Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been discussed here already, I'm pretty new to the site. I purchased a used 2017 Chieftain that has the fake chrome trim on the fenders. Someone, very familiar with the bike, pointed out that the trim is cracking and that there was a service bulletin that states it will be replaced, free of charge, at the dealer. (Pictures attached). I just had them replaced and my dealer told me that I made it in the nick of time because the repair will no longer be free after March 14th..... so, if anyone else in this tribe needs the service done, don't wait!
20191130_122913.jpg
20191130_122859.jpg

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Probably because, if you go on Cheap Cycle Parts and look up the part #, it shows as being changed. Therefore, it stands to reason that the "new" part does not have the same issue.

Reactions: FutureE9

·
Bronze member
1,962 Posts
This flexible chrome trim can be bought at an auto parts store...seems like it was about $20 a roll. So, even if out of warranty, the fix is relatively inexpensive.
Can also found on Amazon for the cheap. Big time ripoff what Indian wants for chrome plated plastic.

Reactions: FutureE9

·
Rider
448 Posts
I don't see how they can just stop on a certain date. If a bike is still under warranty and needs the chrome replaced, they should have to replace it at no cost to the customer. I have two bikes that need it replaced and three that need the gear shift indicator sensor recall replaced.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I don't see how they can just stop on a certain date. If a bike is still under warranty and needs the chrome replaced, they should have to replace it at no cost to the customer. I have two bikes that need it replaced and three that need the gear shift indicator sensor recall replaced.
Indian was still covering the cost of replacement for bikes out of warranty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
2017 roadmaster, chrome strips replaced multiple times and just kept happening (I think I even posted pictures here somewhere)

2019 roadmaster, no issues that I've seen so far...but will check tonight...thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
944 Posts
trim is cracking and that there was a service bulletin that states it will be replaced, free of charge, at the dealer.
Do you know the bulletin number, supply a link? Or can you call the dealer to get the information? I called the dealer and they have not heard of this.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Do you know the bulletin number, supply a link? Or can you call the dealer to get the information? I called the dealer and they have not heard of this.

The fact that your dealer couldn't look up the info or call corporate to find out is concerning. It's very easy for them to look up.

Service bulletins and cosmetic warranties (I believe also) have expiration dates. If you do not get it taken care of in the time frame, you're out of luck.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
2017 roadmaster, chrome strips replaced multiple times and just kept happening (I think I even posted pictures here somewhere)

2019 roadmaster, no issues that I've seen so far...but will check tonight...thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That’s why I bought a roll of the chrome stripping and did it myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The person that told me about it was a service technician from Indian, Daytona Florida. On my receipt it says "ISA-19-01A" B,C,D AND E...

·
Rider
944 Posts
The fact that your dealer couldn't look up the info or call corporate to find out is concerning. It's very easy for them to look up.
I looked up bulletins myself on Polaris' site and found two for my bike but not the Chrome strips.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a service advisory does anyone know where to look these up I have been unable to locate them.

I guess there might be one for the right side heat anyone heard of that one?
I never heard of 1 for heat. The answer is the Capt Itch crotch cooler.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Forgive me if this has been discussed here already, I'm pretty new to the site. I purchased a used 2017 Chieftain that has the fake chrome trim on the fenders. Someone, very familiar with the bike, pointed out that the trim is cracking and that there was a service bulletin that states it will be replaced, free of charge, at the dealer. (Pictures attached). I just had them replaced and my dealer told me that I made it in the nick of time because the repair will no longer be free after March 14th..... so, if anyone else in this tribe needs the service done, don't wait! View attachment 577696 View attachment 577697 View attachment 577698 View attachment 577699 View attachment 577696 View attachment 577697
They replaced them on my 2018 Chieftain Limited free of charge last summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts