Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a new Sena SMH10 and am having great difficulties making it work with my Motorola Droid Turbo which uses "Moto Voice". Things seem to work fine if I'm not moving, but once I'm going, Moto Voice fails to respond at all. Yet if I take an incoming call, it works great and people on the other end don't even hear any road noise. This leads me to believe the failure to respond to voice commands is not due to road noise. Also, incoming text messages are announced, but when I say "Listen"... again no response. (Waze GPS directions come through fine.) Have people dealt with this scenario?

So it's an old phone now (4+ years) and I'm thinking of upgrading to Samsung Galaxy S9, which comes with Bixby voice assistant. But I don't want to spend $$$ and be stuck in the same boat as I am now with the Droid.

Have people out there had good/bad/ugly experience with the Sena SMH10 running with the Samsung Galaxy S9?

BTW: this is all with Verizon Wireless.

Thank a bunch.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The SMH10 is a pretty old unit. Mine wasn't capable of voice activation when I had it. I'd be surprised if it had been capable of upgrading to it with an update.

I know Cardo's paktalk units can do voice activation though.

Looking at the manual, I'd say it still can't. Answering calls, bluetooth, etc... all good.

Getting Bixby, Google, or Siri to respond? No. The problem is the SMH10. You may have to upgrade your phone too. Most companies set their voice activation up to work with either Siri or Google.

The Galaxy S8, I know can use Google's voice activation instead of Bixby and would work with a Cardo paktalk unit.

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roadkill. I actually tried the PackTalk1 and liked its design... small and sleek. But it was erratic in responding to voice commands... more so than the Sena... and had to return it. The Packtalk1 would frequently get into an "unresponsive" state and not respond. I upgraded (more $$$) to the SMH10 (I can't see spending $200+ for their more recent units) in hopes that the most recommended brand might perform better. I just think there are too many variables to get it right, what with BT unit, phone, voice command app, etc. I just installed Google Assistant on my Droid and will be playing with that (instead of Moto Voice). Sadly, I think its just a crap shoot, but wanted to hear if other people are having better success than me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a Galaxy S7 and a Sena SMH10R and I have the same problem with voice. If I am still, it handles Voice Recognition well, but if I am moving it does not work at all. Making phone calls people have mentioned that the had no idea I was on a 80 mph motorcycle... so I am interested in what you learn

·
Registered
37 Posts
The phone button on the back of the unit should activate the voice commands. I used the Sena SMH10 with a Samsung note 5 and now a note 8 without any issues. Push the phone button on the unit then say your voice commands as usual.

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Marcus. Yes... I use the button on the Sena SMH10 to activate voice commands. As I say: speech recognition works standing still, but not when in motion. What speech app do you use on your Samsungs: S-Voice or Bixby? I just caved on preserving my anonymity and installed the pervasive Google Assistant on phone (which seems to want to touch everything). It does seem to have a better natural language processing, but I have not tried it out yet on the road. I think the Motorola Moto Voice is a POS, but I have to see if Google Assistant is any better. I'll let you all know...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Marcus. Yes... I use the button on the Sena SMH10 to activate voice commands. As I say: speech recognition works standing still, but not when in motion. What speech app do you use on your Samsungs: S-Voice or Bixby? I just caved on preserving my anonymity and installed the pervasive Google Assistant on phone (which seems to want to touch everything). It does seem to have a better natural language processing, but I have not tried it out yet on the road. I think the Motorola Moto Voice is a POS, but I have to see if Google Assistant is any better. I'll let you all know...

I am a major fan of everything google has to offer. Once you get it figured out, It is near flawless in my opinion. That being said, I use google assistant for the speech app. I tried bixby for a bit after getting the phone but was not impressed.

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Indeed. And Google is a major fan of having everything you have to offer too. Have you ever looked into the incredible amount of personal data they are assimilating on you? Its really scary... and there is really no need for it, other than for them to make money off you on directed advertising. Don't you object to google tracking each and every Google search you do and each and every email you send/receive, etc., etc., etc. But this is far off-topic and I apologize for ranting. (My wife calls me Andy).

Also: thanks for the info on Bixby. I hope I can make Google Assistant work (I should be able to try today).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Indeed. And Google is a major fan of having everything you have to offer too. Have you ever looked into the incredible amount of personal data they are assimilating on you? Its really scary... and there is really no need for it, other than for them to make money off you on directed advertising. Don't you object to google tracking each and every Google search you do and each and every email you send/receive, etc., etc., etc. But this is far off-topic and I apologize for ranting. (My wife calls me Andy).

Also: thanks for the info on Bixby. I hope I can make Google Assistant work (I should be able to try today).

It actually does not bother me. I have nothing to hide. Being able to pull up google maps and see everywhere I have been has been very useful to me. I also enjoy that it learns the places I frequent. It helps show results more suited to me when I am searching for restaurants, attractions, etc.. when traveling.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It bugs the hell out of me. When I turn off the tracking I expect it to be turned off. My activities are my own. If Google wants to sell what I do, they can give me a cut of it. Then there's this whole censorship and China collaboration crap. Really annoying, I spend a couple grand getting off the Apple ship to find the Google ship full of holes and being run by the Chinese PLO. They went from "do no evil" to "Satan is an amateur."

Now I have to spend another couple grand to get back on Apple.

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It bugs the hell out of me. When I turn off the tracking I expect it to be turned off. My activities are my own. If Google wants to sell what I do, they can give me a cut of it. Then there's this whole censorship and China collaboration crap. Really annoying, I spend a couple grand getting off the Apple ship to find the Google ship full of holes and being run by the Chinese PLO. They went from "do no evil" to "Satan is an amateur."

Now I have to spend another couple grand to get back on Apple.
I'm with you, creepy Gollum guy! Its not "what am I hiding...", its "what they don't know cant hurt you!". Not to mention the hackers stealing your confidential and personal information. Sons of B*****s!!!

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and by the way... I was able to road-test the SMH10 with Google Assistant (GA) running on my Motorola Droid Turbo. GA (after having to drop my drawers on permissions) at least was able to recognize that I was speaking... and it even sometimes recognized what I was saying. This is better then "Moto Voice" which did not recognize anything. But still it pretty much sucks because about 80% of the time it just bounces me to an internet search for "mobile" when I say "call so-and-so on mobile"; totally useless while riding!!! (GIRRRR!!!) IMHO, this s**t is basically not ready for prime time. Does anybody concur? Maybe I need to upgrade phone to S9?

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I use a full-face HJC RPHA-10 (non-modular) with face shield down and sealed. I currently also am using the chin curtain to help with the cold air. Its pretty quiet in there and as I say, people on the other end of phone calls don't know I'm riding when I take incoming calls.. Honestly, I think its the 2014 Droid Turbo... I suspect it might not have the horsepower to keep up with today's speech recognizing software demands. Which brings up another point: some voice assistants run their software on the local host (the phone itself), and some run it on a remote host over the internet. In the remote case, it matters what kind of connection you have. In the local case, it matters what the software is and the processing HP of the phone. I really don't know who does what because its really hard to dig that out from what I read, but I think a newer phone might make things somewhat better. Anybody have info on local/remote hosting for the various assistants?

·
Registered
756 Posts
They all run home to the servers. It depends on what you've asked it to do and settings you have enabled. Typically, they all run off to the servers to get the latest information if there's a connection available, otherwise it serves up what it last updated with. You can download a local offline map for Google and it'll work fine offline until you run out of the area. Other packages, like Here! let's you download the whole continent and will work continuously online or offline regardless. Haven't played with it yet enough to see if it responds to voice yet or not.

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... its getting close to winter storage time, so maybe I'll wait on the phone upgrade to see what's available come springtime. I hate it when things don't work as-advertised, though I guess I can't complain... who'll listen?

Thanks to all for your insights and I'll tag onto this thread if I find out anything next year.

·
Rider
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Galaxy S7 and a Sena SMH10R and I have the same problem with voice. If I am still, it handles Voice Recognition well, but if I am moving it does not work at all. Making phone calls people have mentioned that the had no idea I was on a 80 mph motorcycle... so I am interested in what you learn
Hello @GaD57. I have not learned anything further on this end... How about you?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I haven't pursued it any more...I'm thinking that I should look into Google Assistant, but we're in the throwes of winter here, so my attention is elsewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts