Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I tried to replace my shift peg today with a longer one. I can’t get the dam thing to break loose. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
so I tried to replace my shift peg today with a longer one. I can’t get the dam thing to break loose. Any suggestions?
Likely put in with Loctite red... will require heat and patience and luck to change it out. Mostly the heat will do the trick for softening any Loctite in the threads.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used vice grips, pliers and a LOT of time. It took about 15 minutes of pure fighting, but I won! I was doing the heel shifter and putting a shorter peg on, but the battle is the same.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
As dieselgman mentioned heat is best and will work ,I suggest a hair drier as a oxy torch ,will apply too much heat lol. But it will work .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll give it some heat and see if that works, tried the vice grips, felt like I was going to rip the rubber off the peg.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’ll give it some heat and see if that works, tried the vice grips, felt like I was going to rip the rubber off the peg.
I used channel loks on mine. The handles are longer than vice grips and they give you a little more leverage. Careful with the heat the end of the shifter is rubber.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
It does not require a great deal of heat to deal with Loctite, but I use a mini propane torch. Just a touch at a time until she loosens... like magic. Coefficient of expansion for aluminum casting is substantially more than for steel if you don't happen to like the "magic" explanation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts