Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rider
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ‘19 Chieftain Dark Horse and interested in upgrading my stock setup. I was big into car stereo 20 years ago but I have no idea what sounds good these days in motorcycles vs. cars but my Powerplus speakers aren’t cutting it. I’m looking for clarity and more power so that I can actually hear the songs at 70mph.

I have a set of OEM speaker lids but have not purchased any other parts yet. So I know I’ll need a pair of 6.5” coax for the bag lids but since I live in Florida they need to be marine grade and waterproof. But what about the dash speakers? I haven’t found a company that makes 5.25” marine grade speakers. Or can I get away with something else since they sit back a little bit in the fairing?

I’ve always been a fan of JL Audio ever since I toured their factory 20 years ago but I also heard Hertz makes good products. Also open to suggestions other than these. Money isn’t a limiting factor but I don’t need the best of the best.

Sorry for the long read, just looking for advice on how to get better sound out of OEM sized speakers without losing bag space or having to do major wiring. Thanks!

·
Rider
1,177 Posts
Same here.
3 large amps in the trunk w subs same time frame.
Dont know how easy it will be to do with after market stuff.
Didnt want the hassle of modifications to work it out.
This is why I went Indian
Expensive yes, hopefully worth it.
420. Alone for grills but if you want that nice finished look you gots ta pay.
I do know im not happy with the powerband update in the fairing either like you.
Its better than stock but still sounds like a boom box to me. The mids seem way over emphasized like a boom box.
We are hoping the plus upgrade in the saddles fills it in more otherwise its a ton of money down a rat hole.
Not too much out there about this type of thing let alone not too many on the complete indian setup installed either
Hope you can find success with your setup and be rewarded with good sound.
Keep us posted here will ya.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am in the process of stereo upgrades on my 18 chieftain. here is what I have done so far. im not into the amp in the saddle bag so I was wanting to keep everything under the fairing. I removed the factory amp in the fairing did a lot of research and Stinger makes a 700.4 amp that will fit in its place. I used a piece of 1/4 aluminum and made a plate for the amp to bolt too. next time I would use 1/8" but oh well the amp will be upside down but no big deal. I found a male plug that would plug into the plug coming from the stereo s I did not have to cut any factory wires. I then ran the wires to a DSR1 for speakers, power ground and signal wire. I then ran 2 power cables from the battery to the amp and speaker wires for saddle bag lids. I ran new wires for front speakers once again I left all factory wires in place incase I wanted to put it back stock. I put in hertz 5.25 speakers in the fairing. and I am waiting on jl 8.8 marine speakers for the lids as well as my lids. I have never been happy with the sound out of 6.5 speakers so I hoping this will give me the sound that I want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of stereo upgrades on my 18 chieftain. here is what I have done so far. im not into the amp in the saddle bag so I was wanting to keep everything under the fairing. I removed the factory amp in the fairing did a lot of research and Stinger makes a 700.4 amp that will fit in its place. I used a piece of 1/4 aluminum and made a plate for the amp to bolt too. next time I would use 1/8" but oh well the amp will be upside down but no big deal. I found a male plug that would plug into the plug coming from the stereo s I did not have to cut any factory wires. I then ran the wires to a DSR1 for speakers, power ground and signal wire. I then ran 2 power cables from the battery to the amp and speaker wires for saddle bag lids. I ran new wires for front speakers once again I left all factory wires in place incase I wanted to put it back stock. I put in hertz 5.25 speakers in the fairing. and I am waiting on jl 8.8 marine speakers for the lids as well as my lids. I have never been happy with the sound out of 6.5 speakers so I hoping this will give me the sound that I want.
Hey bud if you don’t mind me asking how do those hertz speakers sound. I have that same amp with Rockford speakers. I’m thinking of going to the hertz and the Klock Werks dynamite fairing kit. I’ve heard the dynamite makes a difference in the chieftain

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any issues with the ride command throwing a code?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an 18 Chieftain and I'd love to upgrade mine but seems as though its not an easy job. Did you have the stock stereo on yours when you started or did you already have the indian upgrades? I'm highly disappointed it appears I can't get the power band upgrade from Indian any longer only for 19 and up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have an 18 Chieftain and I'd love to upgrade mine but seems as though its not an easy job. Did you have the stock stereo on yours when you started or did you already have the indian upgrades? I'm highly disappointed it appears I can't get the power band upgrade from Indian any longer only for 19 and up.
mine was the stock system that i upgraded yo all aftermarket
Spend 2k then and only hear up to 35mph. The helmet version has a volume control and it works with a phone, gps, intercom, FM radio, etc.
well mine can be heard at 100 mph without a problem

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spend 2k then and only hear up to 35mph. The helmet version has a volume control and it works with a phone, gps, intercom, FM radio, etc.
I can hear my stock stereo fine over 35mph thats not my point. Just because sometimes something might work for you doesn't mean it will for someone else. If I wanted a bike with no stereo and just use a helmet with speakers I would have just done that. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts