Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Springfield. I have been putting off replacing my seat, but an upcoming road trip has me planning. I will be putting about 500 miles in the saddle each day. I have been looking at the Ultimate Tallboy seat for some time, but now I noticed they have the extended reach Rogue seat available from Indian at a decent price. Can anyone tell me how comfortable the Rogue seat is and how it compares to the Ultimate?

Thanks

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Bronze member
2,324 Posts
Can't comment on the Rogue, but I really like the Ultimate for comfort. The Rogue looks better. But after 500 miles per day, I would rather pay for comfort over looks.

·
Bronze member
2,104 Posts
I have the Rogue seat on my 2019 CDH. It is the most comfortable stock seat Indian has IMO, but don't know how it compares to Ultimate. I still sent mine to Mean City for alterations (double decker foam) and have done two 100 mile days and it is very comfy. Won't be able to do a longer ride on it for a while. HTH

·
Rider
1,660 Posts
Having my local upholstery shop work on my stock seat while having spoke with Ultimate who is sending me a fabric sample for my tan leather. The more I time I spend on my stock seat the more I notice it’s pushing me forward. If I can’t get my stock seat modified I’m gonna give Ultimate a chance especially with a 14 day trial / return.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having my local upholstery shop work on my stock seat while having spoke with Ultimate who is sending me a fabric sample for my tan leather. The more I time I spend on my stock seat the more I notice it’s pushing me forward. If I can’t get my stock seat modified I’m gonna give Ultimate a chance especially with a 14 day trial / return.
I know they have black, which works for my Indian Red Springfield.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guess an order needs to be placed. Just need to square it away with my wife when she gets back from her parents’ on Tuesday.

·
Rider
815 Posts
Well now yall have me thinking. I plan on buying a 2019 Chieftain towards the end of this month. I was going to add the Genuine Leather Touring Heated seat and the rider's backrest to it. The total cost of that is $1340.00 and if I can negotiate a 15% discount it comes to $1139.00. I went to Ultimate's website and a 2 piece Chieftain Seat with studs and heat comes to $1110.00 shipped to the front door. Decisions Decisions??

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
I bought a Corbin and IMO, you couldn't do better. The quality and fit is amazing. It also sets you back further in the seat. You can also customize any way you want it.
corbin2.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
I have a 2017 Springfield. I have been putting off replacing my seat, but an upcoming road trip has me planning. I will be putting about 500 miles in the saddle each day. I have been looking at the Ultimate Tallboy seat for some time, but now I noticed they have the extended reach Rogue seat available from Indian at a decent price. Can anyone tell me how comfortable the Rogue seat is and how it compares to the Ultimate?

Thanks
Can't compare to the Ulitmate but in comparison to 2 different OEM Springfield seats the Rogue is much more comfortable.

With all the seats I have had on my bikes I almost always felt the same impacts through the seat that I felt through the handlebars.

But with the Rogue, I do not. The impacts from the bars are still there but I feel very little through the seat.

So, for me, it is good enough. When I take trips I always get off the bike every 70-90 minutes or 120-150 miles anyway just because I find that I enjoy the ride/day much more than plowing through non-stop.

HTH.

WD./

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a Corbin and IMO, you couldn't do better. The quality and fit is amazing. It also sets you back further in the seat. You can also customize any way you want it.
The problem with the Corbin is that you cannot use the OEM sissy bar with the pillion. I don’t need it often, but I do ride two-up on occasion. The Ultimate seat is the only aftermarket seat that I can use the Indian sissy bar.

·
Rider
815 Posts
Does anyone have a review of the quality of heat on a heat equipped Ultimate seat?

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't compare to the Ulitmate but in comparison to 2 different OEM Springfield seats the Rogue is much more comfortable.

With all the seats I have had on my bikes I almost always felt the same impacts through the seat that I felt through the handlebars.

But with the Rogue, I do not. The impacts from the bars are still there but I feel very little through the seat.

So, for me, it is good enough. When I take trips I always get off the bike every 70-90 minutes or 120-150 miles anyway just because I find that I enjoy the ride/day much more than plowing through non-stop.

HTH.

WD./
I want to get an extended reach seat, as I often find myself sitting on the back of the stock seat. The joys of my 34” inseam. The Ultimate moves me back 1” whereas the Rouge moves me back 2”.

I just checked the Rogue specs again, and it doesn’t work with the rider’s backrest. So, it would be a cheaper option, if I decide to forego the backrest. I have about a week to decide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I want to get an extended reach seat, as I often find myself sitting on the back of the stock seat. The joys of my 34” inseam. The Ultimate moves me back 1” whereas the Rouge moves me back 2”.

I just checked the Rogue specs again, and it doesn’t work with the rider’s backrest. So, it would be a cheaper option, if I decide to forego the backrest. I have about a week to decide.
I'm a big Mustang fan from my previous ride. Do you know if it will work with the OEM sissy bar and pillion?

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a big Mustang fan from my previous ride. Do you know if it will work with the OEM sissy bar and pillion?
According to their website, the Mustang seat will not work with the OEM pillion, and their pillion will not work with the OEM sissy bar because of the width.

I have contemplated getting a solo Mustang seat and a rack for solo trips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been scouring the boards to find out which seat works on the springfield from Ultimate. Is it the Chief/Chieftan model or the Roadmaster?

Thanks in advance. I'm 6'5" and riding it home from the dealer for 40 miles gave me the numb tailbone.

I have the oem backrest, and a grasshopper drivers back rest. I think I can grab just the ultimate drivers seat and keep everything else I've got.

Am I reading things right?

·
Registered
203 Posts
For me, the stock seat was great for around town but for any ride longer that 20 minutes it was unbearable. I have an extended reach Rogue seat on my '18 Springfield and now I can bear an hour and a half ride before my tailbone hurts. I have been eyeing the Mustang classic solo seat, but I think that I will get the Saddlemen "Road sofa" when I have the coin. While the Rogue seat still hurts my tailbone, I'm certain that the reason is due to my being so heavy. I weigh about 315 pounds so the cushion only lasts so long for me. I hope this helps.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been scouring the boards to find out which seat works on the springfield from Ultimate. Is it the Chief/Chieftan model or the Roadmaster?

Thanks in advance. I'm 6'5" and riding it home from the dealer for 40 miles gave me the numb tailbone.

I have the oem backrest, and a grasshopper drivers back rest. I think I can grab just the ultimate drivers seat and keep everything else I've got.

Am I reading things right?
The SF seat is the the Chief/Chieftain seat. The Ultimate seat will not work with the OEM pillion, but should work with the OEM backrest and sissy bar.

For me, the stock seat was great for around town but for any ride longer that 20 minutes it was unbearable. I have an extended reach Rogue seat on my '18 Springfield and now I can bear an hour and a half ride before my tailbone hurts. I have been eyeing the Mustang classic solo seat, but I think that I will get the Saddlemen "Road sofa" when I have the coin. While the Rogue seat still hurts my tailbone, I'm certain that the reason is due to my being so heavy. I weigh about 315 pounds so the cushion only lasts so long for me. I hope this helps.
At 6’3”, 255, I am not having issues with my tailbone hurting on the OEM seat for rides over an hour. This surprises me, as I have had problems with OEM seats on other bikes. My problem is sitting on the back of the seat. If the Rogue seat made that much of a difference for you, it is definitely worth considering.

·
Rider
1,660 Posts
I am fortunate that I have a local guy that about a 39 min drive and he does amazing work. I got mine back today and the difference is amazing. He said there was not much padding in the stock seat and he basically made me a tall boy or version there of. I picked it up today and feels loads better already but if I have to do too much more to it he will have to change the cover. He has both leather and synthetic that matches the tan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts