Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day, I have a '16 model Roadmaster which has the original quilted brown/tan seat. I have had no problems but monthly treat it to a good quality leather conditioner. I have seen the newer models with the more modern treatment of the leather seat which looks really artificial to my eyes. I can see that they would involve less maintenance from us owners but they loose the appeal of the originals. And one of the positives in the list I made when buying the bike was the distressed leather quilted tan seat. It just made the bike aesthetically which the new version doesn't.

Am I alone in this?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I have to admit that I like the black vinyl just fine. The thing I dislike about the authentic leather is upkeep and resiliency in the weather issues. I have seen quite a few of them aged and distressed and I did not like that look. I wish the faux leather vinyl stuff was a little better quality though, it also looks good until it gets some wear and tear, then not so much. I believe that rain and sun might be a problem no matter what seat material is in use. You just have to be willing to care for the machine to keep it looking good, maybe keep it out of the weather as much as you can.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
yup 1st day i got my rm was rain. 2nd day it was side as i was a clients house fixing their pc. got out wiped seat off an my ass still got wet. love the look but looks like i didn't make it to the nearest tree.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
yup 1st day i got my rm was rain. 2nd day it was side as i was a clients house fixing their pc. got out wiped seat off an my ass still got wet. love the look but looks like i didn't make it to the nearest tree.
The cow may have been out in the rain when they killed and striped it of its coat lol. You know what they say about a wet cow lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
High quality bikes should have a high quality seat made with high quality materials. I want a high quality leather and understand that it requires regular maintenance to keep it looking good. I just had my seat redone by Russell Cycle Products absolutely no comparison with the comfort and quality of material. Love my new seat.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have to admit that I like the black vinyl just fine. The thing I dislike about the authentic leather is upkeep and resiliency in the weather issues. I have seen quite a few of them aged and distressed and I did not like that look. I wish the faux leather vinyl stuff was a little better quality though, it also looks good until it gets some wear and tear, then not so much. I believe that rain and sun might be a problem no matter what seat material is in use. You just have to be willing to care for the machine to keep it looking good, maybe keep it out of the weather as much as you can.
I too don't like old worn out leather. Saw some hds just five years old saddle bags sunken and deformed . I have
Been keeping my old leather and my 15 rm tan coated with mink oil....they don't look aged and faded.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
High quality bikes should have a high quality seat made with high quality materials. I want a high quality leather and understand that it requires regular maintenance to keep it looking good. I just had my seat redone by Russell Cycle Products absolutely no comparison with the comfort and quality of material. Love my new seat.
Did Russell replace your entire upholstery? What kind of pricing for that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts