Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Rider
743 Posts
Since the Roadmaster Classic doesn't have locking hard bags, it appears to be sold with the basic "no button" fob. However, you can still use the alarm feature without paying for a 2-button fob. If you firmly squeeze the fob approximately 1/2" below the small LED indicator (look at the end opposite the keychain), you will see the LED light. What you are doing is pressing the "lock" switch on the circuit board inside the fob. If you do this twice while in range of the bike, you will hear the bike honk - indicating the alarm is armed.

If the bike is moved or buttons pushed when the fob is out of range, the alarm will sound (horn honks and light flashes). To disarm the alarm, you can start the bike as normal with the fob in range or use your PIN code if the fob is not available.

Some people have drilled a small hole in the fob case above the switch and glued a little rubber button to make it easier to push; or you can buy the two-button fob and have the dealer pair it with the bike (your original fob will still work so you will have two fobs).
I think it's better to install a button. I pressed the crap out of mine and was using the alarm. The battery holder solder came off the board. They replaced it under warranty and thankfully there were no plain ones in stock. They replaced it with a 2 button. The 2 button if you buy it, is only about 105.00 I think.

Oh yes, I forgot about just getting the back of the case for 13.00. Better

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice feature that has been there since the 2105 Roadmasters....but the full horn blast on activation is way too damn loud. Needs to be a 1/4 honk or just a light flash to verify it is set. Settting the alarm as is in a motel parking lot late at night does not make one popular! Was hoping this would have been addressed with a reflash by now.
Has anyone found a way to set the alarm in a more quiet manner? Seems like every now and again I get a shorter than normal horn blast when I set the alarm. Can't make it happen consistently though. Would love to get the microblast all the time or even better just a flash of lights. Having a loud horn is great....just not at midnight in an "old school" motel parking lot when all you want to do is quietly set your alarm, not wake the dead .

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
Got a 2 button case from my dealer yesterday ($12). Lock button will set the alarm on my 2014 Vintage. Unlock button does nothing, just hit power button on console to disarm. Yes, very loud when you shake bike. Going to do it again today and see if it times out or not - Dan

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Has anyone found a way to set the alarm in a more quiet manner? Seems like every now and again I get a shorter than normal horn blast when I set the alarm. Can't make it happen consistently though. Would love to get the microblast all the time or even better just a flash of lights. Having a loud horn is great....just not at midnight in an "old school" motel parking lot when all you want to do is quietly set your alarm, not wake the dead .
I wouldn't think that short of a reprogram of the ECU there is any way to modify it. That's far beyond my capabilities. I agree, it would be nice if it weren't quite so loud.

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
Yep, set alarm and shook bike to set it off. It timed out in 65 seconds. Shook it again and it did the same thing. So coming back to a dead battery shouldn't be an issue - Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've got a 17 RM and the alarm used to work when I first had the bike. Since that time I had the first service and also replaced the factory flash with the improved Fuelmoto map. Could it be that flash with he PVCX blew away the alarm feature ?
I am going to get the dealer to look at it next time its in the shop for something. Its not worth my while to take it to the shop just for this, but I like to know why its not there anymore ????
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've got a 17 RM and the alarm used to work when I first had the bike. Since that time I had the first service and also replaced the factory flash with the improved Fuelmoto map. Could it be that flash with he PVCX blew away the alarm feature ?
I am going to get the dealer to look at it next time its in the shop for something. Its not worth my while to take it to the shop just for this, but I like to know why its not there anymore ????
Any ideas ?
No nothing to do with PVCX flash - the alarm feature is VCM bound

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to buy a two button fob for my 2016 Chief Vintage and the dealer then had to connect the bike to the Indian server to activate it apparently. They wqanted to charge €200 but eventually they did it for €90.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a pin or wire that goes live (12V) when the security system is activated?

I want to visually warn potential thieves that I have an active alarm on my Chieftain.

I have a slow-blinking 12V micro-LED indicator that I have installed in the dash of my 2014 Chieftain (the amperage/draw is so low, it would take months to drain the battery). here's what I plan to do to activate it:
1-My preference is to identify and use a 12v source that goes live when the security system is on.
2nd choice is to find a 12v source that goes live when the power is turned off.
3rd choice is to use a relay to turn the LED indicator of when the main power switch is on.
4-Last resort is to install a hidden, easy-to-reach micro-switch under the dash to manually turn my security system LED indicator on (so it acts like a fake car alarm indicator).

Any security system pin-outs or wiring knowledge would be very helpful. Or does anyone have a contact in Polaris that could and might be willing to share this info?

Other ideas and suggestions are welcome.

·
Rider
743 Posts
The mechanic at my dealer said it’s controlled by the computer. I would guess since it uses the gyro sensor to activate the alarm going off, there should be something powered to that. I don’t know if it’s called a gyro sensor, but whatever it’s called, I don’t know where it is. I think a switch to turn on when the bike is powered down would be easier. Maybe you could tap the hard bag lock wiring. I imagine they are powered since you can remotely unlock them. I think it’s under the seat. I’m just thinking and typing. Sorry if it’s no help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The mechanic at my dealer said it’s controlled by the computer. I would guess since it uses the gyro sensor to activate the alarm going off, there should be something powered to that. I don’t know if it’s called a gyro sensor, but whatever it’s called, I don’t know where it is. I think a switch to turn on when the bike is powered down would be easier. Maybe you could tap the hard bag lock wiring. I imagine they are powered since you can remotely unlock them. I think it’s under the seat. I’m just thinking and typing. Sorry if it’s no help.
Thank you. I am guessing the gyro is also used for several other functions including turn signal cancelling. I'm also guessing that the gyro is a tiny chip located in the ECM. When I get the time, I'll reach out to Polaris and see if I can get an answer.

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
Agree ... most microprocessors like those used in the ECU have an 3-axis accelerometer sensor built in. I would guess that the microprocessor senses any movement for the alarm rather than the tilt sensor which is a separate part used for tip-over shutoff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do I know if the bike has alarmed? Just asking because I have to leave the bike to the other side of the block, and I probably can’t hear the horn. If it turns out that the bike alarms every night, I might consider finding another place for it.. :eek: Hate to loose sight of my Springfield! :D

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
How do I know if the bike has alarmed? Just asking because I have to leave the bike to the other side of the block, and I probably can’t hear the horn. If it turns out that the bike alarms every night, I might consider finding another place for it.. :eek: Hate to loose sight of my Springfield! :D
If it arms the horn will sound. If the horn doesn't sound after you push the arm button twice, you got a problem the dealer needs to be aware of. But make sure you actually push that button twice. And not too fast either. Just push and release and push and release. But you can't be too slow pushing the second time either. Yes, it's a little tricky on timing.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Thinking more about my air horn statement.

I guess that when power is sent to the horn by the alarm, it will activate the compressor and keep the horn blasting as long as the horn is getting power.

I'm going to try and find a remote spot to test that theory out where I won't be waking the dead.
Alarm? In the old Western days a horse thief gets hanged on the legal theory that the horse’s owner may have to walk many horseless miles and may perish. These days, my ‘15 RM that transports a 6-pack of cold....ahh..water bottles...may be stolen??!
They should make a sissy-La-La sidesaddle seat to throw on when you leave the bike. What man would venture to steal that?‍♂

·
Banned
151 Posts
Alarm? In the old Western days a horse thief gets hanged on the legal theory that the horse’s owner may have to walk many horseless miles and may perish. These days, my ‘15 RM that transports a 6-pack of cold....ahh..water bottles...may be stolen??!
They should make a sissy-La-La sidesaddle seat to throw on when you leave the bike. What man would venture to steal that?‍♂
Steal my groceries? Why not. My girl? Maybe. Steal my bike? I am the one your mother warned you about.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Won't stop cops as shown in this training session.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mean how do I know if the alarm has gone off, if I'm not close to the bike to hear it? I want to know if some thugs are trying to take my bike while in sleep. ;)

41 - 60 of 75 Posts