Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided it was time to remove the pvcx cable I threaded onto my roadmaster. I had forgotten I took everything apart to thread the cable through the frame and up to the handlebars so I found I had to once again take the seat and tank off to pull the cable back through. Since I also had previously installed an admore light I also had those cables to contend with. Long story short I was trying to not have to take the trunk completely off to get the seat off and back on, so I was holding up the trunk and trying to put the seat fastener bolt back on to hold down the back of the seat. That's where the screwup occurred. Felt like the bolt was going into the fender nut correctly but about halfway it felt too tight, tried backing it out and now the fender nut is spinning.

Anyone have their rear fender off their roadmaster and can tell me whether I can just pull the fender off, clamp the back side and get the screw out or is this like a jamb nut and repair requires and entire new rear fender, which is 1600 plus a left testicle.

Stupid move I know but if its possible to get the fender off and replace the nut it'd save me from taking it an hour away with the back of the seat loose, leaving it there a week and a half to find out what they want to do with it, which may be a new fender that I may or may not need. If its a new fender and I can get it already painted factory black I can put it back on myself.

Anyone? I saw a few threads on undercoating so I know someone has seen the back side of their fender.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Get something to protect the paint then use a screwdriver to lever up the bolt whilst trying to unscrew it at the same time, a claw hammer or nail bar will work even better but be careful of the paint. I have had the back wheel out but never noticed how the nut is attached but you will not need a new fender, if the nut is detached you can simply rivet another in place (google nut rivets) if you've never heard of them, cheap to buy and easy to use and the fender would not need to come off.

You could also remove the side section of the rear skirt and jack the back up under the engine this may give you enough clearance to reach the nut between the tyre and the fender, if not then you can simply detach the shock pin and the whole back end can be hinged down giving ample clearance but you will need a bike lift for that.

It's a simple fix one way or another and no need to panic, do not let them tell you you need a new fender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts