Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm in the process of making a few upgrades to my 2019 Chieftain Classic. I will be upgrading the seat soon. Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated. The four I read the most about are
Russell Daylong - I'm not a big fan of the look .
Ultimate - I read great reviews but I don't think I want a vinyl seat
Mustang- No opinion
Corbin- I'm leaning this way but Id like input from anyone that's had one
Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a Corbin and it is awesome. However, you will see mixed reviews on Corbin. I was able to go to the factory and get it custom made. This is the first seat I had with a backrest and it is a game changer. I highly recommend a backrest with whatever brand you choose. Good luck with your search.

Phil

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,731 Posts
Every seat will be different to every butt. I had 6 different seats on my 2014 Chieftain and the one that did it for me was the Ultimate Tall Boy. Mustang was close. Stock, stock rebuilt and Roadmaster seats all were terrible for me. However, I know people that like the stock seat and others that were comfortable on a Roadmaster seat.
Unfortunately, if you really plan on doing some long distance rides, this can be an expensive road to comfort.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My Ultimate Tall boy is tan LEATHER and matches perfectly. I have 70K miles on the seat and it is still comfortable just like day one. I don't like the remote fob for the heated seats so I bought a sheepskin from Alaska leather.

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check out Saddlemen too. I can attest that they have great customer service. Never had Corbin but some people have had bad experience with the customer service.

·
Bronze member
1,898 Posts
I am a huge Corbin fan. Had one on every bike I have owned. Having said that, for my new 2021 Springfield Classic, I'm giving Astech seat modification a try. They embed a gel pad underneath new, tempur like foam. I really hope it works for me and my wife. If not, it's back to Corbin.

·
Bronze member
1,179 Posts
Hello All,
I'm in the process of making a few upgrades to my 2019 Chieftain Classic. I will be upgrading the seat soon. Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated. The four I read the most about are
Mustang- No opinion
Thanks for the reply's
Got a Corbin on my RM........ best seat I've ever owned

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I don't own a chieftain, but I do own a Russell day long. I'd agree with you that there are better looking seats. The question, imo, comes down to what are you going to do with it? People refer to a "long" ride, but what is a "long" ride? The definition of long will vary from person to person and from bike to bike. A seat that feels good for 200 miles in a day may not feel good for 300. One that feels good for 300 may not feel good for 400.
I've done 800 mile days on a stock seat. Towards the end of my ride the only thing I could think about was my aching ass. The last few hours were spent with the back of my thigh riding the seat and my ass hanging off of the bike.

Conversely, using a Russell seat, a couple of years ago I left Scottsdale Arizona and when I rolled into Winnemucca, NV some 800 miles later my concern wasn't my ass. My concern was if I choose to continue onto Boise, another 250 miles, am I going to find gas late at night and if I hit the wall, will there be a place to lay my head. Its refreshing to be on a seat that doesn't have you concerned that your butt will be your limiting factor.
Obviously, the seat is only one part of a successful combination for a comfortable ride, but can prove to be integral.
Maybe you don't NEED a Russell seat. However, if distance is your plan, the ride is so much better! (Keep in mind that comes from a 50 some year old with DAS....disappearing ass syndrome:))

·
Bronze member
1,432 Posts
I have had 3 of the 4 seats you are considering. I'll give you my two shekels on them:
  • Corbin - Have a corbin on my Vintage and Springfield. Good quality and if you custom order you can get it the way you like. Takes a while to break in. For me, each seat took about 2K miles to feel like it was comfortable. Have run multiple 300+ mile days and never had an issue, but anything longer than that and I get some hot spots on the backside.
  • Mustang - Had one of the on an old Vic 92C and a Kingpin. Very comfy seats, well made and built to last. Have nothing bad to say about the Mustang.
  • Russell (RDL) - I have one on my RM as well as my Cross Country. Hands down, these are the most supportive and comfortable seats I have ever had on a bike. I have done iron butts, multiple 700+ mile days (many times back to back) and have never had any issue related to seat comfort. When I get a Challenger, I will likely get and RDL for that as well.
In the end, it matters how you ride and what your tendencies are. When I am on a day-trip (usually less than 400 miles) the Corbins work really well for me. For my long distance touring, the RDL saddles on my RM or CC are the only way to go. And living in MN, it's basically 1K miles plus to get anywhere of real interest, so that means a lot of "utility" riding days where it's slab to get to the good spots and the RDL makes that a little more bearable.

Reactions: TechRider and Xsv

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have the corbin dual touring on my Springfield. I absolutely love it. It does actually set you back and up a little bit, so it changes the dynamic of the bike, but after a couple hundred miles, it felt good. After 1K miles, it is fantastic.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I did a ton of research and thinking.... and went with the ultimate tall boy w driver backrest. this thing is incredible. I did 1800+ miles in 4 days this summer and I never got squirmy, tired, uncomfortable. worth every penny

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Everyone! To be honest I don’t think I’ll ever see much more then 300- 400 miles in one day unless I’m on a plane. We usually take a 7-10 day ride around the Colorado, Arizona, Utah and Wyoming area. After a day or two I’m hurting and looking for different positions to sit. In the past few years we rented bikes out there but this year I’m sending my prize bike to reside in Monte Vista Co for a few years. I see Ledzepdad said his Ultimate is leather. I must have missed that option as what I read stated they use vinyl. I will look into that as they do have a good reputation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just finished a ground up restore of a Harley and went with a mustang touring seat for rider and passenger. Gotta say it’s nice...if I ever replace the stock seat in my CDH I’m thinking it will be mustang too.

·
Early joiner
74 Posts
Hello All,
Mustang- No opinion
Thanks for the reply's
I have the ultimate and love it. Long ride/short ride all comfortable. Had a Corbin as well on a Harley ... no complaints there either. All about looks and in your case the vinyl which is no issue for mine.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts