Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Get one of the alarm systems that calls your phone when it goes off.
That suggested alarm would rouse me out of a woody dream stage5 R.E.M. sleep. I catch a suicidal man attempting to steal my Cochise ‘15RM Stage UNO, his mother will vomit when she sees what’s left. I’m a simple man with caveman values.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it arms the horn will sound. If the horn doesn't sound after you push the arm button twice, you got a problem the dealer needs to be aware of. But make sure you actually push that button twice. And not too fast either. Just push and release and push and release. But you can't be too slow pushing the second time either. Yes, it's a little tricky on timing.
Maybe you can help me out. I hit the button twice to set alarm and the horn sounds, I then took the fob to a safe distance from the bike and came back. I then got on the bike and started moving it around and nothing happened. I actually was on the phone with a guy at the dealer and he had no idea, didn't even know about the alarm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My alarm works great on my 16RM , dealer did not brief me on it. I found out I have it through this forum . I found the addendum on line which explains how it works :)

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
Maybe you can help me out. I hit the button twice to set alarm and the horn sounds, I then took the fob to a safe distance from the bike and came back. I then got on the bike and started moving it around and nothing happened. I actually was on the phone with a guy at the dealer and he had no idea, didn't even know about the alarm.
Were you sitting on the bike and/or moved the bike immediately after setting the alarm while the fob was in range? If you move the bike and/or start it with the fob in range, the alarm will be disabled. You should only set the alarm while standing next to the bike and not move it after the alarm is set. When you return, you can get on the bike and start it as normal without any need to disarm it (if you have the fob).

Edit: After reading Tigrzeye's response below, another possibility would be the 20 second delay ... if Juice moved the bike and then retrieved the fob and brought it in range within the 20 seconds, the alarm would be disarmed without sounding.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Were you sitting on the bike and/or moved the bike immediately after setting the alarm while the fob was in range? If you move the bike and/or start it with the fob in range, the alarm will be disabled. You should only set the alarm while standing next to the bike and not move it after the alarm is set. When you return, you can get on the bike and start it as normal without any need to disarm it (if you have the fob).
Interesting. Mine will go off if I slam the trunk after arming the alarm. Never tried just starting the bike but I can see where it might let you without the alarm going off. You also have to get the fob some distance away or it will still recognize it. But I've had the fob with me after arming and accidentally slammed the trunk and the alarm went off. Scarred the crap out of me because I also thought if the fob was in range it wouldn't go off. So honestly not sure which way is right.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dealer told me about the alarm during bike delivery walk around. I just looked in the owners manual (pdf version) and didn't see anything. Strange! But there is a small reference in the Service Manual about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Dealer told me about the alarm during bike delivery walk around. I just looked in the owners manual (pdf version) and didn't see anything. Strange! But there is a small reference in the Service Manual about it.
My owners manual(hardcopy) has no mention of it. But my dealer told me about it and said the manual didn't cover it. Even gave me a demonstration of the alarm going off and turning it off. The turn off part was a fail the first time as they were too far away. We all laughed. But they got it the second time. I certainly would not want it to go off now that I've changed the horn to one of those loud ones. It's bad enough just arming it. I always leave my earplugs in until I have it armed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Two presses of the lock button on the FOB, and the horn will start blowing if someone tries to move the bike. Apparently it is a big secret.
I found out about that the hard way I used the key fob to lock up my bags after filling them while on a trailer, then I pulled away. I started hearing a horn going off and happened to glance in the rearview mirror and saw the headlight flashing also. After stopping it took me a few seconds of playing with the fob and then with the power button and so on the get it to stop, next time I'm up at my dealer I got to find out how it works and how exactly to stop it. As all I did was kept pushing buttons till it finely stopped, so I'm not exactly sure how I stopped it.
2019 Chieftain Classic Icon Green and Cream.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Since the Roadmaster Classic doesn't have locking hard bags, it appears to be sold with the basic "no button" fob. However, you can still use the alarm feature without paying for a 2-button fob. If you firmly squeeze the fob approximately 1/2" below the small LED indicator (look at the end opposite the keychain), you will see the LED light. What you are doing is pressing the "lock" switch on the circuit board inside the fob. If you do this twice while in range of the bike, you will hear the bike honk - indicating the alarm is armed.

If the bike is moved or buttons pushed when the fob is out of range, the alarm will sound (horn honks and light flashes). To disarm the alarm, you can start the bike as normal with the fob in range or use your PIN code if the fob is not available.

Some people have drilled a small hole in the fob case above the switch and glued a little rubber button to make it easier to push; or you can buy the two-button fob and have the dealer pair it with the bike (your original fob will still work so you will have two fobs).
I own a Classic and the bags do lock and there definitely is a alarm as I found out the hard way.

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
You are thinking Vintage not classic. Vintage has leather bags, Classic has hard bags.
You are correct that the Vintage has leather bags ... but I suggest you Google "Indian Roadmaster Classic" ... you'll see that they released a leather bag version of the Roadmaster.

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
I own a Classic and the bags do lock and there definitely is a alarm as I found out the hard way.
You revised your post, so I'll give you another answer. In post #71 you say that you have a 2019 Indian Chieftain Classic. However, my response was to the person who had a 2017 Indian ROADMASTER Classic. You'll find that this model had leather bags/trunk ... and no locks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, non of the bikes with leather bags have locks. I preferer the looks of the leather bag Vintage but want the locks. I thought I was going to be able to buy chieftain classic in 2017 and I it was a hard bagger the Chieftain vintage was leather. Vintage was in the color I wanted, if I remember but had leather bags which I did not.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts