Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago I was returning home on I-75 from the flat track race in Lexington, KY; riding my '09 Moto Guzzi Norge with wife on back. Struck a deer square; was probably going 70-75 mph at the time (don't know for sure, because I remember very little about the incident). Wife and I were both transported by ambulance to nearest hospital in Williamstown, KY. Wife ended up with a few abrasions and broken radius and ulna. I had a concussion, no broken bones, but lots of deep abrasions and bruises. Both of us were wearing full gear; our helmets were badly damaged, suggesting that our heads would have been had we not been wearing them. My armored jacket was shredded; was torn off my right arm which suffered most of the road rash.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we survived with relatively minor injuries, given the circumstances. However, I don't consider myself lucky to have had two deer encounters on a bike in 12 years; the first one was much worse. Some irony: after my first deer strike I swore off riding at night; this was the first time in 12 years that I rode at night, and I rode home on the interstate because I wanted to reduce the likelihood of hitting a deer.

My Moto Guzzi is history; don't know if I will replace it; still have a '17 scout and a BMW F800GT. Not sure how soon I will be able to ride again, though; still slightly disabled.

Jon

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Glad you are ok. I hit one at 40mph on the 23rd of May......I didn't hit him square in the middle and managed to keep the bike upright. I too am not liking riding after dark near as much, but again my last wreck was in 1985......so I'm thinking it was a numbers game...ride enough or drive enough and we will have incidents.

·
Registered
721 Posts
3 weeks ago I was returning home on I-75 from the flat track race in Lexington, KY; riding my '09 Moto Guzzi Norge with wife on back. Struck a deer square; was probably going 70-75 mph at the time (don't know for sure, because I remember very little about the incident). Wife and I were both transported by ambulance to nearest hospital in Williamstown, KY. Wife ended up with a few abrasions and broken radius and ulna. I had a concussion, no broken bones, but lots of deep abrasions and bruises. Both of us were wearing full gear; our helmets were badly damaged, suggesting that our heads would have been had we not been wearing them. My armored jacket was shredded; was torn off my right arm which suffered most of the road rash.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we survived with relatively minor injuries, given the circumstances. However, I don't consider myself lucky to have had two deer encounters on a bike in 12 years; the first one was much worse. Some irony: after my first deer strike I swore off riding at night; this was the first time in 12 years that I rode at night, and I rode home on the interstate because I wanted to reduce the likelihood of hitting a deer.

My Moto Guzzi is history; don't know if I will replace it; still have a '17 scout and a BMW F800GT. Not sure how soon I will be able to ride again, though; still slightly disabled.

Jon
Hope you and your wife make a full recovery - and find the courage to get back on a bike. I think trying to get your wife back on may be a tougher task than you might imagine. She wasn't in control - you were - that makes it tough for her - wish you both well

·
Founding Member
682 Posts
Love riding at night. Do it very rarely on account of all the deer. Thinking about heading down to Lima for the flat track races tomorrow, but to stay for the whole event means riding home 85-90 miles in the dark.......... Dan

·
Founding member
510 Posts
Glad you guys are okay. Hate to admit it but, I don't wear full gear in the summer months just a helmet (half), t-shirt, jeans, boots, and half gloves. Don't think I would've faired very well at all in your case. Hope you make a full recovery.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Ron White's take on deer:

I'm not a big fan of deer. They're basically big rats with antlers.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts

Jon
Damn good on you for ATGATT. You both are a testament to that. Heal soon; I would like to ride with you.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Glad you made it. I lost a friend a few years back from hitting one. He was in a coma for 2 weeks before he passed. I do not wear gear at all and do ride at night. I never claimed to be all that smart.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
So glad you both survived. You'll miss the Griso. When I came off the Scout last month, I happened to be wearing my knee and hip protectors under armoured jeans. I dread to think how much worse the damage would have been otherwise. May the coming days be all the more precious to you both, for having survived that ordeal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So glad you're able to write about it and hope for your speedy recovery.
Sep 2012 was in Tucson on Old Spanish Trail near Colossal Cave Rd. Helmet gloves and boots. Coyote appeared on the right side of my BMW K1200R in a bend, was going 40 MPH. Started fishtailing and rode it into the ground. 8 major roadrash spots that took a while to heal. Helmet did its job - could have been a lot worse.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Non riders ask me all the time if I am not scared to ride with all the crazy drivers out there. Every time I tell them the only thing that scares me on the road is animals. At least cars are predictable, they jump out at intersections, driveways, etc. Animals can jump out from anywhere. Scary. Also, nothing worse than wrecking with a passenger, especially when the passenger is your wife. Been there. Shitty feeling. Glad you guys are alive and relatively okay.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident and pain. Glad you are Alive. It'd be a shame not to replace the Moto Guzzi - such a Fun bike to ride. Positive thoughts headed your way.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Hope you and your wife make a full recovery - and find the courage to get back on a bike. I think trying to get your wife back on may be a tougher task than you might imagine. She wasn't in control - you were - that makes it tough for her - wish you both well
After we were in a bad wreck about three years ago my wife said initally she would ride again. She waited and dwelled on it and the fear got a hold of her. It stil hasn't happened and I don't think she'll ever ride again. I also don't push the issue. I don't even have a pillion seat on my bike anymore. I don't know that I ever want that responibility again to be honest. I have been down a few times in my life and didn't think much of it. Going down with a passenger and seeing them get hurt, especially your wife, gets in your head big time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ramcharger,

I hope my wife will want to ride again; motorcycles are what brought us together, and riding together has always been a central part of our relationship. My wife used to own and ride her own bikes. However, after my first deer strike 12 years ago (was nasty, nearly killed me), she quit riding altogether, wouldn't even ride pillion for two or three more years. Like you, I won't push the issue. Must admit, after every other MC accident (3 altogether) I was anxious to get back on the horse, but this time, I am feeling a twinge of reluctance. I hope my enthusiasm will return after the wounds heal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened to you and your wife. I hope you two have a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you for sharing this; this will serve as a reminder for me to be extra cautious when riding through the mountains. Sometimes I forget how dangerous those roads can be.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Certainly glad you're able to write about this and be on the road to healing..
I am a huge preacher of ATGATT and it saved me when I totaled my Tiger 1050 in 2008 with a deer hijacking in broad daylight...no rashes other than a banged shoulder and destroyed full face, armored jacket and pants..
All of it easy to replace..the doctor remarked that I looked great for a 60mph crash..he asked "why doesn't everyone wear armored gear"? Good question I said..I wear Motoport Kevlar jacket and pants or my Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants...gotta be ready..
I haven't had my wife on my bikes in years because I'm afraid of what would happen to her if that happened again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts