Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed lowering links on my 2018 Chieftain Limited today and can't seem to recall where this second red positive battery lead connects to. One obviously connects the positive terminal but I have no idea where the other goes.

Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Does it go to the pigtail for the battery tender? If so, then it goes on the terminal. If it is not that one, they what else did you unhook? Perhaps it goes to the fuse box?

·
Bronze member
1,830 Posts
Installed lowering links on my 2018 Chieftain Limited today and can't seem to recall where this second red positive battery lead connects to. One obviously connects the positive terminal but I have no idea where the other goes.

Please help!
Starter solenoid. it can't be very far. follow the heavy cable from the starter, it will go to the other bolt connection on the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starter solenoid. it can't be very far. follow the heavy cable from the starter, it will go to the other bolt connection on the starter solenoid.
For some reason I'm thinking it goes to the back of the j-case fuse box , which is mounted to the back of the battery box.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it go to the pigtail for the battery tender? If so, then it goes on the terminal. If it is not that one, they what else did you unhook? Perhaps it goes to the fuse box?
For this model year the tender lead is pre-built into the fuse box

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tender leads are very small AWG wire, 10, 12, 14. That a heavy duty power cable. Fuse box supply or starter solenoid.
I can see the starter solenoid wire running down to the solenoid. This one must hook to the fuse box. Do you know if the J-Case has a positive lead running to it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry I am unable to tell you where it goes but I would just like to make a suggestion, as this is what I do because I often start something and get interrupted for day's at a time.

Take out your phone and take pictures before and during unhooking wires, cables, lines etc. It makes it so much easier to just pull up a picture and see exactly where they go and how they are routed.

I used to make paper diagrams and notes and then realized if the dog didn't eat my notes I could not read them anyway.

As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I am unable to tell you where it goes but I would just like to make a suggestion, as this is what I do because I often start something and get interrupted for day's at a time.

Take out your phone and take pictures before and during unhooking wires, cables, lines etc. It makes it so much easier to just pull up a picture and see exactly where they go and how they are routed.

I used to make paper diagrams and notes and then realized if the dog didn't eat my notes I could not read them anyway.

As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words!!
I learned my lesson with this one, phone will be snapping away constantly with the next project!

·
Silver member
4,936 Posts
I learned my lesson with this one, phone will be snapping away constantly with the next project!
I do the same, lots of photos. Man's gotta know his limitations.... and I have plenty of limitations. That, and Mr. Murphy seems to haunt me when I get involved in any project. Especially those that include wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts