Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I saw on one of the reviews that they thought there was going to be a fork lock. I was hoping that 2nd Scout would be back on the forum to let us all know what on our wish lists really materialized on the 1st run bikes. Guess we will have to see. Hoping to have mine this week. If so I will post what I find.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw on one of the reviews that they thought there was going to be a fork lock. I was hoping that 2nd Scout would be back on the forum to let us all know what on our wish lists really materialized on the 1st run bikes. Guess we will have to see. Hoping to have mine this week. If so I will post what I find.
Talked to a Scout engineer at the Long Beach Show who stated there will be NO fork lock. Also, the bike is built onto the engine meaning there is no traditional frame, leaving little if no room to run a chain around or through. There will have to be some creativity here if you want to go beyond a front disk lock/alarm.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A good insurance policy is your best bet.

I went to college in Chicago, and as a known rider, was approached by a guy that steals motorcycles for a living. He offered to get me any bike I wanted, by year/make/model, or even a specific bike for a $1000 fee. He explained to me how easy it is to steal any motorcycle, and that all security measures had a workaround. I did not take him up on it, but for his fee, plus the cost of new frame, and registration of a new bike "build", its all done. Point of the story; it does not matter what you do to protect your bike. Any security measures only deter low end criminals. I learned that day to ensure I always carry the appropriate insurance and then just don't worry about it.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Years ago at the Sturgis Rally, a van would pull up, 4 guys got out with pipes, stick one through the rear wheel and one under the neck or frame, lift the bike into the back of the van and go. A 30 second steal.

·
Founding member
1,068 Posts
Personally I'd rather loose a motorcycle than shoot some smuck, But you all can make your own choices about that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Personally I'd rather loose a motorcycle than shoot some smuck, But you all can make your own choices about that.
Good point considering a 50 or .357 would go through an might hit the bike.:oops:

Reactions: ScotD

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Note to self - switch to hollow-point.
Well thanks for all this sound advise, but I've decided to just remove the handle bar and rear wheel from the bike when I go shopping. The thought of strapping a large caliber weapon to my belt just does not appeal to me. Maybe a Crocodile Dundee sized knife would work. Thanks for the idea Iwoods.

·
Registered
733 Posts
According to a lot of the posts here its also to light, small and not a 1K mile a day bike, so no real bike thief would want it. Those who are not real bike thieves would probably not know any better, discover its smallness and lightness and just put it in their pocket and casually walk away.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A good insurance policy is your best bet.

I went to college in Chicago, and as a known rider, was approached by a guy that steals motorcycles for a living. He offered to get me any bike I wanted, by year/make/model, or even a specific bike for a $1000 fee. He explained to me how easy it is to steal any motorcycle, and that all security measures had a workaround. I did not take him up on it, but for his fee, plus the cost of new frame, and registration of a new bike "build", its all done. Point of the story; it does not matter what you do to protect your bike. Any security measures only deter low end criminals. I learned that day to ensure I always carry the appropriate insurance and then just don't worry about it.
That is true. But thankfully probably 90% of thieves are 'low end', so locks & security systems can be effective.

I'm wondering, because the Scout is built so compact, how much space is there under the seat (or other areas) for an alarm system to be installed?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If a thief wants your bike, he's going to steal it whether or not it is locked and/or has a security system. Not too many years ago, I talked to a New York cop that was investigating motorcycle thefts at Niagara Falls (one of the top places in the USA to lose a bike). He said they had observed motorcycles (including HD FLH's and Gold Wings with locks and security systems) being stolen in a matter of a few minutes. The thieves (organized with well equipped full sized vans) would back next to the bike and swing out an electric wench on a boom. They then strap a harness to the bike and lift it up and into the van. It can be a one or two man operation.

My Harley dealer doesn't even recommend the HD security system anymore when ordering a bike.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts