Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, as yet, have not read anything regarding the 2017 RM security system that is activated by two pushes on the lock figure the key fob. I must say that this feature helps to instill some piece of mind when parked in a venerable area. I wonder why this valuable feature is not mentioned in the 2017 owners manual? Anyone have an explanation or guess? Just asking...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Never knew I had that. So what does that security system do, because you can't start and ride the bike without a fob anyway. Does the horn go off when people touch it or what ?
Anyway, thanks for that info I never got from my dealer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Two presses of the lock button on the FOB, and the horn will start blowing if someone tries to move the bike. Apparently it is a big secret.

·
Registered
399 Posts
One day I forgot my FOB in the garage, and I was trying to start the bike when the alarm was set. The horn started going off. Quite annoying to say the least... :mad:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well that feature goes back a ways. I believe you can have this alarm activated in the 2014's. As long as you had a 2 button fob. I just happen to here someone here mentioned it and had dealer check into it and it could.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it strange that the system was not addressed or explained in the owners manual. Anyway, I'll let the secret out of the bag and try and fill in the blank...
For those of you who have a 2017 RMs (can't speak to the years before) to activate the security system; press the lock feature twice and the horn should sound once. As long as the fob is not within the signal range, the horn will continuously sound and the light will flash should the bike be set upright, the saddle bags or trunk are attepted to be opened, or the bike started. Upon returning the fob to within signal range, you may disarm the security system by pressing the unlock figure on the fob. As I understand the system that's about all there is to it. If I've omitted any information or embellished anything please elaborate. Just saying...

·
Registered
147 Posts
If it is activated it works on the standard fob. My 2016 Dark Horse had it and it works.

Turn the fob over and press the back near the top. The small hole is actually an LED, it will flash when the alarm is armed and the horn will beep.

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
If you have 2 button fob, that doesn't mean that you have the alarm. Dealer has to activate.
I do not think it needs to be activated per say. It is part of a firmware upgrade from late 2015 I believe. I think it is the same firmware upgrade that also improve the readability of the text on the chieftain display. So if bike's firmware is up-to-date, the alarm should work.

·
Founding Member
392 Posts
Well that feature goes back a ways. I believe you can have this alarm activated in the 2014's. As long as you had a 2 button fob. I just happen to here someone here mentioned it and had dealer check into it and it could.
I had the alarm activated in my 2014 Classic. The original FOB had no buttons, the alarm FOB has two buttons. So you can add it to 2014 models.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The alarm feature was activated at the first service of my 2015 RM, as a flash upgrade, works fairly easily with two firm presses of the lock button on the fob. Was given an insert for manual advising how it was operated. Still ensure I operate steering lock whenever I leave bike unattended, but alarm feature, just adds a bit more piece of mind. IMHO I would have preferred a key operated ignition, rather than a push button start, not sure what great advantage the push button provides, you still need to have the fob, unless you use security code.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had this feature on my 2016, and it came on my 17 already also. It actually saved me once when someone swiped me in a parking lot while I was on line waiting to pay for something. Had I not heard the distinctive beeping and knew it was my bike going off in the parking lot some 300 feet from me, the dude who swiped my saddlebag while parking next to me me would've gotten away with ruining my bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does the Roadmaster Classic (2017) have the alarm feature?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice feature that has been there since the 2105 Roadmasters....but the full horn blast on activation is way too damn loud. Needs to be a 1/4 honk or just a light flash to verify it is set. Settting the alarm as is in a motel parking lot late at night does not make one popular! Was hoping this would have been addressed with a reflash by now.

·
Bronze member
2,157 Posts
I had this feature on my 2016, and it came on my 17 already also. It actually saved me once when someone swiped me in a parking lot while I was on line waiting to pay for something. Had I not heard the distinctive beeping and knew it was my bike going off in the parking lot some 300 feet from me, the dude who swiped my saddlebag while parking next to me me would've gotten away with ruining my bike.
So? he was trying to swipe it and you caught him? or he got it and got away?

WD./

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice feature that has been there since the 2105 Roadmasters....but the full horn blast on activation is way too damn loud. Needs to be a 1/4 honk or just a light flash to verify it is set. Settting the alarm as is in a motel parking lot late at night does not make one popular! Was hoping this would have been addressed with a reflash by now.
I don't see anything on my key FOB to press. No buttons, switches, etc. How do you arm or disarm the alarm?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't see anything on my key FOB to press. No buttons, switches, etc. How do you arm or disarm the alarm?
If you have the two button fob push the lock button twice. If you have the alarm your horn will beep one time. No beep then no alarm. If you have a roadmaster or chieftain your dealer can reprogram ecm to get it working for you. They may charge you anywhere from 0-$75 to do this.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts