Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the trailer to check on the bike,springs around the corner,and I noticed the seat has now developed cracks in the leather.the other leather has started to shed it's outside coating as well.
This is a 15,and the leather is different from the 14 I've been told.
I bought this bike for the real leather and the one piece crank shaft.
At least I got a great motor,
IMG_20200214_141308565.jpg

·
Rider
1,405 Posts
Have you 'fed' and treated the seat in your period of ownership? I use Meguires Ultimate Leather Balm which also contains UV protection and apply it a few times throughout the season. 2 minute job!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Went out to the trailer to check on the bike,springs around the corner,and I noticed the seat has now developed cracks in the leather.the other leather has started to shed it's outside coating as well.
At least I got a great motor, View attachment 576145
dont blame the seat. from what i see there you never conditioned your leather so this happening is your fault.

·
Rider
986 Posts
Yeah that leather looks like it was never treated. I got a 15 year old HD with real leather original seat that looks and feels better than when it was new, and I only treated it a few times in those 15 years. You can bring it back though. Look at youtube. There are some good vids on restoring brown leather. I think if you would have treated it once a season it would have fared better.

·
Bronze member
2,715 Posts
the “leather” used by IM on their seats is actually some type split leather with a laminate on top. I don‘t think any amount of conditioner is going to rehabilitate that. Once that laminate layer is gone, it’s gone.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I use Leatherique products to condition my leather. Once a year I use Indians leather kit to dye and seal the seat.

Leatherique on Amazon

If the seat is cracked, there's a good chance it can be repaired. You'll want to start conditioning that seat asap and it'll probably take numerous rounds of conditioning to get it back in shape. There are fillers to fill in the crack, sand and refinish with dye and seal.

If the crack is through the leather and is splitting, which it doesn't appear to be that bad from your photo, you can remove the leather from the seat, and use an epoxy or glue on the back side with some leather backing. Use a filler, sand and refinish.

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,787 Posts
At least I got a great motor, View attachment 576145
You didn’t do anything wrong.. it’s “Bonded Leather”
Saddle leather can last up to 100 years.

·
Bronze member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried everything from dyes,(the coating sheds it,and the bare spots soaks it up).I've tried every type of conditioner,could have bought a new seat,(been less money).
Took it too a leather shop and they said I would have to sand off the coating,or use acetone.
I'm not using acetone as this seat drinks mink oil, I'd hate to have acetone into the foam.
Now the saddle bags are doing it and they spend most of the time in the house.
This sucks.

·
Rider
879 Posts
I've tried everything from dyes,(the coating sheds it,and the bare spots soaks it up).I've tried every type of conditioner,could have bought a new seat,(been less money).
Took it too a leather shop and they said I would have to sand off the coating,or use acetone.
I'm not using acetone as this seat drinks mink oil, I'd hate to have acetone into the foam.
Now the saddle bags are doing it and they spend most of the time in the house.
This sucks.
Yup... not even decent Quality IMO I still have a Leather seat or two on Harleys from the '60's and '70's that are just fine!!!
Either get one like the old Pogo Buddy seat ... or??? Have the darn thing recovered by a professional!!!

·
Silver member
4,938 Posts
What SoCal said, I believe it is "bonded leather". Not the highest quality. Could be wrong here but I think the '14s have top grain leather, ie. the real, the good quality leather. '15s and up got the bonded stuff and I think the bonded leather has some kind of coating on it. Coating on Dochardtails seat might have worn off?

·
Bronze member
2,040 Posts
You didn’t do anything wrong.. it’s “Bonded Leather”
Saddle leather can last up to 100 years.
I agree 100% , its ground up something with a thin layer of brown or black I think vinyl and thats IT. nothing penetrate,s it . Best you can do is apply some vinyl UV protection which wont help. Another reason I went with Ultimate seats at least I know there made of good Marine grade vinyl. jusayun---

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a "like new" spare front and rear seat if you are interested in purchasing them. I was always told here to put skidmore conditioner on the leather?
Greg

·
Bronze member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a "like new" spare front and rear seat if you are interested in purchasing them. I was always told here to put skidmore conditioner on the leather?
Greg
Thanks for the offer,but I'm going to have it recovered with real leather,and tooling.(as soon as I can pick the art)

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
This is only a suggestion:But had seat been Armoralled,which keeps the leather soft and pliable,not to mention protecting it from the elements,then more then likely it would not have cracked.I did mine the first week I had it which is something I've done on every motorcycle I've owned, and it worked.So there's something ya might wanna try to prevent it from cracking any further or if ya get a new seat.

·
Bronze member
1,315 Posts
My seat started doing that right after it went out of warranty, and I conditioned it every month, even on the road.

·
Bronze member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've used mink oil,leather conditioners,took it to leather shops,nothing worked,it started out of warranty,now the bags are doing it.
This leather has been so babied,I can't believe it.i have mostly older Harley's,shovel and earlier.never have I had this happen.had a western saddle maker recover a seat for me once.never did anything to preserve the leather,it remained perfect,even when out in the rain.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts