Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was back east for a couple months for work, and when I got home and checked on the bike, I noticed a significant amount of oil on the floor underneath. At first I thought it was coming from the pan, but I traced the dampness back and found that it was coming from this, whatever it is:
sketch-1520554962644.png

sketch-1520555027334.png

I'm planning on getting it to the dealership once the temperature rises about murderously cold, but does anyone know what that is, and why it's leaking? I have a 2015 scout, so the power train should be under warranty. However, I have installed a RPW 2-1 and an EJK, so I have a sneaking suspicion they'll try to blame me for this, whatever it is.

The small bit of oil underneath is after 24 hours, I moved it to a new spot to see if it would continue to leak.

Thanks in advance!

·
Bronze member
5,077 Posts
Inside the round chrome plate is the stator, and that wire coming through that rubber plug is the stator harness connector lead. The rubber piece is just a bung that seals against oil at no pressure. Here's what's inside. The bung is the chunky piece just above #22.

If it's the bung that's leaking it might be dislodged or needs replacing. Or it might be a leak from the stator cover gasket.

Scout stator.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was back east for a couple months for work, and when I got home and checked on the bike, I noticed a significant amount of oil on the floor underneath. At first I thought it was coming from the pan, but I traced the dampness back and found that it was coming from this, whatever it is:
View attachment 384482
View attachment 384484

I'm planning on getting it to the dealership once the temperature rises about murderously cold, but does anyone know what that is, and why it's leaking? I have a 2015 scout, so the power train should be under warranty. However, I have installed a RPW 2-1 and an EJK, so I have a sneaking suspicion they'll try to blame me for this, whatever it is.

The small bit of oil underneath is after 24 hours, I moved it to a new spot to see if it would continue to leak.

Thanks in advance!
Betting the stator needs to be replaced. My 16 Scout (not Scout sixty) with 7100 miles developed a leak in the same spot. Its in the shop now getting the stator replaced. I'm told there is a service bulletin on this. Fortunately, its covered under warranty still. But the dealer had to get the warranty repair approved, then order parts, then shipping time, then work it into the schedule. Many inefficiencies in the process. Good luck!

·
Bronze member
1,453 Posts
Apologies for bringing up an old post.

Koolmo, did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?
It's interesting though...

Indian = tiny little spot of oil = "that's unusual, she's leaking... must check it out"

Harley = 3 foot by 2 foot patch of oil - "nah, mate, she'll be right, she does that all the time, it's normal for these big Vs"

I guess it shows that Indian owners are used to quality! (hahah!!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts