Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my seat off the other day and noticed 4 black scuff marks ( which really stuck out on my white paint. For the cost of this bike, Indian should have put a little effort to making sure the painted surface under the seat is peotected. Remembering what my Yamaha Warrior had on the rear fairing to protect the paint, I went ahead and ordered some clear vinyl paint protector from Amazon. After cleaning the scuff mark off, I measured and cut a piece to cover the area. Applied a drop of dawn dish soap in spray bottle and added water. Sprayed the soapy solution on to the fairing(area that I was applying the vinyl( this helps with moving to position the vinyl 8n desired location). Removed the paper backing of the vinyl(I was wearing latex gloves so that no oils from my fingers would be transferred to the tacky side of the vinyl which by the way is the side I was placing against the fairing). Once on the fairing, I used a clean face cloth to work bubbles and soapy solution from under the vinyl towards the edges. I have posted pics below of the area before cleaning the scuff marks off and after it was cleaned with vinyl in place. Also description of 3M vinyl package in case someone else wants to do this. We will see how this hold up over the course of riding(time)

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
The area under the seat isn’t exposed when the seat is in place. You don’t see the contact points where the seat makes contact with the fender...

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
That's pretty common on any bike. Every bike I have ever owned leaves that mark in the clear coat from the rubber seat grommets.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The area under the seat isn’t exposed when the seat is in place. You don’t see the contact points where the seat makes contact with the fender...
Very true. I cleaned mine up just so should and option to go with a solo seat comes up, I won't have to look at those ugly marks that may possibly by then have worked their work permanently into my paint job.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I have never owned, or for that matter even seen, a motorcycle that didn't get scuffs under things that were mounted to painted surfaces. This includes under the seat, under the dash if so equipped, under lights, struts, etc. It just is something that happens. I don't know how one would even think it was some kind of issue, to be honest.

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
And because you can't mount a solo seat to our Challengers.....yet..... I guess this is a moot point, as you'll never see those "blems", once you put the seat back on. Just put a furniture felt pad under the contact points....however, when they collect road dirt, dust, grime and other stuff, those small contact points will become like sandpaper. I think that will make it worse. Your solution is probably the best!!!

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
455 Posts
My Chieftain (Ultimate seat) literally wore 2 marks down the black raw fender! And no one has ever ridden on the back. Ultimate sent me a fender bib to cover it when I do a solo config, but I later discovered it was not Ultimate's fault but rather this is an Indian issue with soft paint. I did do some touch up paint but like your idea.

·
Rider
747 Posts
As others have mentioned this is common on any bike. A few bikes I have owned have had a 3M or similar film to protect the paint and others haven't. The 3M film is good to protect the paint, but doesn't look good when only the solo seat is on. I guess that you could always remove and reapply new as needed.

Every time I take my seat off, I always clean and usually wax the fender while the seat is off. In addition, I always clean the rubber pads before reinstalling the seat. Grit on fender or pad will wreak havoc on the paint if not cleaned off when the seat is reinstalled.

I have never had a matte paint job on a bike before and do have a question. On my gloss painted bikes, I have used a rubbing compound, or scratch remover to clean areas like what is being mentioned when there are scratches or rub marks in the clear coat. What if anything can be done on matte paint when you have a similar defect???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Matte paint sucks to try and get small scratches out. If you try and buff it out, the matte finish will actually start to shine making it worse IMO than the scratch. If anyone who has found a way, I would love to know. I just have to live with the small scratches. But on the up side, I don't think they stand out as much then on my gloss stuff.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My Scout had clear plastic protectors under the seat where the rubber stoppers hit the paint and under the pillion seat as well. But my Challenger had nothing. I put on a Corbin Saddle and added black pads that actually are holding up much better than the clear plastic did on the Scout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts