Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from anyone and everyone who have actually test rode any 2014 Indian motorcycle. Your first impressions and no BS feedback would be great to read. Thanks to everyone in advance who contribute to this post.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smooth ride , powerfull motor, harley ergonomics, throttle by wire ( sllightly different feel ), light on their feet, rode them all and the wow factor was nothing in comparison to my vision ( personal preferences ), so not interested !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your question labob, just read mister-g's comments. Thank you for a respectful, fact based answer based on your test ride mister-g.

I have not riden a Victory. Many have and continue to say once you ride a Victory you will not want to go back to HD or other brands for that matter. Being a current HD owner that is how I feel about the Chieftain. In my opinion they captured the look AND provided technology that has helped produce a great overall motorcycle riding experience. Even some Victory riders have said why have they not added some of these features to Victory models.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Indian does some things better, but not everything. I assume you would be comparing the Chieftain to a Cross Country? The Victory handles better and is more comfortable. The overhead valve Vic engine seems to make more noises, the trans is louder, and the exhaust does not sound as good. The Indian's exhaust is imo better than anything else out there. Deep low rumble that barks if you like to jack it off while at a stop light. But under cruise it's very mellow, not obnoxious or annoying at all. Indian has much better low end torque too. If I bought a Cross Country or Vision I would have to add cams, the Indian I could ride stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a ton of reviews already out there including mine, just do a search. Just about every motorcycle forum has reviews.

I was ready to pick up a Heritage for a second bike until I rode the new Indians, the test ride put an end to that. Most Vision riders will tell you though that it does not compare to their bikes and I would agree with that. They are not even in the same class. For me I was impressed with the 111 engine, it made my 106 look like a dog. There are those that disagree with me on that point, but I was comparing it to my Vision and not their ride. In a nutshell, I really liked it, not enough to replace my Vision but will probably own one as a second scoot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what 'Choice' is all about. With all due respect the Vision doesn't compare with the Chieftain, nor does the Cross Country or stock Harleys, power wise. I've test ridden the Vision and Cross Country many times, including just before my Chieftain test ride at Sturgis. The Victory's aren't for me and it's not the look that bugs me. It's the ackward feel and noisy motors. I don't like the ergonomics. Power wise? The Chieftain has much more and much quicker power throughout the range, and at any point in the range. Try to accelerate a Harley or Victory at 60 mph in 6th gear and it struggles. You have to drop to 5th if you need the power NOW. On the Chieftain? Twist your right hand and hold on! :) Hey, we all have different 'feels', desires, etc. Choice is a cool thing! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned a Cross Country for 3 yrs. and loved it every minute. Why did I put a deposit on a Chieftain....... I guess I trusted the parent Company, and I just felt like I was ready for a change. I had the Stage One on my Victory and I didn't think the Indian was a whole lot more powerful than my Vic. I think the Vic would rev a little quicker and I attribute that to the engine design. The Indian did feel more torquey.
I also liked the rumble of the Indian's pipes, and the fact the mechanical noise from the Victory engine was not present. I thought the dash had a little nicer look to it than the Cross Country.
The only disadvantage I could see with the Chieftain after my test ride was that the floorboards on the Indian are a little smaller and it just felt like it had a tad less room on it.
If in a few years I'm not impressed with the Chieftain, I would have no problem going back to a Cross Country, but I doubt if that will be case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I demoed all 3 and thought they had a nice ride. The Chieftain surprised me as I didn't want to like it after having a couple of the X bikes with all the wind management issues. But the Chieftain was rock solid and everyone that rode them at our local dealer (Wagner Motorsports / Indian of New England) really liked them. No weird buffeting or waffling at certain speed and this was without lowers!

The paint looked like it had more clear on it (even the black) and the bike felt SOLID on the highway. One observation by many was the heat emitting from the rear cylinder. I don't recall my former Victorys putting out that much heat from the rear cylinder. The TS 111 has the 1 inch offset on the rear jug, just like the Victory. I felt heat on both of my hamstrings on the Classic and Vintage (more so with those plastic factory lower deflectors) that they had on most of the demo's. I did ride FIVE times and was able to ride a bike without the lowers and it made a big difference. Interestingly enough, the Chieftain I rode did NOT have lowers and I only felt heat on my LEFT hamstring (the offset), nothing on the right.

The torque was great for average highway driving. If you want to race, you'll have to wait for LLoyd to make stuff.

I thought all the bikes handled well.

I'm making an edit to also say the tranny was great. You can truly come to a stop and find Neutral easily. Not like the 'new and improved' Victory transmissions...........Also, no herky jerky when getting on and off the throttle.

It seems like people want to nit pick the Inidians at times on here, but I'm surprised no one complained about the heat from the rear jug at idle, but once you're going, you're fine. I'll be curious to see fuel economy reports from the first riders, that is if you can 'behave' with the throttle

I'm shooting for a Red Classic in the late spring. I'll need some luck to make the deal happen, but I'm working on it. I would like to see Indian offer the cast wheels for the NON Chieftain bike in a color matched scheme. I can't imagine wiping down all those spokes.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2108 said:
I demoed all 3 and thought they had a nice ride. The Chieftain surprised me as I didn't want to like it after having a couple of the X bikes with all the wind management issues. But the Chieftain was rock solid and everyone that rode them at our local dealing (Wagner Motorsports / Indian of New England) really liked them. No weird buffeting or waffling at certain speed and this was without lowers!

The paint looked nicer and the bike felt SOLID on the highway. One observation by many was the heat emitting from the rear cylinder. I don't recall my former Victorys putting out that much heat from the rear cylinder. The TS 111 has the 1 inch offset on the rear jug, just like the Victory. I felt heat on both of my hamstrings on the Classic and Vintage (more so with those plastic factory lower deflectors) that they had on most of the demo's. I did ride FIVE times and was able to ride a bike without the lowers and it made a big difference. Interestingly enough, the Chieftain I rode did NOT have lowers and I only felt heat on my LEFT hamstring (the offset), nothing on the right.

The torque was great for average highway driving. If you want to race, you'll have to wait for LLoyd to make stuff.

I thought all the bikes handled well.

It seems like people want to nit pick the Inidians at times on here, but I'm surprised no one complained about the heat from the rear jug at idle, but once you're going, you're fine. I'll be curious to see fuel economy reports from the first riders, that is if you can 'behave' with the throttle

I'm shooting for a Red Classic in the late spring. I'll need some luck to make the deal happen, but I'm working on it. I would like to see Indian offer the cast wheels for the NON Chieftain bike in a color matched scheme. I can't imagine wiping down all those spokes.........
I look at it and can't imagine cleaning all that chrome. I had a lot of chrome on my VTX1300. That learned me.

Nice review by the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Test Ride in Daytona was quite short, so will this review be .. I test Rode the Chieftain and Loved it .. Great Engine Sound and Response, Smooth Shifting, Good Ergonomics for my size anyway . Thought the Layout of the Dash and Controls was good and the Adjustable windshield was Icing on the Cake .. Until they are readily available though will enjoy my XC ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I test rode a chieftan saturday in Greer SC. There was a huge crowd there to check out the new Indians so was only able to get one ride.The bikes are beautiful and I loved the power of the 111. The torque difference was very noticable compared to the 106 and a quiet transmission. A couple of things I didnt like was there was very little room between the mirrors and grips, the rear brake pedal seemed a little high compared to my cross country and found myself having to search for it, and the digital screen was not visible when the sun hit it. That aside, I really liked the bike. Maybe when the cross country is paid off I will get a chieftan to go along with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
18595 said:
This is what 'Choice' is all about.  With all due respect the Vision doesn't compare with the Chieftain, nor does the Cross Country or stock Harleys, power wise.  I've test ridden the Vision and Cross Country many times, including just before my Chieftain test ride at Sturgis.  The Victory's aren't for me and it's not the look that bugs me.  It's the ackward feel and noisy motors.  I don't like the ergonomics.  Power wise?  The Chieftain has much more and much quicker power throughout the range, and at any point in the range.  Try to accelerate a Harley or Victory at 60 mph in 6th gear and it struggles.  You have to drop to 5th if you need the power NOW.  On the Chieftain?  Twist your right hand and hold on!  :)  Hey, we all have different 'feels', desires, etc.  Choice is a cool thing!  :)
I don't agree with you on the statement about passing in sixth gear on a Victory. on my Crossroads when I'm in sixth gear doing 60, 70 or 80 I NEVER have to downshift to pass. I Have all kinds of throttle and power left to pass.Earlier today I was commuting to work 50 miles all highway and several times cruising at 70 or 80 in sixth gear I simply grabbed more throttle and kicked it up to 90 and even 105 a few times to pass cars.

Did I need to pass cars doing 105 MPH??? No, but my buddy was behind me on his Road King so I was messing with him a littleLOL.

My motor is stock besides slip on muffles, Lloydz timing gear and air filter, but even before this mods I never had to downshift to pass.

I don't think the Victory is awkward at all. The thing rides like its on rails. the bike just loves the twisties and is nothing but rock solid on the highway at any speed. the sound of the motor doesn't bother me really but I imagine it would bother a person used to a pushrod motor.

the Chieftain seems to me to be a Victory in Indians clothing with a pushrod motor for the more potato sound to appeal to Harley riders which is cool. the tighter ergonomics would probably be ok with me since I'm not a big guy. If it handles as good as my Vic, I
would definately add one to the stable.

ride safe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rode 2 Chieftains, a Cross Country Tour, a Boardwalk, and 4 Harleys at Sturgis. This along with my 650 mile ride to Sturgis on my Heritage Classic Softail. I also went to Lincoln, NE last week for their demo event to try the Chieftain 2-up in 96 degree heat. I love the 111 although the throttle spring seems much stronger than any of the bikes listed in this post to me. The transmission is also much 'slicker' than both the Victory's and my Harley's, in my opinion. I an 6'1' with a 34' inseam and appreciate the extra legroom that the Victory's provide. I feel a little more cramped on the Indian, but highway pegs would help. The CCTour, the Vision, and the Chieftain all handle and ride much better than my Heritage (or any of the Harley's) - again, my opinion. I want to love one of these bikes, but cannot get past the 'like' stage. Heritage and my Buell will be for sale - I just don't know what to replace it with yet. By the way - I hated the Boardwalk. If I won one, I'd sell it to get a Heritage if thats the type of bike I wanted... Your Mileage May Vary. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a good review from Bikes blues and BBQ in Fayettville Ark.

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/3AX73dVP6kc?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
18680 said:
Here's a good review from Bikes blues and BBQ in Fayettville Ark. http://youtu.be/3AX73dVP6kc
I am soooooo jealous. You guys have rows and rows of these gorgeous bikes to admire and test-ride right now.

We don't have one in the whole of the UK. Like the Harleys, we pay half as much again for American bikes in the UK. After taxes a Chief will cost us over $27,000 and a Chieftan will cost over $33,000.

We also pay about &pound;7 a gallon for fuel, which is over $10 a gallon in USD. You guys don't know how lucky you are.

I can't wait for next Summer, when I'll eventually get my 'Chief' on the Scottish roads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a red Vintage on order and my wife and I got a chance to ride one today at
bikes,blues, and BBQ.

The first thing I noticeed is the engine is smooth as butter. Kudos to the engineers
At Polaris, they got it right. For a big v-twin I expected a lot of thump, but not so here.
The power is very linear with constant torque throughout the power band. The exhaust
Note is pleasant but doesn't have the potato-potato of a Harley. The transmission is smooth
With a firm 'thunk' In first and second which is characteristic of every big twin I've ridden.
I'm six foot tall and The seating is good. I instantly felt at home on the bike. If you are use
To forward controls it might feel a little close, but I felt more comfortable than on an Ultra Classic
I had ridden earlier.

As others have mentioned, the drive by wire throttle takes some getting use to.
There is the feeling your hand isn't directly connected to the engine. Its not a bad thing,
It's just different.

The windshield on the bike I rode was the perfect height.
I could look over it if needed, or through it and not feel uncomfortable. Wind management was
Excellent and I didn't feel any unnecessary buffeting even at highway speeds.
The bike is incredibly stable at ANY speed and I got the feeling I could ride all day!

I've read some reviews where people mentioned feeling a little too much heat off the rear cylinder,
But I didn't notice it, and in fact I thought just the opposite. I felt the engine ran incredibly cool
For the behemoth it is.

I would like to thank the folks at Polaris for bringing back the brand and I'm looking forward to picking mine up
and the thousand mile Road trip back home!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Logged almost 800 km in the last 3 days while helping out at the cycleworks Edmonton demo event this weekend. Will do a full write-up when I get to a computer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a review that I posted on another forum on Aug. 18 The next evening I went and rode the Chief Vintage and was as equally unimpressed.

<div class='smallfont'>Indian Chieftain Demo Ride</div>
<hr style='color: #000000; background-color: #000000;' size='1' />
<div id='post_message_527227' class='nolinks'>Last evening a friend and I rode to St. Paul Indian and did the demo ride of the new Chieftain. First let me say that I think the styling, design and proportions of this new bike are perfect. Yes, there are a few things that I may have done differently but there is never going to be a bike or anything made for that matter that will satisfy everyone. I went into this ride already in love with this bike so take that into consideration when reading my review.

The demo was set up with 12 motorcycles with a ride captain and a sweep. There were a lot of people waiting to demo these bikes so there was not ANY time to walk around the bikes and kick the tires, big mistake on Indian's part if you ask me. They should have had at least one of each model set aside so a thorough inspection for fit and finish could be made.
Strike One.

The very first thing I noticed after swinging my leg over the seat was the lack of leg room, definitely not for us big guys. The ergonomics of this bike are very similar to an H.D. Electra Glide. The fat handlebars with internal wiring are nice and the layout of the controls is intuitive. The sound system controls are back lighted and the grips are nice. The 'Integrated Digital Multi Function Display' as Indian calls it, is in red and virtually impossible to read.
Strike Two.

Time to fire up the motor. Push the start button and the 111 Thunder Stroke rumbles to life. The stock exhaust sounds great and is something I think I could live with. Drop her into gear and we are off. Wow, the torque of this motor is instantly apparent as I shift into second and then into third. The transmission shifts like butter with virtually no noise. Not only is this a cool looking power plant but it has balls! As we cruise down the freeway frontage road I play with the power windshield, nice but kind of unnecessary it you ask me. Wind buffeting was minimal even without lower fairings. The radio was o.k. but certainly could be improved upon with rear speakers. The ABS brakes work great and stopping is one of this bikes strong suits. At 65 mph there is a constant vibration in the floorboards that is rather annoying.

After riding for a few minutes it becomes glaringly apparent that this motorcycle feels a lot like riding a Harley, in other words, it feels like a bike that is well worn but had only 1,006 miles on her.
Strike Three.

After dismounting and talking to some of the other demo riders my observations were echoed by many. The friend that I went there with was prepared to put money down and wait for a bike, but after the demo he has changed his mind. Some of the shorter riders said the power windshield did not go down far enough.

In conclusion, as much as I wanted to like this bike I was extremely disappointed by my demo ride. I will not be switching brands any time soon. My Victory is a superior bike for less money, period.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the check engine light came on half way thru my demo ride.</div>

1 - 20 of 63 Posts