Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This applies equally to the four new Chief models, I'm not sure if the Scout uses the same seat or not.
I have not been shy regarding how the stock seat has not worked for me at all and have heard the same complaint from other fairly big riders. (I'm 6'3" and 210lbs)
After about 20 minutes on the stock seat, my but alternates between going numb and on fire. Adding the driver backrest helped a little bit, but it still sucks on a long ride.
Enter Mean City Cycles. Allen told me via email that he can give me what I need on the seat for about $165.00 The seat has been sent off to MCC and I am confident that I'll be happy with the result.
But here we are
Driver backrest - $500
Pass backrest - 800
UPS ship & pack - 240 (ship both ways)
MCC work - 165

I've got nearly $2000 tied up in the stock seat!

I did ride a Chieftain with the Corbin seat and it felt pretty good. So here's hoping that someone can learn from my experience. If you don't like the stock seat, it may be cheaper to just buy the Corbin instead of trying to make the the Indian seat to your liking.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well I have not had an issue with the stock seat, however I do feel it could be a little more comfortable. I have driven a little over 100 miles per ride before I stopped and gassed up or gassed myself up. I rode a victory judge quite extensively leading demo rides and I thought that single seat would not work, mind you I only rode it 12 miles at a crack, but must have put a 120 miles on that day. I just felt there was not enough room and I am only 5'9" and I have short legs. I had a Suzuki Intruder 1400 with corbin and that was a good seat, but I liked the stock Suzuki seat also, it's just the wife didn't like the vinyl brick she had to sit on, nny she only rode one with me after I got the corbin.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am 6'2 I also have a Chieftain what i did was take my stock seat to Earls cycles in Ocala Fl. They took foam out the back of the stock seat I gained about 2" which work out just fine only cost $53. i tried the corbin Demo seats I live right by Daytona thats where they are made it was ok but very firm. I highley recommend have you the stock seat modified.if you need any more info just ask.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most of our local riding on weekend is 250 -350 miles per day. Let me tell ya, the stock seats couldn't cut it, went with Mustang and all is WELL.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The new seats that come with the 2015 Roadmaster are heated. What can we do to those seats to make them more comfortable and not interfer with the heating? And I don't think Corbin or Mustang make heated seats for Indians, do they?

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent the seat to Mean City Cycles in N. Carolina. They were very helpful, friendly and had a great turnaround time. (Sent it in Wednesday, got it back the next Tuesday)
I can feel that it is different. on a quick (40 mile) ride, I think I was aa little more comfortable, but it could have been hopeful imagination. I'm going to try and get a decent long ride in the next few days and I'll let you all know how it works out.
Mean City Cycles - Custom Seat Modifications
They also sell bag liners and some other goodies. I would definitely do business with them again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Send your heated seat to Russell Daylong and have it done right. My build date is in late Aug and the wait will be worth it (having had their seats before)...

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today, I put about an hour on the bike without getting off. The seat is definitely more comfortable on a long haul. I did some highway and some in-town travel and no complaints.
Mean City Cycles did an excellent job and I recommend them highly. Having stated that, if you have issues like I did with the stock seat, the Corbin may be a better (and cheaper) option.
If I were to do it again knowing what I know now, I'd definitely go with the Corbin seat, or maybe a Mustang when they become available.

·
Registered
355 Posts
RAM Motorcycle Mount

The Mustang has been great so far (while I am waiting for my Russell Daylong to come back). Once my new saddle comes in the Mustang (seen above) will be available along with the built-in back rest. What the Mustang does is provide a wider and flatter seat which helps to distribute weight more across the hips. It also seats you back further from the front of the bike. As far as water cup holder I went with a Victory unit mounted on Ram-ball mounts which can also be used for mounting video cams etc. See attached link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned 30 Corbin seats. I love them. I put a Corbin seat on my new 2014 Indian Chief Classic and it makes riding the bike for long distances much more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong - I think the stock seat is very well done - but I have rarely fit well on ANY stock seat. Being a 6'1" horizontally challenged individual I need extra seating area. The Corbin seats are a bit firm for some people but Mike Corbin has correctly figured out that you need SUPPORT not cushion - to make a long ride comfortable. They aren't for everyone but if you give the Corbin seat a try, you may find it to your liking. The company offers lots of customization options.

I paid a little over $500 with shipping and am very happy with the seat now that I have about 1100 miles on it.

corbin copy.jpg

P.S. I hope to also try the Mustang seat for the Chief to compare.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just took my Vintage down to Fl from Ct. Did the coastal route and racked up approximately 1700 miles. Average day was 350 miles. Because I took all back roads some days were much less than others but saddle time was longer. I've done the trip (or one like it) several times before but on what I would consider less comfortable bikes ranging from 1967 Triumph Tiger,1980 Kawasaki KZ900 and 1995 BMW K-75. So , I've never done the trip on a real cruiser with the typical larger seat. In terms of comfort, the BMW was the only bike even remotely close. I am 5'8 1/2" and weigh 175lbs. My experience (strictly subjective) is this;
0-100; Miles Very Comfortable
100-250; Goes from getting uncomfortable to uncomfortable
250 plus; It just seems like you get used to it.
Biggest concern: On days when the temperature climbed past 85 degrees and I was in stop in go type travel, the discomfort level doubled easily.
Having said all of the above, I will say that the bike was amazing. I describe it as a freight train that moves like it owns the road.I especially enjoyed my "end of day" runs when the weather cooled down and I could hit the cruise control set to 75 on some great back roads.For the bike, ....it was clearly effortless. The level of discomfort was not horrible but if I could find a more comfortable seat (that had the same leather look) I would investigate it. Oh, and yes, I did notice the clickety click of the lifters but "whatever" I am totally satisfied with the bike overall. Not to mention the attention it brought almost everywhere I went. I realize this is "my experience" and others may differ entirely, but I hope this is of some help to those inquiring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Russell is the right way to go. And they have a heated option. I'm lucky - only live 10 miles from their shop. Tried the Indian heated seat, returned it. The stock seat was more comfortable. The Russell plus extended reach bars has created a great ride.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My last bike had a mustang seat. Very hard to beat. My Chieftain seat is not as comfortable as the Mustang, however it is still comfortable. I havent made up my mind whether to get a custom seat or give the stock seat more time. I have 4000 plus Kms on it now.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Guess I am lucky to be short. I can ride all day with no problems. Even my sciatic nerve does not flare up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
image.jpg
For those interested I got a new mustang seat with back rest. I then bought mustang passenger seat. The original indian passenger back rest works fine. I thought it would not fit with the mustang seat but fits fine. Therefore I will keep it for when I need to travel with baggage

1 - 20 of 40 Posts