Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened...short of replacing the heat shield I figure the best way to fix it is to get some matte black high temperature paint unless anyone has any better ideas. Anyone have any tips? Thoughts on best way to apply? I read using a Q-Tip is the best but that seems odd to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd say yes. Definitely worth getting a quote. I doubt you can buy just one heat shield and the set from Indian will most likely be around $ 250. Maybe $ 200 on Ebay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blend the scrape with some 400 grit sand paper then paint . I doubt anyone will notice. Did you scrape it cornering?
I wish. Rookie mistake...I came in hot and kissed the curb in front of my house like a moron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're local dealership probably has a pile of take-off shields from guys installing aftermarket pipes. Depending on how friendly you are with them, you may be able to get a smoking deal. It'd be worth a shot anyway. A lot of places sell their take-off parts on ebay as well.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
In that position I'd be happy with touch up paint, but there are others who wouldn't even think of doing it.

I'd smooth it with some wet/dry, mask off with a straight line along the top, and paint it with some hi heat blister paint so it looks like a rub zone from factory. Trying to make it invisible probably won't work, so go for making it different.

All battle wounds are honorable in my view. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're local dealership probably has a pile of take-off shields from guys installing aftermarket pipes. Depending on how friendly you are with them, you may be able to get a smoking deal. It'd be worth a shot anyway. A lot of places sell their take-off parts on ebay as well.
Absolutely! A few years ago, I dropped a microfiber cloth on my hot pipe and it melted to the heat shield. As I tried to get it off, I scraped the shield. Went to my dealer to buy a replacement, and he had several out back left over from guys putting aftermarket pipes on. He gave me what I needed for free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts