Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these grips, they are great but they tie on like a shoelace and despite pulling them as tight as I can they still rotate around the grip while I'm riding.

Does anybody have a good, non-permanent suggestion to secure them? Some sort of adhesive maybe? I'd rather not glue them in case I ever want to swap them out...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Well I think I found an answer, don't know how to delete this so... maybe this will help someone else.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I see you may have found an answer. So what did you do that wasn't working and what are you trying now?

Did you soak the leather in water first?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't soaked it in water because I didn't want to mess up the design... figured just tightening it as much as possible would do it but no, I'll try the water soak tomorrow though.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I hadn't soaked it in water because I didn't want to mess up the design... figured just tightening it as much as possible would do it but no, I'll try the water soak tomorrow though.
Water wont mess up the design. I mean guys have em on and ride in the rain. Right? You must soak leather before wrapping and it will tighten/shrink up just a tad but enough to stay put. I work with leather from time to time as a hobby. Wrapped my lever on my lever action. working on a butt-stock wrap right now, handle wraps for tools, etc...

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
What @Moto_Max said.... soak them in water 1st, then lace them to the OEM grips. Quick soaking will do, minute or so should be plenty. The leather will (or should) shrink a bit as it dries. I made my own and stitched them on while still damp and it's tough to make them move.

Machine

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is some very thin double sided tape... you can also use a dab of rubber cement or something tacky to keep them from coming loose.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Why put sticky icky residue on your nice products that will be pain to clean should you ever take them off or replace? It's completely unnecessary and will take more time than it would to just have done it right in the first place.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
Forget the double-sided tape. Soak your covers in warm water for a couple minutes, put them on, lace them tight, but not over-tight. The leather will shrink back to normal as it dries. They will not lose their grip once they dry. I've had the same set on my bike for almost 4 years, and they are still tight. I love them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts