put that in writing AND back it like Polaris.?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It is possible that Polaris is having some sort of problem with that part or supplier and you just happen to be having terrible luck to have seen more than one faulty part. Purely speculation... They have been using that switch on a huge number of bikes with seemingly low failure rates. How many others here have had the problem?

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I had my dealer install high flow intake, freedom headers and stage 2 cams on my 2017 Roadmaster that was 9500 miles ago. No heat and way more power. Great sound
Just because a dealer installed it, doesn't mean the warranty is still in effect. Did the dealer give you anything in writing? Of course not. Not trying to be contrary, just pointing it out as a very real possibility.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How many others here have had the problem?
Mine went out at 12,000 miles(2018 RM) while on a road trip. Still on the trip, one day more before pulling into the drive. I stopped at two different dealers in transit, the GPS is on back order at both dealerships. One dealer mentioned having three bikes in line waiting for the fix. Not the end of the world but what a frustration, 17 days out of 20 with a bike that can't find neutral every time you stop. It's there, the bike just doesn't know it. Not to mention watching the indicator jump all over the place, mostly between 2nd,3rd, and 4th.

·
Bronze member
4,701 Posts
My gear position sensor started playing up at probably 20,000 kms. The dealer did something at the next service and it's been OK since then. I'm now at 43,000 kms.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Ask whomever is telling you removing the cat doesn't void the warranty, if they will put that in writing AND back it like Polaris.?
Plus removing the cat does make the bike much louder so regardless is people are telling you that it is minimal I would suggest listen to one that has had the cat removed and make up your own mind.I can tell you it is a lot louder than standard and it is a requirement by law in most countries these days to have a catalytic converter and that it complies with the EPA regulations. Having said that yes by doing a de cat will get rid of the dreaded heat but will also make your bike louder. Make up your own mind what you want to do. Good luck.

·
Bronze member
4,701 Posts
What is the symptoms of your gear sensor issues?
1. The gear display on the dash does not change when you shift, or else it is very slow to change - 5 to 10 seconds slow.
2. The display indicates you are in neutral, which allows the engine to start, but it's really in 1st or 2nd and the bike starts in gear.
3. You know you are in neutral but the display says you are in gear and the motor will not start.
4. Because the cruise control only works in the higher gears, you might not be able to turn on cruise if the display is still in a lower gear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. The gear display on the dash does not change when you shift, or else it is very slow to change - 5 to 10 seconds slow.
2. The display indicates you are in neutral, which allows the engine to start, but it's really in 1st or 2nd and the bike starts in gear.
3. You know you are in neutral but the display says you are in gear and the motor will not start.
4. Because the cruise control only works in the higher gears, you might not be able to turn on cruise if the display is still in a lower gear.
That is exactly what has been happening. Didn't think of the cruise control part, don't really use it. Hopefully sensor #2 will be ok. Obviously can't have a recall without a sure fix, so they just stock up on a lot at dealerships, just like the plastic dash door that has been replaced, and I assume not the last time. Love the bike, good dealership, just some of the annoying things to deal with. Believe me I had a Harley Ultra Classic, and this is nothing compared to dealing with that.

·
Bronze member
4,701 Posts
That is exactly what has been happening. Didn't think of the cruise control part, don't really use it. Hopefully sensor #2 will be ok. Obviously can't have a recall without a sure fix, so they just stock up on a lot at dealerships, just like the plastic dash door that has been replaced, and I assume not the last time. Love the bike, good dealership, just some of the annoying things to deal with. Believe me I had a Harley Ultra Classic, and this is nothing compared to dealing with that.
This is the gear position sensor. It bolts into the gearbox in behind your right ankle. The problems occur when the contacts get a bit gummed up with whatever is in the oil, probably oxides of some chemical that form under heat, or something else. Unfortunately it's not a set of six on/off contacts. Each contact has a different resistance that the computer picks up. This means they don't need six wires for it. If they don't make proper contact then the resistance of the circuit is slightly off and the wrong info gets through.

The current fix is to clean it up, but that takes workshop time for remove/replace. I think they have now added the cleaning into the normal service cycle, which means more money for that service. The real fix would be to make a part with more robust contacts.

upload_2019-9-10_15-28-15.png

·
Registered
211 Posts
i have owned my new 2018 Roadmaster now for a little over a month. from Day 1 I have been experiencing an intermittent check engine light and occasionally codes are displayed C1917:VCM Gear Sensor Signal Voltage Above Normal or Shorted to High Source & P0917:Gear Sensor Signal. Voltage Too High. it has been in the shop 4 times now and I only have a little over 1400 miles on it now. However, several times upon taking it to the shop, the codes are displayed on the infotainment center and when the tech plugs the diagnostic computer into the bike they can't see the codes. Last attempt to resolve this was to disconnect and reconnect every electrical connection on the Bike. (as described to me by the Service Manager). I rode this past weekend about 400 miles. the first 300 displayed codes and check engine light. but magically cleared and have been riding the last 100 miles as if nothing is wrong. Although I have noticed the Gear indication does get confused on occasion typically around the 1st neutral and 2nd gear positions. I am also looking for some relief regarding the heat on the right side of this bike. I looked up some auto ignition temperatures for denim and found a temp of 500 Degrees F. I have heard the Temp for this exhaust can be measured at around 500 F. I called a company that will take my header and remove the cat said the temp will come down from 500 to less than 250 with a performance gain. I know they are salesmen but I don't believe the Captain Itch will be enough to make this more comfortable. One other note, a riding buddy told me that when he rides in groups, he does not like to be behind de catted bikes because there is a lot of un burnt fuel in the exhaust and the smell is pretty strong. Unfortunately I am feeling like I don't have much of a choice at the moment. 100 F days down in Texas with high humidity and the radiating heat really starts coming through the jeans.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Curious to what kind of oil people are using with the gear indicator failures. Factory or full synthetic.

I have read those who switched to full synthetic, had the gear position issues go away. Synthetic oil does not hold dirt or contaminants in suspension like dyno oil does. Possible the semi- synthetic Indian oil is putting excessive deposits on the switch.

But then again, if those having the issue are running full synthetic, then above theory is toast.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did not buy the service package because I planned to do all the maintenance to my bike myself. however, the dealer sold me on the most important service as the 500 mile service for 375$. Especially since I have been having problems already, I had them go back through the bike for this critical service including the swap from break in oil to synthetic. as I mentioned I only have 1400 miles on it so far, however, it was an 18 and I only bought it about a month ago. I don't know If sitting on the showroom floor for a year or more caused any issues.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
i have owned my new 2018 Roadmaster now for a little over a month. from Day 1 I have been experiencing an intermittent check engine light and occasionally codes are displayed C1917:VCM Gear Sensor Signal Voltage Above Normal or Shorted to High Source & P0917:Gear Sensor Signal. Voltage Too High. it has been in the shop 4 times now and I only have a little over 1400 miles on it now. However, several times upon taking it to the shop, the codes are displayed on the infotainment center and when the tech plugs the diagnostic computer into the bike they can't see the codes. Last attempt to resolve this was to disconnect and reconnect every electrical connection on the Bike. (as described to me by the Service Manager). I rode this past weekend about 400 miles. the first 300 displayed codes and check engine light. but magically cleared and have been riding the last 100 miles as if nothing is wrong. Although I have noticed the Gear indication does get confused on occasion typically around the 1st neutral and 2nd gear positions. I am also looking for some relief regarding the heat on the right side of this bike. I looked up some auto ignition temperatures for denim and found a temp of 500 Degrees F. I have heard the Temp for this exhaust can be measured at around 500 F. I called a company that will take my header and remove the cat said the temp will come down from 500 to less than 250 with a performance gain. I know they are salesmen but I don't believe the Captain Itch will be enough to make this more comfortable. One other note, a riding buddy told me that when he rides in groups, he does not like to be behind de catted bikes because there is a lot of un burnt fuel in the exhaust and the smell is pretty strong. Unfortunately I am feeling like I don't have much of a choice at the moment. 100 F days down in Texas with high humidity and the radiating heat really starts coming through the jeans.
Unburnt fuel = improperly tuned bike. NOT the cat! If that bike still had the cat in place it would also be exhibiting problems with unburnt fuel. Moral of that story, any modifications affecting tuning should include the whole puzzle to include a tuner and proper setup. We like great running and great sounding bikes, we don't like dirty exhaust.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts